Stress Free Support Or Sps?

Business By Solecito Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 4:13am by leah_s

Solecito Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 21

I need to try one of these systems due to an accident I had with a stacked cake. So what do you think guys? What system do you like best and why?

20 replies
CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 21

I like the single plate system, but I have never tried to Stress-Free system, so take it with an honest grain of salt icon_lol.gif ......I could never in a million years afford $165 (or whatever) on a system that I send with people. I can't ask for a deposit twice the amount of the cake (poententially) and too many people could accidentally damage/throw away the SFS system, not to mention, even if I bought one, what would I do on a weekend with two stacked cakes due??

I took Leah's advice (major SPS advocate - I truly hope she owns stock in that company because I got it because of her and I love it!! thumbs_up.gif ) and it worked like a charm. I think she uses them as disposable but I have 'explained' them to "friends and family" orders so they don't throw them out and if it were a "stranger order", I would take a modest deposit to cover the cost in case they did.

I did the stage cake in my pictures using the SPS for the bottom (couldn't use it for the top since it was a half-circle) but the base was secure and the little plastic nib held the cake board nicely. HTH

CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 21

Here is another reason why I would go SPS over SFS icon_smile.gif

Solecito Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:51am
post #4 of 21

I see your points, but I don't do much stacked cakes, most of them have pillars, so there's a big chance I won't need them for 2 cakes in a weekend. And I would ask for a deposit, I mean a 3 tier cake won't justify $130 dlls os deposit, I'd charge accordingly.

It just seems to me that the Stress free system it's easier to use because my cakes don't end up 4" everytime, and I'd need to cut the sps pillars, I can't add more filling to make them taller because of the cost.

So if any one has another comment, please share it. I aprecciate it very much.

peacockplace Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:13am
post #5 of 21

Well... that link was about me. My ring wasn't returned, but I did charge enough to cover replacing it. I love, love, love this system. I deliver my cakes stacked and love the security of the Stress free system. For me the name says it all. It makes cake delivery stress free!

CakeryBakery Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:19am
post #6 of 21

I actually have both and love them both! I use the SFS on the larger more expensive cakes, particularly when servings exceed 200 guest and I am stacking cakes with fillings and fondant. The SPS is used most often. I haven't had a problem getting the pieces back for either so far. b

Solecito Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:43am
post #7 of 21

Thanks to all of you. I liked the idea from CakeryBakery about having both and using the Stress Free on the more expensive cakes.

I have to decide soon. I just wanted to organize my expenses because i really need an Agbay cake leveler, and I really want to buy one of the cake-pillar systems.

leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:01am
post #8 of 21

::runs in to thread::

CakeDiva, No sadly I don't own stock in the company that makes SPS! I like it because of what I always say. It's cheap, easy and sturdy. And I do treat it as disposable. My customers love not having to keep up with cake parts and return them later. I love not having to stress over getting cake parts back. Venues love it becasue it's easy for them to get it our of the cake and continue with their job of cutting cake. And they love not having to keep up with cake parts also.

Cheap, easy, sturdy. What more could you want?

kjt Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 21

Hope this won't be considered thread hijacking, but I have a question about the SPS.
Leah sent me detailed instructions, and it really seems like a great system. Okay what's the problem??? I can't for the life of me figure out how to always get the cakes to be an exact height icon_redface.gif ...any body else have this dilema? (I can see Leah shaking head and rolling eyes.)

TIA, and thanks for the thread. The stress of transporting stacked cakes has taken about five years off my life...assembling them at the venue, about four and a half thumbsdown.gif

vrmcc1 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 21

I have the same problem with the height of my cakes. I have been buying the 9in high pillars, they have score marks on them which make them easier to cut.

southerncake Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:54pm
post #11 of 21

I pretty much always cut my SPS pillars and it is super easy!

My system is pretty much like Leahs in that I don't ask for them to be returned, charge a deposit, etc. Some customers return them anyway, which is nice.

I feel so good about a cake that is supported by the SPS system. It is amazing!

Mandica12182 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:54pm
post #12 of 21

I had the same problem wit the cake height....I luckily purchased those scored 9in pillars too....I am now baking my cakes in 3 inch pans to try to get them taller.

I think an agbay would really help us to know if our cakes are going to measure up.

I had a wedding cake a few months ago....I baked them all ahead of time which I never normally do but it was a huge order so I had to....anyway...I went to use the sps system and OMG my cake was soooooo short...I had to rush and bake another layer to get it tall enough!

beachcakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:06pm
post #13 of 21

I had the same problem about the height. I had cooled overnight and leveled each layer to 1 7/8" allowing 1/2" for one layer filling, and icing/fondant. When I had filled/assembled, it was 1/2" off. :'( Maybe it settled? So i torted each layer. That helped. But obviously I'm doing it wrong!

jessieb578 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:16pm
post #14 of 21

I want to use the SPS system as well and even got the info from Leah (thanks btw!) but my cakes for whatever reason never come out the exact same height! I don't know if it's experience or what that helps with that, but I'd love to know how to do it. Even if I put the same amount in the pans each time, they come out different.

jessieb578 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 21's a sight that has a great picture of the inside of a cake with the sps system.

raquel1 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:12pm
post #16 of 21

Thanks Jessieb for the link. It cleared up things for me icon_biggrin.gif SPS is what will work for the size cakes I usually make.

leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:46pm
post #17 of 21

::shakes head::

Really guys?

I do have an Agbay and that helps a lot to get each layer in the tiers to the height I want. And let me clear up this one thing - If your cake domes (and frankly most do) and you have to cut that off, then your entire tier might not be 4" tall - you know around the edges where the layer probably slopes a bit. This is not a problem. the part of the cake that needs to be 4" tall is the middle where the legs are. If you have to use a little extra icing to damn up the outside edge, that's OK.

I generally use the Wilton chart for how much batter to put in the pans. It's a little skimpy on the 8" round and overfills another one, but generally pretty close. Then for filling, I measure it, so that I get the same amount between each layer. For measuring I use a portion scoop.

yellobutterfly Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:49pm
post #18 of 21

thanks for the link jessieb, I'm definitely a visual learner!

Question - can you use the SPS for a stacked cake? Also, what if the customer wants a square cake? Leahs - do you use the SPS on large cakes as well? I have one in Nov. that is 16" rd, 12 in, 8 in and 6 in stacked - will that SPS support it? Or should I go for the SFS?

leah_s Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:34pm
post #19 of 21

Yes, I use SPS for stacked cakes every weekend. I also use it for 5 and 6 tier cakes ALL the time. It is very secure.

yellobutterfly Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:31am
post #20 of 21

leahs - what about squares/shapes? do they make plates for these? do you deliver them stacked or stack on site?

leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:13am
post #21 of 21

SPS comes in round, square and heart. I deliver 2 - 3 tiers stacked, only because I can't lift any more than that. Basically you can deliver whatever you can lift. I do like to put the top tier on onsite, and check for level one last time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%