Pregnant Mom Cakes

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 9 Jul 2013 , 8:35pm by BrandisBaked

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 40

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who feels this way, but I just think those pregnant mom belly cakes for baby showers are disgusting! I've seen many that are done impecably well and the cake decorator's talent is obvious, but just the concept of the boobs and prego belly make me grossed out a bit. I would never want to eat a piece of cake from that. Like I said, I have seen amazing work on these types of cakes, it's just the concept of the cake I don't understand as appealing or "cute". Am I alone?

39 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 40

No, you're not.

And most expectant moms I know do not want a visual reminder of how big their tummy is right now.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 40

I actually like the belly cakes, but I can see why one wouldn't. Everyone has their own tastes and that's why there are gazillions of cakes here on CC. Personally, I don't like topsy turvy cakes or cakes with edible images of people. I can just imagine sitting there looking at my plate with the piece of cake that had aunt Lucy's face looking right at me.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 40

whew... I'm not alone. For some reason those cakes disturb me... I dunno, you're there to celebrate the baby's impending arrival, and you are cutting up the mother's belly? I always imagine you're killing the baby and eating it to celebrate it coming. lol.

I did make one (*sigh* not my choice, was doing it with a friend who really really really really wanted to make a belly cake and wouldn't back down on the choice. I ended up doing all of the work, save for the flowers on the band) and you can tell it isn't my best work.. although it was a good lesson never to collaborate with that friend again. (we "co-hosted" although I paid for everything, set it all up, had the party at my tiny apartment, and ran the party and games, and did the clean-up and well... she took half the credit.)

lol, can you tell I'm bitter? Sorry for getting off topic and venting. Don't think I'll make a belly cake again unless I'm paid for it!

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 40

I could not agree more! They are awful. And worse yet - how about the ones that actually look like little babies. I saw one on here yesterday. The thought of cutting that up was stomach turning.

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 40

I have a belly cake and a baby bum cake. I'm a double offender. Oh well. The people who requested them loved them.

I'm not offended. :p Different strokes ya know.

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 40

I think the belly cakes are so cute. however I do see the other side to it too. I have been wanting to make one but haven't had the chance yet. I guess it comes down to the people you make it for. If THEY are grossed out about it or not.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 40

Nope..I dont like them either.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 40

I actually love them...but then, I love pregnant bellies and have had pregnant photo shoots and pregnant belly casting done!

As far as cutting into it...it's just cake. If it's good cake, I can eat it no matter WHAT it looked like...icon_biggrin.gif I can eat Santa cakes at Christmas and lamb cakes at Easter and witch cakes at Halloween, too. I can eat the bridal dress cakes, too...

Now, the cakes that are litter box or toilets...I would still partake, but I don't like those. But then, they are completely different. A baby is joyous and happy...poop is just...well...poop. Besides, it's not like you are showing the mom popping out a placenta, too...

Basically, I will eat anything!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 40

Nope - totally not alone. I love my DS more than anything in the world but I did not enjoy being pregnant AT ALL and those cakes are not my thing.

But other people love them so as with anything, different strokes for different folks.

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 40

Heee! They should always be red velvet cake...and have a hidden plastic baby inside for luck to the recipient who finds it??? (Don't they do that with King cakes?)

Yeah, kind of frightening thought cutting into any human-like cake But for some reason, a cake shaped like an animal doesn't disturb me so bad.

trulyjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyjulie Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 40

yuck, I agree the talent is great but personally I don't care for them. The ones where the just do a silhouette are cute. But not for me, I wasn't one of those skinny things with a basketball stuffed under my shirt. My whole body was pregnant from my earlobes to my toes. So I wouldn't want a belly cake or the cute skinny with belly silhouette. The baby ones are weird to me too. A little figure is cute but I saw a whole baby on top of a 11x14 it covered the whole top, that would be weird to slice into.

sweets2thesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweets2thesweet Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 40

Are we allowed to post links on here?  http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2011/2/7/the-cake-cannibals.html  I think the last cake in this post wins as the Best. Belly Cake. Ever!

If the link doesn't go through, check out Cake Wreck's post The Cake Cannibals. :)

BayBeecakes7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayBeecakes7 Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 9:34pm
post #14 of 40

There Super Cute! and so fun to make! :) Iv had so many clients request them! I Love It!!!

slapsappyhappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slapsappyhappy Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 12:03pm
post #15 of 40

AI saw some really disturbing ones on cake wrecks with the baby's head popping out of the belly, I often wonder if the moms are horrified! Here is a good one that has a lot of the same cakes http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/baby-shower-cakes-made-of-nightmares Btw the push cakes seem to be really popular, idk if I would ever make one though!

sweets2thesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweets2thesweet Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 12:59pm
post #16 of 40

Yikes!  Those buzzfeed cakes are not censored like they usually are on Cake Wrecks! :)  I can't imagine why any mom would want to eat any of those cakes.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 1:04pm
post #17 of 40

I don't like the belly cakes either. What happened to the cute little "welcome baby" cakes?

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 2:10pm
post #18 of 40

BLECH! I'm with you. I think they're creepy. Especially the ones with the little foot poking out. It's definitely a matter of taste though, since the idea of being pregnant creeps me out a little anyway :) The allure of putting sonogram pictures on cakes escapes me too. Why do I want to eat your placenta again?

mskerrih Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskerrih Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 5:11pm
post #19 of 40

AI think they're cute. I've done several of them. They are quick and easy! As long as the client is willing to pay, I'll make almost anything. I make several of the baby butt cakes every week. I dont know why it's such a "controversy". Lol. I make erotic cakes too.

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 5:27pm
post #20 of 40

AI love pregnant belly cakes!! They are so cute, but I can understand why someone wouldn't. Cakes with people's faces on them, now that freaks me out.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 5:28pm
post #21 of 40

Oh Thank God, somebody finally said spoke up.  Thank you.  I hate those things and am glad no one has ever come to order one.  I also hate the baby butt cakes with the feet.  Its not even a cute design.  Reminds me of kids playing around with cake,  not even professional.

newbe86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbe86 Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 6:11pm
post #22 of 40

AI thought I was the only person who thinks those cakes are just wrong. I agree, I've seen some decorated beautifully but the idea of getting a price of momma-to-be's boob on my plate just weirds me out. There are so many other ideas for a cake for a baby shower... No bellies and boobies please.

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 7:17pm
post #23 of 40

When I first saw this cake, I thought it was awesome and I couldn't wait to make one for someone. Problem is I know no one who is having babies. Then a woman at work became pregnant and I offered to make the cake for her baby shower.  I thought it was a super easy and fun cake to make and I was proud of how it turned out.  Fast forward to the cutting of the cake...let's say she nor no one else wanted to cut into the pregnant bell of the cake.  We found that at that time it was rather morbid to do the cake in the pregnant belly form.  While it was still cute if you weren't slicing it open, it's rather odd when you do.  Even before we cut into it, when we had the table set up, they put the big knife right next to it.  I moved it b/c that looked awkward to have a knife sitting next to a cute pregnant belly even if it was just cake!

msdato Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msdato Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 9:25pm
post #24 of 40

AIv just had a baby (shes 3 months now) and this weekend been iv made a belly cake for a client. I think they are fun, would have loved one myself! Im not going to sit there and think into the disturbing side of it because thats not what the celebrations about. Its about light hearted fun :D

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 10:38pm
post #25 of 40

I find them utterly revolting, and won't make them. And yes, I have been asked to make them several times.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 10:49pm
post #26 of 40

AI made one. Thought it was weird, but I got paid a good wage for such an easy cake. I would prefer not to do one again, but if it pays the bills...

newbe86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbe86 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 4:59am
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRae80 

While it was still cute if you weren't slicing it open, it's rather odd when you do.  Even before we cut into it, when we had the table set up, they put the big knife right next to it.  I moved it b/c that looked awkward to have a knife sitting next to a cute pregnant belly even if it was just cake!

That is what I find disturbing about those cakes... Lets put a knife right next to the prego belly! Even though I am not into them, I'd make one for someone else, if I couldn't persuade them into a more appealing design. Everyone has their opinions, but I just do not like the belly cakes.

Dianka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dianka Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 5:04pm
post #28 of 40

Definitely cringeworthy.  The baby butt cakes aren't any better.  Have seen one on Pinterest recently that looks like a Santa type sack with feet poking out of the bottom with a tag that says "A Blessing from God."  A Blessing!  Wahoo!  Now let's slice it up with a sharp knife.  Yuck.

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 5:20pm
post #29 of 40

I made one earlier this year, and they are still talking about it. Everyone loved it, and although I wouldn't want a Thank You card, with a picture of an amature C-section, it seems to be the thing for now. I think the belly with a cute dress is fun enough, and I'm not a fan of the footprints, nor anything more grotesque. I watched them cut it, and it was just typical cake cutting to me, although the men seemed to argue about the boobs. LOL

Bitzidee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bitzidee Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 7:11pm
post #30 of 40

ANope, I wouldn't make one or eat it. I have problems with cakes that look like human anything, lifelike animals and the like. Just really gross me out. I have seen some beautiful dog cakes but really? You want to eat precious Fido. I really don't like footwear on cakes either. I have seen some stunning shoes but they belong on feet not on food. I just have a weak stomach.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%