What To Do?

Business By ljhow623 Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 12:04pm by ljhow623

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #1 of 13

So in May I took an order for a wedding cake. 125 servings. After serveral discussions with the Bride we finally came up with a beautiful cake design for her.

Well the contract that she signed state $50 non refundable fee to book. Balance due 30 days prior to event.

Now I have a full time job and she is a co-worker at my job. I have a side business with cakes for extra money.

Well being a nice person, I went to her office and reminded her on Monday that full payment was due this week. Being nice I gave her till Friday (Payday). Well the response I received was not comforting to say the least. She stated "Oh, I was meaning to talk to you about that, can I pay you xxx amount of dollars for the next 4 weeks." Oh I was very angry with that. The contract clearly states full payment due 30 days prior. I explained to the bride that the money she is paying me is buying the supplies for her cake. She gave me a sob story and I had to walk away as I was about to say something I shouldn't have.

Anyway an hour later she called and said she would have the money to me today. Which I did receive full payment this morning. However now I feel kind of torn. I feel terrible but it's a contract. I promised to make her a beautiful wedding cake and she paid me. But since this happened all the excitement is gone about making this cake. I've already put about 20 hours in making flowers.

What do you do? I'm just very disappointed and I know I have a contract but man this bites!

12 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #2 of 13

This may sound mean but she may have been trying to play on your sympathy about a sob story about the money. I know the thrill is gone but give her the beautiful cake she contracted for and be done with it.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:13am
post #3 of 13

Be honest and tell her how you feel. BUT, let her know that although you are sorry and feel bad, you HAVE to have the money to buy the ingredients etc to make the cake. You totally understand her financial issues, but you have your own financial issue and can't "front" the money for her cake.

Regardless you will make her an amazing cake and in the end she will LOVE it and all this will just be a speed bump in the road.

Good luck with however you handle it!! I really want to see pics of the cake when you are done - that many flowers sounds amazing!

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:15am
post #4 of 13

You may be annoyed with her, but if she did pay you in full all ready you have to keep up your end of the contract. Sometimes if people have a relationship with you whether personal or business, they feel you will be lenient with them when it comes to payment. Don't let it get you down.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:17am
post #5 of 13

Business is business, and believe me, if you let one person do it, you are going to end up letting all people try to do this to you. And trust me, they will find out.

Stick to your guns, and let it be that. Since she has paid the full price, give her what she is to expect - a perfect, delicious wedding cake, and discuss it with her no more.

Give it to her without regret, or you will stress yourself out so much about it that the stress will show in the final product.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:24am
post #6 of 13

Time to do the Happy Dance!!! you are paid in full ahead of schedule....
Enjo making the cake.... icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:33am
post #7 of 13

There's nothing to do at this point. She paid, you have a contract, you make a beautiful cake. In the real world of full time caking, this happens all the time.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:43am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

Business is business, and believe me, if you let one person do it, you are going to end up letting all people try to do this to you. And trust me, they will find out.

Stick to your guns, and let it be that. Since she has paid the full price, give her what she is to expect - a perfect, delicious wedding cake, and discuss it with her no more.

Give it to her without regret, or you will stress yourself out so much about it that the stress will show in the final product.

I ditto that!!!

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:01am
post #9 of 13

Oh it is so much easier to be tough about a contract when you don't know the person well.

I might write her a quick email thanking her for the payment and letting her know this helps you in getting her cake done. It might make you feel better.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:12am
post #10 of 13

I go with Chef Leah and MosMom. Writing a Thank-You that is handwritten and not put on her desk or in box or whatever at but is mailed through good ol' US mail will take the sting out for both of you. You for doing the right thing and her because she will see that you sympathize with her.

angel951747 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angel951747 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:16am
post #11 of 13

Friendship and business are a delicate subject. The fact is...business is business and has nothing to do with what goes on when we are hanging out. You don't need to feel bad. Try to put your passion into the cake and never let anyone take your joy

angel951747 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angel951747 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:16am
post #12 of 13

Friendship and business are a delicate subject. The fact is...business is business and has nothing to do with what goes on when we are hanging out. You don't need to feel bad. Try to put your passion into the cake and never let anyone take your joy

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:04pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks for the replys. You have made me feel much better about the situation.

One wedding cake coming up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%