To Avert Another Big, Round Disaster...

Decorating By Tashablueyes Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm by Mac

Tashablueyes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 10

I made a torted 2 layer 19 inch cake for a friend, and it broke on me. Rookie problem, I know, but I AM a rookie! LOL Anyway, I'm going to make a similar cake and I am wondering, was it just the fact that I used a boxed cake mix? I am planning to do a chocolate WASC, and I think this will be fine, but what do you think?

9 replies
JoAnnB Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 10

19" round is a very large piece of cake. It would be very fragile in the center. If you have a flat metal sheet to use to transfer the cake layer, or torted layer, it would help.

smbegg Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 10

I am not sure how it borke? Could you be more specific? Did it break while you were trying to put the top layer on?

I just use large cardboard circles to place the top layers on so they don't break. I do not believe that it had anything to do with box mixes. That is all I do.

You just need to be slow and gentle

jibbies Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 10

Sorry you had this problem. Any time I am making something bigger than a 12 inch I freeze the layers after I torte them and before I fill them so I can move them without breaking. Then when they are in place I just let them thaw, it takes very little time and then I go on with the decorating.
Hope this helps!

Molly2 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 10

Did You bake your cake in a half pan or a whole full circle round pan

indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 10

Being box had nothing to do with it. I've used box mixes for 25 years ... lots of large cakes in my history. Large cakes are just more delicate because they are large and require super special handling.

BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 10

Gosh, most home ovens won't even handle a 19 inch cake! I, personally, won't bake anything larger than a 14 because of poor heat circulation when the pan hits the sides of the oven.

If pushed, I'd bake in the 1/2 round pans (16 or 1icon_cool.gif, torte each half, fill, and re-assemble rotating the top halves 90 degrees from the bottom ones so that the seams don't line up.

When I do bake a 14, I put the entire layer on a 14 inch board (3/16th inch foamcore), torte it and then slide in a thin, 14+ inch cardboard to remove the top half. I fill and then gently push the top half back into place. Smaller cakes I can usually pick up the top half barehanded pretty easily, but not the 14 inchers.

Tashablueyes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:40am
post #8 of 10

Duh! That's a typo! LOL! It was a 12 inch cake!!! Sorry! Yeah, I think ANY 19 inch cake I tried would crumble!

kimmypooh79 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:12am
post #9 of 10

I use box mixes and I don't have a problem. The white cakes that only use egg whites are very fragile as they are lighter so I use the whole egg recipe. I also add 1 small box of pudding, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 1 more egg. SOOOOOO yummy!

Mac Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm
post #10 of 10

Any cake that I need to torte (over 10"), I freeze first.

And the same with a 2-layer 14"-16" cake that I just need to put the top layer on--semi-freeze and then put on the bottom layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%