How To Make Fondant 'dots' Stay On Sides Of Cake

Decorating By Rose-Lynn Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm by aswartzw

Rose-Lynn Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 15

I have a customer who requested âdotsâ on her wedding cake. I first took it to mean she wanted fondant polka dots, but then she said she didnât want them flat. So, then I took it to mean she wanted fondant pearls. When I told her the process for making the fondant pearls and that they were like little hard candies, they are not what she wants either. I am really at a loss other than to assume she wants large (nickel size) fondant balls randomly placed on the 3-tier square cakes. So, my question is how to I make the large âdotsâ stay in place on the sides of the fondant covered cakes? And do I need to make these up in advance in order to let them dry some or should they be soft? Thanks in advance for everyoneâs help! icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
aswartzw Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 15

Hmmm.... tell her to find you a picture.

Maybe she wants the BC piped dots all over the cake (i think they're called swiss dots????).

Maybe something like this?
http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/4-tier-swiss-dot-wedding-cake-2008-07-13.htm

mcelromi1 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 15

I'd ask for a photo/example of what she means. She's saying 'dots', but she's decribing something different.
Maybe she's the one confused. Like she saw a photo of a cake with dots not realizing that they were 'pearls'.
I wouldn't 'assume' what she wants. Its best to make sure.

mcelromi1 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Hmmm.... tell her to find you a picture.

Maybe she wants the BC piped dots all over the cake (i think they're called swiss dots????).

Maybe something like this?
http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/4-tier-swiss-dot-wedding-cake-2008-07-13.htm

I think your probably right.

Malakin Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 15

I agree. I think she maybe means BC dots and she needs to supply you with a picture. It would definitely clear up a lot for you.

Rose-Lynn Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 15

She did provide me with a photo, but of course it doesn't include 'the dots' she wants. She told me rather than the swirls she wanted the 'dots'.
LL

mcelromi1 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose-Lynn

She did provide me with a photo, but of course it doesn't include 'the dots' she wants. She told me rather than the swirls she wanted the 'dots'.

Since she said 'rather than the swirls, make it dots', I would think she just wants you to make the dots out of the same thing the swirls are made out of, which is buttercream.

Answer = Buttercream icon_biggrin.gif

alanahodgson Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 15

On fondant it is probably royal icing rather than buttercream.

Rather than balls, what about half-balls. They will have a flat surface making sticking easier. You can make them by using a circle cutter and placing some plastic wrap over your thickly rolled fondant before you cut it. The plastic wrap will form the fondant into a dome shape.

Malakin Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:19am
post #9 of 15

I definitely agree with the RI on fondant and not the BC. I found that out the hard way one time. My BC decorations all fell off!

CakeDiva73 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:23am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

Rather than balls, what about half-balls. They will have a flat surface making sticking easier. You can make them by using a circle cutter and placing some plastic wrap over your thickly rolled fondant before you cut it. The plastic wrap will form the fondant into a dome shape.

That's what I was thinking........Margaret Braun has a cake with those half-circles brushed with lustre dust on one of her cakes. I think she used water or "glue" to hold them on but she was attaching fondant to fondant.

Totally cute cake, btw. (Wish she was able to give you a more clear picture of what she wants though.) icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

That's what I was thinking........Margaret Braun has a cake with those half-circles brushed with lustre dust on one of her cakes. I think she used water or "glue" to hold them on but she was attaching fondant to fondant.

Totally cute cake, btw. (Wish she was able to give you a more clear picture of what she wants though.) icon_smile.gif

srod911 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #12 of 15

if she does want fondant deocrations and you ned to attach to a fondant covered cake you can use 'gum glue". It can be made with 1/4 tsp of gumpaste torn into small pieces and diluted into 1 tblsp of water and kept in container with a tight fitting lid.

YAYI95 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:33am
post #13 of 15

Since your not sure what type of dots she wants, maybe you should send her some pictures of cakes with the swiss dots, pearls, and fondant dots..maybe she will see what it is she wants and you will know exactly what it is she is picturing in her head...

bellejoey Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #14 of 15

I would google pictures of cakes with different types of dots and send them her way. icon_smile.gif I am thinking that she probably wants buttercream dots slightly raised up just a little off the cake.

aswartzw Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm
post #15 of 15

I still say she wants BC dots just piped on. Just squish the tips with your finger covered in powdered sugar and you'll be fine. Super easy.

Personally, I would not use RI. It dries hard and doesn't work any better than BC. BC is all I use with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%