Question About Pricing On 3D Cake... Help!!!! (Please)

Decorating By miamiar Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 2:28pm by miamiar

miamiar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miamiar Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 7

I am so hoping some of you pros out there can help me out a bit. I made this cake for a Grooms cake in a wedding this past weekend. I am having trouble coming up with a price for it. It is one that I am apparently going to have many more requests to do again, but this is only the second 3D cake I have ever done, and the first I have done as an order. First was for my sons birthday. If you are willing and have a moment please look at the pics I have posted. The cake I have in question is the Razorback hog. It was about 11 x16 or pretty close to it. Thank you soooooo much!!!

6 replies
ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 7

I am ssssoooooo glad you posted this forum. Honestly, I was just about to log on and start a new forum with this very subject when I noticed your posting on CC home page. My situation is alittl different... my groom's cake is a depiction of the groom's dog; however, they want a quote now before I begin to bake the cake and I have no clue where to start. In the past, although this would be my first carved cake (that I was paid for), I have always grossly undercharged all my other cakes. I know how much work goes into a carved cake and I don't even want to undercharge this bad boy!! Thanks for posting this forum and I look forward to seeing the replies!!! ~ Jaime

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 7

I am by no means a pro-pro compared to some of the other cake decorators on Cake Central but I can tell you how I charge icon_redface.gif .

First, Not counting mini tiny cakes (like the apple or big cupcake in my photos) any carved cake is a minimum of $50 off the bat. (those minis I did for $25).

Then I ask the buyer how many they want to serve. I figure the amt. I usually charge for 1/2 sheet or full sheet plus an additional $20. I do tell them that a slight amt. of cake will be lost because of the carving process.

How much cake did you bake to carve out your razorback?

miamiar Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 7

I baked a 12 x 18 and used my PC batter bowl to make the wonder mold size. The bowl part was stacked on a corner of the sheet to make it taller, and tehn used up most of the rest for the head and all. The whole thing was cake with the exception of the legs (gumpaste covered with fondant).

laynie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laynie72 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 7

I have only done 2 both of them a horse ( in my pictures) he was carved out of a 16" square pan and I charged $200 about 2.00 a slice I was told it was under priced.

Best wishes icon_smile.gif

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiar

I baked a 12 x 18 and used my PC batter bowl to make the wonder mold size. The bowl part was stacked on a corner of the sheet to make it taller, and tehn used up most of the rest for the head and all. The whole thing was cake with the exception of the legs (gumpaste covered with fondant).

If it were my cake, I'd probably charge $115 but I'm sure I'd have some people tell me it's under and some people tell me it's over priced. My skill is not as good as to laynie72. I kow-tao to your horse Laynie thumbs_up.gif
But I just raised my prices a little because one of my "customers" told me they were to low. I never really thought of charging per serving for the carved/3-d cakes. It's a good idea thumbs_up.gif

miamiar Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so very much, I really appreciate all your willingness to help me out with this!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%