So darn jealous!!! Check out this site

Baking By jessieb578 Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm by born2bake

CocoaBlondie Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:15am
post #31 of 56

icon_eek.gif

grumpyx07 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:41am
post #32 of 56

Don't they do cookies for Starbucks? That could be why they are bringing in so much money that's a huge client. I hate those cookies, I don't think they taste good at all...but my mom and sister LOVE them.

TC123 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #33 of 56

Hmmmm.... I might have to try these some time, JUST to see what they're all about! I bake from scratch and use at least some of the same brand and/or type ingredients. Wouldn't it be TOO funny if they taste the same? icon_surprised.gif
P.S. I wasn't too crazy about their gallery, though... icon_confused.gif

nyyankeeinkc Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:02am
post #34 of 56

Those of us from NY know how popular Black and White cookies are. They do require more work than a simple solid iced sugar cookie, and they taste fantastic when made from scratch.

Having said that, just keep in mind that this company caters to clients in the city where cost of doing business is much higher than in many suburbs around the country. Their major client base is also corporate clients and gift buyers- people who tend to spend more than individual buyers looking for baby shower and birthday cookies.

TC123 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:42am
post #35 of 56

Perfectly said nyyankeeinkc! Looks like they're out of Binghamton, about an hour from me... I'm thinking... Road Trip!

loriemoms Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:24am
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankeeinkc

Those of us from NY know how popular Black and White cookies are. They do require more work than a simple solid iced sugar cookie, and they taste fantastic when made from scratch.

Having said that, just keep in mind that this company caters to clients in the city where cost of doing business is much higher than in many suburbs around the country. Their major client base is also corporate clients and gift buyers- people who tend to spend more than individual buyers looking for baby shower and birthday cookies.




I agree, there is nothing better then a well made black and white cookie. Those who havent had them, they aren't just sugar cookies with icing on them...they are like little cakes. I love them!

bakinccc Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:30pm
post #37 of 56

They look like the type of cookies that would go over very well at a very "mod" (modern), high-end dinner party/corporate event. Many of us decorate cookies very well, putting a lot of talent and detail into our designs but their cookies look better suited to that ultra-modern arena. Just look at the art the decorators are creating on the decorating shows on HGTV. They put a few swooshes of paint colors on a canvas and call that art! Not much detail...very plain. It's amazing what people "think" is art these days! Personally I think they're way over-priced for what you're getting.

sweetcravings Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:35am
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I think The Black & White cookie company have about THE most annoying gallery I've ever come across online! Who thought that was a clever idea? icon_confused.gif
(Click the "Cookie Gallery" link on the right-hand side of the page to see what I mean...argh!!) thumbsdown.gif




I agree, the most irritating gallery around! thumbsdown.gificon_confused.gif

Monkess Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:00pm
post #39 of 56

Pretty shabby website

banba Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:57am
post #40 of 56

pull it apart all ya want, like it or not, they're doing something right to be earning that and that's worth admiring either way!

MystiqueFire Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:28am
post #41 of 56

I know it's disgusting and hate me if you will, but I would justify spending $100 on black and white cookies. Granted, I have a bit of $$, but even when I didn't have $$ I still went and bought some.

One thing about me? I hate cake, hate donuts, hate iced cream, but i LOVE cookies... and I agree, they aren't just a sugar cookie with icing... they're half chocolate have icing circles of heavenliness....

And now I want one. icon_mad.gif
Jasmine

barbaranoel Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:15am
post #42 of 56

This post got me craving B&W'S and since I'm in Ohio, NYC I just can't run to the bakery and get one.

I did some searching and found this recipe and just finished eating one that I had made an hour ago - MMMMMMMMMMMM !!

Just like I remembered. Now I can't wait for the icing to harden a little so they'll be more like I remember - I haven't had one for 12 yrs now I can have them all the time, as long as I get the ambition to make them.

They were very easy to do.


http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/BLACK-AND-WHITE-COOKIES-106171 icon_biggrin.gif
Barb

deetmar Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:44pm
post #43 of 56

I love black and whites. We will take a cab clear across Manhattan just to get a good one. I always bring a big box back to Iowa with me, and they are gone before we get home. The kids fight over who is going to pick us up from the airport, just so they can get the black and whites.

I would love a good recipe for them, have not found one yet.

Thanks guys, now my mouth is watering.

weirkd Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:59pm
post #44 of 56

Reminds me of William Sonoma's stuff. Like right now in their catalogue their featuring stuff for Halloween. Like a pumpkin cake that feeds 6-8 people for $100!!! Damn! What did they do? Bake the Great Pumpkin in it! And I thought that $30 for the one I made might be pricey!! They also have brownies on a stick dipped in chocolate for $26 for 4. So I guess if your rich and have the money to burn then that is a drop in the hat! But us poor folk are reduced to eating better tasting stuff at an less expensive price!...poor us! boo!hoo!

SweetDolly Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 7:10pm
post #45 of 56

Unless I'm completely off base, these are being marketed for corporate ordering/gifts. When the exec. assistant has the boss' credit card, $40 for a dozen cookies is nothing. Having worked in the rat race for many years, people making these type of buying decisions don't want to have to fuss with personally picking colors, flavors, etc. They want to click through a gallery or two to see what what's going to show up, find out how many they sell because that's how they deem it to be a quality product, punch in the cc# and click 'Send'.

I pull my motivation from knowing the people eating my products enjoy them and are ordering from me because they respect my talent; not because I do an extraordinary volume of business.

Sorry, just really hating on Corporate America lately. Only my two cents! icon_biggrin.gif

Jocmom Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 7:57pm
post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiescakes

Unless I'm completely off base, these are being marketed for corporate ordering/gifts. When the exec. assistant has the boss' credit card, $40 for a dozen cookies is nothing. Having worked in the rat race for many years, people making these type of buying decisions don't want to have to fuss with personally picking colors, flavors, etc. They want to click through a gallery or two to see what what's going to show up, find out how many they sell because that's how they deem it to be a quality product, punch in the cc# and click 'Send'.

I pull my motivation from knowing the people eating my products enjoy them and are ordering from me because they respect my talent; not because I do an extraordinary volume of business.

Sorry, just really hating on Corporate America lately. Only my two cents! icon_biggrin.gif




You hit the nail right on the head.

A couple years ago our department decided to buck the system and purchase gifts for our clients ourselves. First we spent time debating what to buy - that was a nightmare because on one could agree. Then we had to make the purchases - we used our corporate credit cards, which meant we had to hang onto receipts and reconcil credit card statements. Then we had to deliver the gifts - in winter - in Michigan - when we should have been working.

I received an email last week stating that I have to decide by October 1st which of my clients are receiving which level of Christmas gift this year. The gifts are all food items - gift baskets, chocolates, etc. - all overpriced. I just have to type "A", "B", or "C" next to the client names on a spreadsheet. Someone else does the ordering. I can have the gifts delivered right to the clients - a card is enclosed stating that it's from me. No wear and tear on my brain - no driving around in the snow this winter. A few clicks on my keyboard and it's all taken care of.

If you want to make big bucks, target Corporate America. If you can save them time, they'll spend the extra money.

KathysCC Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 8:23pm
post #47 of 56

Just a sidenote to this thread. I went to go look at this website Black and White cookies and my computer firewall is telling me there is something wrong with the security certificate on that site. I won't override it to go there. I am way too careful after getting viruses from even "good" websites.

You guys should be careful if you get warnings from your computer in case the site has been hijacked or hacked and contains a virus. I saw someone mention that it isn't a very good website and am wondering if something might not be fishy with the link at the moment.

weirkd Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 8:39pm
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiescakes

Unless I'm completely off base, these are being marketed for corporate ordering/gifts. When the exec. assistant has the boss' credit card, $40 for a dozen cookies is nothing. Having worked in the rat race for many years, people making these type of buying decisions don't want to have to fuss with personally picking colors, flavors, etc. They want to click through a gallery or two to see what what's going to show up, find out how many they sell because that's how they deem it to be a quality product, punch in the cc# and click 'Send'.

I pull my motivation from knowing the people eating my products enjoy them and are ordering from me because they respect my talent; not because I do an extraordinary volume of business.

Sorry, just really hating on Corporate America lately. Only my two cents! icon_biggrin.gif


Well put!

Homemade-Goodies Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 9:38pm
post #49 of 56

Thanks for the link for the recipe, barbaranoel - I'd love to try out what the hype is.

As for the website, I find it frustrating as well - I have no clue what a "Black & White Cookie" IS, and there is really nothing anywhere that details what it all means/is/contains. And as for the gallery...I second Antonia74's opinion. If you click on the picture it should offer information at a minimum.

Anywho...only just my humble opine.

tlcakes Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 10:47pm
post #50 of 56

I believe this is my first post on the site, I have been a lurker for about a year now. icon_lol.gif

sweetcravings Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:18am
post #51 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Reminds me of William Sonoma's stuff. Like right now in their catalogue their featuring stuff for Halloween. Like a pumpkin cake that feeds 6-8 people for $100!!! Damn! What did they do? Bake the Great Pumpkin in it! And I thought that $30 for the one I made might be pricey!! They also have brownies on a stick dipped in chocolate for $26 for 4. So I guess if your rich and have the money to burn then that is a drop in the hat! But us poor folk are reduced to eating better tasting stuff at an less expensive price!...poor us! boo!hoo!




I just checked out their website...DANG!!!! icon_eek.gif

born2bake Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:13am
post #52 of 56

I quickly went through these postings and am confused / curious over the angry nature of this website and posts. How is this any different than Debbie Fields selling cookies or Cheryl & Co (YUMMY cookies) http://www.cherylandco.com or your website / business selling cookies. What's the reason, the purpose behind bashing the people / website who are pricing / selling their cookies? They are being bashed because you think their prices are to high for the amount of cookies you would receive, yet if they we're selling a large amount of cookies for very little cost, then there would be a thread bashing them for underpricing their goods and making the rest of the cookie making world look over priced.

I'm sure I'll get bashed for this posting, but I'm truly trying to understand why these type of postings are done. What purpose does it serve?

Jocmom Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:50am
post #53 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bake

I quickly went through these postings and am confused / curious over the angry nature of this website and posts. How is this any different than Debbie Fields selling cookies or Cheryl & Co (YUMMY cookies) http://www.cherylandco.com or your website / business selling cookies. What's the reason, the purpose behind bashing the people / website who are pricing / selling their cookies? They are being bashed because you think their prices are to high for the amount of cookies you would receive, yet if they we're selling a large amount of cookies for very little cost, then there would be a thread bashing them for underpricing their goods and making the rest of the cookie making world look over priced.

I'm sure I'll get bashed for this posting, but I'm truly trying to understand why these type of postings are done. What purpose does it serve?




OMG! I LOVE Cheryl & Co cookies. They come in cute containers or just in a plain box . . . either way they are so good!

aligotmatt Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:31pm
post #54 of 56

I didn't read everything... but when I go up to NY to visit my family, I always go to this little bakery and get a big black and white and I spend $4 per cookie. And it's worth every penny. mmm...

weirkd Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:55pm
post #55 of 56

I know a lot of people that do that too. They go to Little Italy and buy pastries there because their so good.
I dont think anyone is angry or bashing anyone, I think its just that we are amazed at how much people are willing to pay for something. Its sometimes worth it and sometimes it isnt. I guess it just comes down to your pocketbook and your priorities.
And I think the "reason" behind posting some of these is to get other people's opinions.
I can never understand why people get so bent out of shape over things. Im the type of person that if something isnt said to me directly, move on. End of story! I think people need to avoid fighting over the small stuff and just get along. The purpose of this site is to view opinions, get advise, learn new things and just talk to fellow cake decorators.

born2bake Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #56 of 56

Jocmom - for the last 4 years we get them at our company at Xmas time . . . for me, it's the most wonderful time . . . . of the year! (singing icon_biggrin.gif
aligotmat - when I go back home, Central New York area, 1/2 moon cookies (black & whites) are in the top 5 foods I seek out the minute I cross the NY state line.

weirdk - "The purpose of this site is to view opinions, get advise, learn new things and just talk to fellow cake decorators." AMEN!

For those wondering, it's roughly a 4" round soft sugar cookie with a dense vanila cake type taste, with chocolate frosting on one side, vanilla on the other side, some do buttercream flavor frosting, some add a shine to it. I've always known them as 1/2 moon cookies. They're awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%