Need Ideas For 80S Themed Birthday For 20-Something Male

Decorating By APrettyCake Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 11:05pm by TC123

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 17

My daughters friend is having a small (30 ppl or so) party this weekend and it is 80s themed. These kids were barely walking in the 80s, let alone part of the "genre"... icon_rolleyes.gif
So...being a teen/young adult in the 80s myself, I remember what it was like, but I have no idea how to put it in cake form, without using a rubix cube, MTv or legwarmers?? icon_biggrin.gif
Any ideas out there?

16 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 17

Exactly how old is this guy? There were alot of toys and cartoons that you could use that were very popular during that time period and depending on the ages of the people they very well might remember them.

My Little Pony
GI Joe
He Man
She Ra
Transformers
Fragile Rock (sp?)
Mr. Roger's Neighborhood

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 17

Heck, my first thought was a rubik's cube. How about Dukes of Hazzard?

trichardson1229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trichardson1229 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 17

This question was asked on another website and here are some of the replies that was given
Movies:
Dirty Dancing
Flashdance

Music:
Cindy Lauper
Michael Jackson
Madonna
Duran Duran

Activities:
Roller Skating
Arcade Games

Technology:
VCRs
CDs
Atari
NASA Space Shuttle Launch

Toys/TV Shows:
TMNT
My Little Pony
Smurfs
Care Bears
Strawberry Shortcake
Cabbage Patch
Transformers
Incredible Hulk

And of course, there is the fashion and hairstyles!

HTH

APrettyCake Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 17

Oh yes, the fashion...can't forget the Madonna-wanna-be's and the thin pink and purple ties for guys icon_razz.gif
He is 19...and a musician. He wants all of the "ugly a$$" colors (his words, not mine lol!!) like neon yellow, green, pink and orange.
I will probably do the standard "record" cake with neon deco and border...

Jeesh - couldn't we have been a little more creative in the 80's???
icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks for the ideas. Maybe I will give him a "My Little Pony" for his b-day!

trichardson1229 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 17

I got it and this will cover all the "ugly ass colors"

Pac man. He was neon yellow and all the little mops monsters that tried to catch him, not to mention the cherries and other aids that helped pac man.

APrettyCake Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 17

Actually, incorporating pac-man and other 80's memorabilia is a good idea icon_smile.gif I was thinking doing the record top, then on the sides make little figurines of pac-man, a little rubix cube, the MTv symbol, maybe a transformer...
Kind of an all-in-one effect. Too much?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by APrettyCake

Too much?

NEVER! That's what the 80s were all about...big hair, big clothes, big everything....

Maybe you should go all out and use staircases with plastic figurines and a fountain. Oh no, somebody better close the can of worms I probably just opened.

trichardson1229 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 17

No I think it would be "gnarly". Kind of like a cake collage

APrettyCake Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 17

Having all that with the big fountain/staircase display would be awesome! What a fun wedding idea icon_biggrin.gif Valley Girl meets Prince!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:28pm
post #11 of 17

My 1st thought was Big Hair Bands. And since he's a musician.... How about something like a keyboard border (those dang synthesizers were the thing back then) & I thought of something like this for a topper. Not necessarily w/ wafer paper, but the look of it, reminds me of big hair. Could easily be done w/ gumpaste.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1202616

APrettyCake Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 17

I LOVE the piano keys idea...I think I will use that. Not so sure I have time to experiment with big hair, but that sure is a neat cake icon_smile.gif Mine would end up all floppy - like dirty hair, not so much big! icon_razz.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 17

With gumpaste it would be dry in about an hour! That stuff dries soooo quick I love it when I don't have to worry about someone eating it. And you can roll it super thin. If you had 1/2 a styro ball you could cover it in gumpaste & glue pieces to it b/c you wouldn't need something as big as the cake I posted. It's just that cake reminds me of "big hair".

Not saying you have to do it, but it would be easier to do than it seems.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:19am
post #14 of 17

One of my first thoughts about the 80's was "boom boxes". Remember people struttin' around with them propped on their shoulders?
(((Kick up the bass!)))

I can't wait to see what you do with this one!!! I'm sure it'll be way cool! Or "totally tubular"! icon_razz.gif

APrettyCake Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 7:02pm
post #15 of 17

Thank you ladies for ALL of your wonderful ideas! The cake is the latest in my pics...I am very happy with it. I think he will LOVE it! The ideas you gave me were like "Oh my god!" (In my most pathetic valley girl pitch icon_razz.gif )

dandelion56602 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:29pm
post #16 of 17

The cake turned out great! How in the world did a cassette slip my mind? I so remember making tapes of all my favorite music. If he doesn't love it then he needs a little persuasion. I know it'll be a hit!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:05pm
post #17 of 17

Wow!!! That came out AWESOME!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%