Need Help Decoding A Recipe!!

Decorating By queenuvhearts8 Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 2:37am by hellie0h

queenuvhearts8 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 3

I want to make this "Oklahoma Crude Cake" for a couple who is moving to Tulsa this summer.

I found this recipe, however, it looks nothing like the picture (there appears to be a caramely filling layer as well as a chocolate mousse layer toward the bottom).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could tweak the recipe to make it look like the picture?

The pic: http://cafeoklahoma.com/images/OK_CrudeCake_sm.jpg

Oklahoma Crude Cake
2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup shortening
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
4 eggs
1 7-ounce jar marshmallow crème
1½ cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cocoa

Icing:
1/3 cup cocoa
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 16-ounce box of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 sticks of margarine, softened
1 cup pecans, chopped

Yield: 12 servings
Preheat oven to 350°. For cake, cream together sugar and shortening; add eggs and continue to beat. In separate bowl, sift together flour, salt and cocoa and gradually add to creamed mixture. Add vanilla and nuts, if desired. Pour batter into 9 x 13-inch cake pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes. Remove cake from oven. While cake is still hot, spread marshmallow cream on top; allow to cool. For icing, mix together cocoa and sugar; add margarine and remaining ingredients. Spread icing on top of marshmallow layer.

2 replies
taxnerd Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 3

I found a similar receipt at cooks.com. It's actually called Oklahoma Fudge Cake. The link is: //www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,196,154168-229197,00.html[/url] If the link doesn't work, just go to cooks.com and do a search for Oklahoma Fudge Cake. This one is also one layer, but it does call for browning the marshmallow layer in the oven, which is probably the caramel layer that you're seeing. The only other thing that I can think of is that maybe, since the recipe you found (I also found the same one you posted when I did an internet search) looks like it's a particular restaurant's specialty they've done some sort of variation on the recipe trying to make it bigger and better. Maybe they're making two small round cakes to be stacked one on top of the other, torting them, and putting icing and/or marmallows between each layer.

hellie0h Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:37am
post #3 of 3

This recipe is almost identical to the Mississippi Mud Cake I use to make in the 1960's-70's.
The cake is almost fudge like and I agree, the caramel you think you see in the pic is the marshmallow.
I don't believe the cake would be torted, I think what you see in the pic is the fudgieness (I know that is not a word, lol) of the cake.
Miss. Mud cake calls for mini marshmallows and not marshmallow creme.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%