She Lost My Sfs Ring And She Wants Her Security Deposit Back

Business By peacockplace Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 2:21pm by BabyBear3

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 12

I use the Stress Free Supports and love them. I have never had a problem getting them back until now. I charged a $75 security deposit. When the equipment was returned the 8" ring was missing. I told her I'd give her back $25 (which I shouldn't have done because the contract says that everything needs to be returned by a certain date to receive the deposit back) I used the $50.00 to buy a new one. I had a wedding the next week and had to have another one.

I think I'm going out of my way to help her out. What do you all do about situations like this?

11 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 12

I think you cut her a nice deal. If the groom lost his tuxedo jacket, I'm sure she would understand losing her deposit. How is this any different? Maybe this will motivate her to pursue it with the venue a little more. You had to buy equipment to replace what she lost. How is that your fault?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 12

I have my customers sign an Equipment Deposit contract where I list each item and the total amount of the deposit. I used to itemize, but found it too confusing for my customers.

My deposit includes replacement cost plus overnight shipping (to avoid the very problem you faced yourself), plus enough to encourage the customer to return my stuff. The more you charge, the more likely you'll get your stuff back.

When I had a customer return the rings, but not the legs, I deducted the amount for the legs from her deposit. Replacement cost + shipping + penalty at my discretion (enough to bring it up to a nice, round number).

I don't think it's fair to keep the entire deposit if some of the equipment was indeed returned, so I agree with how you handled it. She doesn't have anything else coming to her.

It's funny how no matter what lengths you go to, people still manage to lose your stuff. I give my customers a prepaid Priority Mail box with the list of equipment stapled to it. All they have to do is throw the rings and legs in and hand it to the mail carrier.

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I have my customers sign an Equipment Deposit contract where I list each item and the total amount of the deposit. I used to itemize, but found it too confusing for my customers.

My deposit includes replacement cost plus overnight shipping (to avoid the very problem you faced yourself), plus enough to encourage the customer to return my stuff. The more you charge, the more likely you'll get your stuff back.

When I had a customer return the rings, but not the legs, I deducted the amount for the legs from her deposit. Replacement cost + shipping + penalty at my discretion (enough to bring it up to a nice, round number).

I don't think it's fair to keep the entire deposit if some of the equipment was indeed returned, so I agree with how you handled it. She doesn't have anything else coming to her.

It's funny how no matter what lengths you go to, people still manage to lose your stuff. I give my customers a prepaid Priority Mail box with the list of equipment stapled to it. All they have to do is throw the rings and legs in and hand it to the mail carrier.

Okay, I really like the prepaid Priority Mail box idea...what size do you use? Also, do you have a copy that I could view of your Equipment Deposit Contract? I'm thinking about getting the SFS system, so this would be great! Thanks!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 12

I use the rectangular Priority Mail box (don't know the dimensions). I can print a prepaid label right from my computer.

Now, if a customer has to return a large board, unfortunately, that can't be done via mail. I offer my customers the option of returning the board in person or just 'buying' it. Most of them opt to pay the extra twenty-five bucks plus the cost of the Priority Mail package rather than going to the trouble of schlepping everything back to me.

My equipment deposit contract is a Word document. If you email me, I can send you a copy.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 12

Hey girl, I think you did good! You should stand behind your contract. If they signed it then I wouldn't give them anything back. If you change anything I think DianeLM way of doing things sounds excellent! GO GIRLS!! I live my dreams through you!! icon_smile.gif

BTW... I LOVE your new website Kristy!!!!

peacockplace Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you all for the support. She was a little irrational earlier. She wanted me to give her all the stuff from the cake "since I wouldn't use it again" if I didn't give her money back.

I'm not sure what stuff she wanted. The fountain... the acrylic stand? I have no idea. I told her there wasn't anything to give her since she didn't purchase anything. She rented the fountain and the stand and paid a security deposit for the safe return of all the equipment.

TC thanks! It took a long time and I'm still trying to get it just right. Did you end up going to ICES? I had a wedding and then we left on a trip. Go figure... the one time it's two hours away and I can't go.

tcturtleshell Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:19am
post #8 of 12

Looks like she's just looking for some money back. Go figure. Sorry she is giving you a hard time.

Yes! I did go to ICES! You should go read this thread
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=595808&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

it tells a bit of what we did. I had a blast!!! I sure wish you could have come. It would have been nice to finally meet you~

Stick with what you feel is right with this bride. You can handle her! thumbs_up.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:32am
post #9 of 12

Ok, not trying to suck up here, but peacockplace, you are my new favorite decorator! Your new site is awesome! You are so talented. Every single cake is just perfect!

peacockplace Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:53am
post #10 of 12

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Wow! Thanks... that is so sweet of you! I love what I do so much and my business is really starting to take off. I'm so excited that people are noticing my work and that they like it!

TC... now I'm really jealous! It sounds like you all had so much fun! Sorry to hear about all the pushers though. That's a downer. I absolutely have to go next year!!!

tcturtleshell Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:43am
post #11 of 12

I hope you do go next year & I get to go again too. I'm not sure if I qill. DH & I have been wanting to go on a cruise. If we do that then ICES is out. ICES verses cruise... CRUISE! DH is willing then I'm going! icon_smile.gif LOL!

Yeah, the pushers did ruin it a bit for me. If I go again I guess I'll have to push back! St. Charles, IL will probably be a blast!

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:21pm
post #12 of 12

what are the stress free supports that you are talking about? I"m just starting out in the business and I'm curious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%