California Cake Decorating Business ?

Business By cakenewbe Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 10:06pm by MacsMom

cakenewbe Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 4

Hi All,
I have read many of the posts here on CC regarding Cake Decorating Business. I have gone on to our state website but maybe i am not looking for the right thing or in the right place because i can not find anything related to bakeries/home bakeries. Per some of the posts here, California does not allow you to use your main kitchen for the business. I have a back house almost 20 feet away from the main house and i want to turn that into a legal kitchen for baking my cakes but i can not find any info on legalities or requirements. Can you please help me with some info or direct me to the right place. Greatly appreciated.

3 replies
JoAnnB Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 4

You probably should start with zoning to see if they will allow a business in your area. then, the health department does licensing for food services. You can probably contact an inspector for advice.

Fairytale Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, check the zoning for your city. Mostly the problem is the health department. They say that in a private residence they do not have free access to the kitchen so that's why you can't get a license. Since you have a detached kitchen it will probably depend on the zoning. It is very difficult in Calif. if your a home baker.

MacsMom Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 4

You do have to live in a business district. Call the agricultural center before the health department.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%