What Do You Have In Your Touch Up Kit For Repairs?

Decorating By Solecito Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 1:47am by joy5678

Solecito Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 12

I mean when you deliver a cake and/or stacking on site, what do you usually carry? And what do you use to carry the items on?

Just wondering....

11 replies
msmeg Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 12

extra frosting a pastry bag full of the frosting and the border tip ready to go, extra flowers, extra leaves, a knife camera and extra batteries
asprin and a diet pepsi

PennySue Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 12

I have a small tool box that I take my touch-up supplies in. I also have several carry-alls that I use to take the bulkier stuff if necessary.
Supplies are...
spatulas, lg and sm
pastry bags with couplers and tips I used for the cake
extra fondant if the cake was fondant covered
containers of icings, along with blue ice to keep them cool
extra ribbon, gumpaste flowers, wire, scissors, needlenose plyers, flower steaks, tape, t-pins
tylose glue in a nailpolish bottle (get them at the beauty supply store)
fondant, gumpaste cutters if I think I might need them.
A plan "B" just in case something goes wrong.
A plan "C" just in case something goes really wrong.
My point and shoot camera
Migrain meds
Needle and clear thread (I have sewn up a few gowns in my day)
And a big sense of humor so I don't take myself too seriously.

Petit-four Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 12

I also have 2 sealed zip-lock bags -- one with damp paper towels, one with paper towels treated with windex (in case some icing drops on a smooth surface, like the table).

Some inexpensive rolled tulle and sicssors, to add to the table if the tablecloth is lacking in some way.

A small level and thin wooden shims and some masking tape to fix wobbly tables.

A cutting diagram and list of ingredients for the caterer.

...also Plan B ...and C as well thumbs_up.gif

Solecito Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:56am
post #5 of 12

Thank you ladies, such a wonderful ideas you have, you see I carry some of the things I'm using when I decorate the cake, but I wanted to fix a small tool box or plastic box with ready-to-go supplies, so I don't have to stop and get it ready before I have to leave to deliver a cake.

joy5678 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:20am
post #6 of 12

Would it by highjacking this thread to ask? What are your plans A & B? icon_smile.gif Thank the Lord, I've never had to use one yet, but it sure would be good to have them available. I've always wondered what I would do if a disaster happened!

LSW Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:44am
post #7 of 12

I'm not into the fondant cakes, but this is what goes with me for buttercream:
- Large bowl of icing
- Green icing (for leaves)
- All of the tips I used on the cake
- Large and small spatulas
- Extra flowers
- Toothpicks
- Paper towels and a package of wet wipes
- Leveler (placed on the table before set-up)
- Small squares of cardboard to level wobbly tables
- Roll of scotch tape
- Pastry bags
- Camera
- Door stops ( I started taking these to prop open doors at venues) There's nothing like struggling to get in a door trying to hold a large cake and nobody there to hold the door open!) I just bought a pack at the dollar store.
- Contact number for the venue. ( I've often arrived at the venue at the appointed time only to find there's no one there, which is the reason for the next item)
- Cell phone
- Thank you card for the bride and groom- I drop this in their cardbox.
- Cutting instructions and list of returnable items.
- Bag or box for the returnable items.

Mac Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 12

Plan A is the original design with no mess-ups.

Plan B is something that you can touch up, correct or hide with a few items

Plan C is when the whole cake design/set-up has to be changed at the venue due to accidents, mis-calculations, good meaning people wanting to help, unexpected Mother Nature changes, etc.... you get the idea...the whole concept of the cake changes.

Have had ALL of these happen. Stress does not wear well on an older person!

joy5678 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 12

I understand completely superstar! Speaking as a person from the same age challenged position icon_smile.gif!
That's OK though, we're not gettin older---we're gettin BETTER!

KimAZ Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 12

I will add that I bring along a large ziploc or other sealable bag to put my used supplies in after I'm done. Like the tips, spatula, wet cloth for clean up and anything that has frosting on it. Wet wipes for my hands and a dry towel are useful too.

kyhendry Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 12

I have a small toolbox that I carry the following:
â¢pastry bags w/icing and xtra fondant
â¢small and large offset spatula
â¢extra dowels and pruning shears to cut them (just in case)
â¢paint brushes and colors/dust and a little bottle of vodka (i use an empty luster dust container)
â¢gloves (laytex or vinyl) to put on so I don't leave fingerprints on cakes as I stack on site. My hands get moist when I'm nervous and driving w/cakes always make me nervous!! icon_smile.gif
â¢Xtra flowers, leaves, or other decorations in case something breaks
â¢My business cards, only when I get permission from the client though (I place them around the cake with the corners under the cake board)
â¢Extra larger container of vodka for me! LOL

I'm stealing the cardboard and door stop idea from this thread! great ideas!

joy5678 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:47am
post #12 of 12

Not much to add to all the great ideas except-- I always take all my paperwork for each cake. Just in case I need to call anyone or prove anything to a customer or family member or remind myself of a detail that may have slipped my mind. Having this with me relieves some stress because I know I have all the information I need handy "just in case" anything comes up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%