Help With Picking A New Edible Image Printer

Decorating By SweetDreams Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm by fiddlesticks

SweetDreams Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 20

Wouldn't you know that I have cakes this weekend that need edible images and I can not get my printer to print nice clear pictures. It keeps saying the cartriges are jammed and they are practically brand new. I currently have a MP130 Canon (a two cartrige printer). This is not the first time I have had problems with the quality of color, clarity and ink cartriges jamming.

So my question is, is there a really good quality printer out there (nice clear pictures) with little problems. I know I am asking for the moon, but something not too pricy would also be nice.

Also, If I can not end up getting a printer this week before the cakes, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get my images printed?

Thanks so much for your help!

Angela

19 replies
twooten173 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 20

don't get the canon pixma3000. too many problems. Couldn't get mine to turn on last week. Finally just printed with regular in and didn't remove backing. Thank goodness it wasn't for a paying customer.

SweetDreams Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:14am
post #3 of 20

Thanks twootn173.

Any other advise out there on what printer has worked well for you?......Please

foxymomma521 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:26am
post #4 of 20

I have the Canon IP3500 and really like it. I've only used it about a half dozen times though... With everything it was about $160...

tiggy2 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 20

I have an epson all in one and I love it! It's about 1 1/2 yrs old and has never given me a bit of trouble. It sits for months at a time without being used and has never clogged. The images are clear and the colors are good. There are a few in my photos if you want to see the quality.

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 20

I agree with tiggy2!! I love My Epson all in one! It has beautiful color and has never clogged yet ! I have some scatterd pictures in my photos as well !

sunnigirl Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 20

I too am looking for a printer (my first)and almost bought one a few weeks ago but got cold feet.
Is there a model number for the Epson all in one? Is an all in one a printer, scanner ect....
Also where do you buy your cartridges and printer paper?
Thanks!!!! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 20

My all in one is a printer, scanner, and copier. It's a CX4200 but that model is no longer available. Go to www.kopykake.com and see what epson printers they have cartridges for then you can get your printer from an office supply store or ebay. They also carry frosting sheets.

iramirez94 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 20

I was shopping for one also. I was looking at an Epson from Office depot.. it think it was the cx7400. It was $69.99

malishka Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 20

o.k. someone please explain to me how this print stuff works.
from what I understand, these are regular printers for everyday computer use. Am i correct?
do you put in special edible ink?
does every printer have edible ink cartriges for them. And what kind of sheets/paper would you use to put onto a cake.
sorry, don't mean to sabotage the thread.

chefjulie Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #11 of 20

How long does the ink last you? Im looking at prices, and the ink costs more than the printer!!

summernoelle Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:48pm
post #12 of 20

I am really wanting one. So do you just load them up with edible inks, anduse rice paper/frosting sheets and that's it?

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:10pm
post #13 of 20

I have the Epson CX8400 but the Epson CX7450 will also work! I get all of my supplies at kopykake.
Yes you have to buy edible Ink and icing sheets. And you can use any reg printer that you can get Edible Ink for. But you have to use a new printer that has never had reg ink run through it !

SweetDreams Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:19am
post #14 of 20

Wow,

I went to Amazon and looked at the epson cx7400 and the cx8400 and got a little nervous when I saw all of the negative reviews. A lot were talking about the paper jamming (print stopping in mid-flow) when the ink needs to be replaced and not being able to get paper out. Anyone had this happen?
Also, kopycake ink is really expensive, $72 per shot. Does the ink last very long? Can you just get refills after your first cartridge purchase?

Thanks for the input so far.

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:23am
post #15 of 20

You can purchase refillable cartridges on ebay for the epsons and then buy the refil lkit from kopykake for about half the cost of new cartridges.. The cartridges I got on ebay reset themselves so you don't need to mess with a chip resetter like you do with kopykake's cartridges. My CX4200 has never jammed on me but I don't know anything about the two you mentioned.

fiddlesticks Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:35am
post #16 of 20

My Epson CX8400 does not need a chip resetter.
SweetDreams.. I have not had 1 problem with my Epson CX8400. I would buy it again in a quick second,It has been perfect since day 1! I have even let it sit for a few weeks in between uses and it still worked perfect !
I dont know anything about the cx7400. Of course everyone has to buy what the feel comfortable with !

yvette131 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:10am
post #17 of 20

FIDDLESTICKS someone elso also recommended the epsom cx7450 but where do you get the ink from? Kopy kake doesnt have that model listed as compatible.

fiddlesticks Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #18 of 20

I do purchase the ink from KopyKake, although it's not on their list! It's a set of four cartridges and the set number is TO695SET....for Epson X6000 series....but it works perfectly for my printer!
yvette131. I did see your post earlier and wanted to email a friend that uses that model also ! What I posted here is the answer she emailed me !
I use My Epson CX8400 and love it ! I just wanted to pass that on, I hope it helps some ? Maybe you can call or email kopykake and talk to someone there !

weirkd Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm
post #19 of 20

OOh thanks! I was just on ebay yesterday looking for a printer just for this! I had looked in Target and saw they had a couple of really cheap printers but the models werent listed on Kopycakes site. They have a DX7450 and I believe it was a CX7450 they had on sale for $39. The Canon they had was also not listed so I went on ebay looking and saw some for $28 that were on the chart.
I really want to buy one because I have a cake in Nov. that has edible image postcards I need and it would cost me a bundle if I buy them done for me.

fiddlesticks Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #20 of 20

I just want to add I dont have the CX7450. I passed that info on from another cake buddy ! Whoever.. may want to double check with kopykake before they make any puchase, on making sure the ink works with their model ! HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%