Question About Contest Rules

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 2:47am by Kate714

Kate714 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I'm helping to organize the 1st ever cake decorating contest at our local (New England) state fair. The woman from the fair is asking ME to clarify...in the rules, we stated that everything must be edible. A contestant has asked the fair woman if she can use floral wire for flowers and she wants to put lights on another cake. What do you think? I'm thinking floral wire would be okay but no lights. Or should we say no to the wire too?? icon_confused.gif

Thanks!

3 replies
Kate714 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 4

anyone?!?? icon_biggrin.gif

roosterroses Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:40am
post #3 of 4

I guess I would have to ask what the intent was when establishing the "all edible" rule.... if it was to eliminate plastic figures, silk flowers, porcelain ornaments, etc. and concentrate on supplies used to create edible decorations, then I would say that floral wire is a commonly used item to create edible flowers, whereas lights are not. If, however, the intent was to eliminate all possible ingestion of non-edible items in every bite of every decoration, then both items would be out.
Hope this makes sense.... then again, it's your contest - what you say goes! Enjoy it!!

Kate714 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:47am
post #4 of 4

Thanks Lauri - I think the intent was the former, so I think we will go w/wires are okay for flowers. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%