Whipped Cream Frosting - How To Decorate?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 1:53pm by cakebaker1957

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 13

I'm thinking of making a strawberry shortcake type cake with whipped cream topping. Since it will be a whipped cream frosting, what do you recommend I do to decorate it? Are fresh fruit/strawberries my only option? Or will piping or decorating with buttercream on top of the whipped cream a possibility?

Anyone have any favorite shortcake and whipped cream recipes they'd like to share? Thanks!

12 replies
miny Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:47am
post #2 of 13

You can also use chocolate decorations, and yes, you can use BC but it's tricky because BC is heavier than whipped cream and may cause it to pull off the cake and may bleed too.

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks for the advice. I had some previously made drop flowers and hearts (buttercream) that I used. I think it was ok because they were dried. I could see where "fresh" buttercream may have been too heavy. icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 13

sorry to jump in but i was wondering if the whipped topping will pipe good, i have a over the hill cake the tombstone pan to do this saturday and she likes a not so sweet icing but i was concerned about the texture will it let me star in the detail that i need?? Also will it need to be refrigerated??

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 13

I believe it does need to be refrigerated. I used Wilton's stabilized whipped cream recipe yesterday for my cake. I did put some in a piping bag with a star tip and made stars and shells. I thought I read somewhere that you can color whipped cream, but that it has to be pastel colors. The stars and shells turned out ok, but I did make it about 3 hours prior to serving it. I don't know if they would've lasted longer. Good luck on your tombstone cake!

panchanewjersey Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 13

Actually I always use Pastry Pride whipped icing, it's non dairy and works real well. I always use it and it turns out just fine. I have even piped using buttercream and it doesn't weigh it down or anything and doesn't bleed. It doesn't take dark colors as well, have tried but taste great. As a filling I use 2 cups of whippes PP, 1 package of strawberry jello and 3 baskets of strawberries cut in to med-sm pieces and mix together, let chill for about 1-2 hours. It's so good and everyone will love it! Hope this helps.

cakebaker1957 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

Actually I always use Pastry Pride whipped icing, it's non dairy and works real well. I always use it and it turns out just fine. I have even piped using buttercream and it doesn't weigh it down or anything and doesn't bleed. It doesn't take dark colors as well, have tried but taste great. As a filling I use 2 cups of whippes PP, 1 package of strawberry jello and 3 baskets of strawberries cut in to med-sm pieces and mix together, let chill for about 1-2 hours. It's so good and everyone will love it! Hope this helps.




This sounds good, i cant get Pastry Pride where im at, would this work with homemade whipped icing?? And is that fresh berries? I bet this has to be refrigerated as well.
thanks

panchanewjersey Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 13

I'm pretty sure homemade whipped stuff will work never tried it, but yes that is fresh strawberries and it should be refrigerated. Although we were at a baby shower outside last weekend and I made a belly cake with this stuff and it was really hot outside (95), the cake sat out well and nothing happend to the cake or the filling. So try it you'll just never know until you do.

cakebaker1957 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

I'm pretty sure homemade whipped stuff will work never tried it, but yes that is fresh strawberries and it should be refrigerated. Although we were at a baby shower outside last weekend and I made a belly cake with this stuff and it was really hot outside (95), the cake sat out well and nothing happend to the cake or the filling. So try it you'll just never know until you do.




You know i never thought of the belly cake being filled, i just thought it was one big lump of cake , Ha thats so funny, any ways thank you for your info i will try one of these later on this month right now up to my eyes with Birthday cakes, Thanks a million Happy Bakin to you. icon_wink.gif

panchanewjersey Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 13

Actually you misunderstood, the bottom of the cake was whipped cream. The belly cake itself was just cake no filling. Sorry I guess I should have explained better.

cakebaker1957 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

Actually you misunderstood, the bottom of the cake was whipped cream. The belly cake itself was just cake no filling. Sorry I guess I should have explained better.




I did misunderstood, thats so funny, thanks so did the cake sit on the whipped cream or what still not getting it, Its Friday and my brain is fried,

panchanewjersey Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 11:22pm
post #12 of 13

Customer didn't want fondant or buttercream. So I came up with an idea to make the belly cake out of fondant of course, covered the cake board with fondant and decorated it. Made a 1/2 sheet of white cake with my strawberry filling covered in whipped cream. I added pillars, placed the decorated board with the belly so that it layed right on top of the pilars it barely touched the cake. I then decorated around the board to make it look as if the cake was actually made out of the same thing. I used buttercream to pipe my border and it turned out real nice, was a hit at the shower. I tried to upload the actual picture and it won't allow me, problem w/cc. But I did post the belly on board, look at it in my profile. Sorry so long. Hope you get the picture though. lol

cakebaker1957 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:53pm
post #13 of 13

[quote="panchanewjersey"]Customer didn't want fondant or buttercream. So I came up with an idea to make the belly cake out of fondant of course, covered the cake board with fondant and decorated it. Made a 1/2 sheet of white cake with my strawberry filling covered in whipped cream. I added pillars, placed the decorated board with the belly so that it layed right on top of the pilars it barely touched the cake. I then decorated around the board to make it look as if the cake was actually made out of the same thing. I used buttercream to pipe my border and it turned out real nice, was a hit at the shower. I tried to upload the actual picture and it won't allow me, problem w/cc. But I did post the belly on board, look at it in my profile. Sorry so long. Hope you get the picture though. lol[/quote
Thanks i get it now very clever.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%