How Big Is Your 2 Or 3 Year Old?

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 3:45am by imagine76

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 21

My youngest daughter will be turning 3 on Aug. 17. Sophia is 33 inches tall and weighs 26 lbs. I feel like she's really small for her age but my husband doesn't. So I'm wondering how she measures up to other kids her age.

I realize it almost sounds like I'm competing with other moms...it's not that, I think my daughter has a growth hormone deficiency or similiar problem, but my husband says she's fine and we can't take her to the doctor and voice my concerns. We saw a little boy at the zoo who was the same age as Sophie and the same height, so my husband's convinced that's normal and that our other daughter was just huge for her age.

20 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 21

um why cant you take her to the dr and voice your concerns?

im not sure what the norm is for 3 year olds my son was always considered a giant. lol he is 5 and is 55 lbs and about 4 feet tall.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 21

My son just turned two and he's 30 inches tall and weighs 22 lbs (almost 23 lbs YAY haha). My other son is 6 mos old, is 26 inches long and weighs over 18 lbs. As long as your daughter is healthy and happy, I think she's probably fine. However, if you are worried, you def. need to voice your concerns to your pediatrician -- no matter what your DH says. Maybe call and talk to the pedi first and see if he/she thinks there is cause for concern.

BTW, I don't think you sound like you're competing at all. You sound like a normal mom who's worried. I also have the name of a pediatric endocrinologist, if you ever end up needing to see one. My cousin had to go and have a stimulus test done. He's 10 and his 8 year old sister is taller than him. He can still wear 5T clothes. He's a brilliant gymnast though!

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 21

She's sensitive about her size and my husband says taking her to the doctor for it would only make her feel worse. He says she's growing (she has grown about 1.5 inches in the last year) so she's fine.

My older daughter was 40 inches and 36 lbs when she turned 3.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 21

When you take your child in for check-ups does the doctor seem concerned about her size?

Something to remember about kids is that you have average size and then kids both above and below that who are perfectly normal.

If your older child is large for her age that might also impact how you view your younger child. I know I have problems with that, my 5 year old is 47.5 inches tall and wears an 8, so the kids his own age seem tiny to me.

She does sound a little small to me but some kids are, I have a neice who's one and wears 6-9 month clothes.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 21

My daughter is almost 2 and is about the same size as your 3 year old - NOW - having said that, MacK is in the 90% for her age. My nephew is almost 4 and just a little bigger than your 3 year old - he is very small for his age.

Instead of taking her in, can you call your ped and see what percentile she is in for her age? Every time you take them in they do a measurement and put it on a growth chart that tells them what range they are in. As long as they stay in the same general range thoughout their growth there is nothing wrong with that. MacK has been in the 90/95% since her ultrasound. If she suddenly went down to 70% there would be cause for concern.

If you are really worried why don't you call the doctors office and ask them what % she is in and if that is the % she has always been in. That should answer your questions and concerns.

I am always asking other moms questions about the size of their kids or their behavior or learning or basically EVERYTHING - so don't feel bad about asking - its your child and you might have a very legitimate concern!

mbelgard Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

She's sensitive about her size and my husband says taking her to the doctor for it would only make her feel worse. He says she's growing (she has grown about 1.5 inches in the last year) so she's fine.

May I ask why she would need to know the reason for going to the doctor at her age? If she asked you could always tell her that she's going in to make sure she's healthy, you don't have to say a word about height or growth.

janelwaters is right about children staying in their growth pattern though, if your daughter has always been small she's likely perfectly healthy. I know that my niece's doctor has said that she's tiny but perfect.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 21

my daughter is 3 and also about the same height and weight as yrs. She has always been on the low 20% and has been growing fine on that curve. The pead said I must just accept that I have a small skinny child.

But if it worries you have a chat to the dr, like a pp said, no need for her to know why ur taking her.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 21

Bella is 2 1/2 and she's always been 75% in height but 25% in her weight. She just doesn't gain weight very easily, jeez I wish I had that problem. She's really healthy but compared to my son, she looks tiny. He's almost 4 and wears 6T clothes and a size 13 shoe!! But he isn't chubby in the least, just a big boy.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think she will be just fine and beautiful.

Kathy

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 21

If you have concerns, please talk them over with your doctor. My daughter, who is 5 is only 40 inches with shoes on and just hit 30 pounds. She has never been on the charts for height and wieght and our ped has no concerns. You have to take many things into consideration when looking at height and weight. Our ped happened to be my ped growing up, so he knows my family. I am only 5'2" and my hubby is 6'. My sisters are 4'10 1/2" and 4'11 1/2". He knows that short is normal for our family. It has not phased him in the slightest that she has never been on the charts (well she was when she was born--she was 7 lbs. 1 oz. and she was almost 4 weeks early! icon_surprised.gif ). She has consistently grown and gained weight and she is healthy and that is all that matters. So, yup, it is weird that some 2 and 3-year-olds actually tower over her, but it does not bother her. She actually takes advantage of her size because it does yield a lot of "nice" attention for her--she eats up every complement that is given to her.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 21

I wouldn't worry about it. There are super tall people in the world, and petite people. If your ped doesn't think there is a problem, then I would relax.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #12 of 21

Well the pedi may not be concerned because he/she may not have seen the little girl since her 2 year check-up, unless she's been sick...and at my pedi, they don't usually do all the growth stuff for a sick appt. When you take her in for the 3 year check-up, voice your concerns. My son is below the curve, but he's steady, so they're not concerned.

Just a question: are you and DH short? Your daughter may just be genetically predisposed to being short.

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:49pm
post #13 of 21

My daughter just turned 3 and is 40 inches and weighs 29 lbs. She has been considered tall and skinny by our pediatrician. Do a search on the web for children's growth charts and see what you find.I believe that kids are considered half of their adult height at age 2. If that is the case, my daughter will be around 5'9 to 6'0, which is about right for my EXTREMELY tall family...shortest is 5'8 tallest is 6'9!!! Good luck with your answers.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #14 of 21

my niece who will be eleven in october can wear both of her five year old and three year old sisters clothes. She is tiny. Very tiny. BUT, my sister in laws family has a tendency to have very petite woman in it. Are there any relatives in your family that tend to be on the petite side? Other then being very small, she is perfectly healthy and happy.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:38am
post #15 of 21

my middle child turned 4 in may and he's just under 30 lbs. last year for his 3 yr. check up the dr. was pretty excited that he was finally on the charts at 3 percent! he's just smaller. all of my kids are. i was average and my brother was scrawny and my dh was little and scrawny as a kid too. no big deal. i still give him lots of calories -real butter, whole milk etc. the pediatrician said not to push food on him (he's not a spectacular eater like his sister -who's in the 10th percentile for weight and 70th for height!) otherwise he'll just be short and fat. right now he's balanced as far as the height to weight ratio. kids come in all different sizes. it's fine icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #16 of 21

You can also go to the web and find out her percentiles. Just put in "growth chart" in google and you will get all kinds of sites. There are also some that do BMI. It might make you feel better. I agree that she could be just fine, especially if she's at about the same percentile as always.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:39pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrmom

You can also go to the web and find out her percentiles. Just put in "growth chart" in google and you will get all kinds of sites. There are also some that do BMI. It might make you feel better. I agree that she could be just fine, especially if she's at about the same percentile as always.

I have 4 children (ranging from 8 months to 6 years) and each of them have been different. What my ped has said and from reading on baby center etc is exactly what others have pointed out. As long as they are staying in approx the same range in their percentile (weight and height) there is no need to be concerned and please keep in mind that percentiles only hold so much meaning on their own. Your child could be on the lower end of the percentile but that does not mean she is not growing as well as your older daughter. My oldest boy at age 5 was considered obese according to his BMI but if you look at him you would know that that was not the case (he is a very tall yet slim and very healthy boy (no pudge on him at all lol!!). He was in the 100th percentile for height and ranged between 95-100% for weight. My youngest son is closer to the 25th percentiles but just as healthy. Perhaps he's just going to take after my DH's side of the family icon_lol.gif

You should still take her in to the dr.'s even if it is just to ease your mind. I know how it can be when you are concerned about your little one. It won't matter what we say until you speak to the professionals icon_sad.gif

Here's just one of many websites with percentile charts available (and please keep in mind that there are separate ones for boys and girls)

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/growthcharts2/a/percentiles.htm

HTH icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

mbelgard Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:31pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

My oldest boy at age 5 was considered obese according to his BMI but if you look at him you would know that that was not the case (he is a very tall yet slim and very healthy boy (no pudge on him at all lol!!). He was in the 100th percentile for height and ranged between 95-100% for weight.

I don't really like the BMI because of this. Your son sounds like mine, he wears slim pants and they're too big around if they're long enough but he's really solid.

Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:02pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

My oldest boy at age 5 was considered obese according to his BMI but if you look at him you would know that that was not the case (he is a very tall yet slim and very healthy boy (no pudge on him at all lol!!). He was in the 100th percentile for height and ranged between 95-100% for weight.

I don't really like the BMI because of this. Your son sounds like mine, he wears slim pants and they're too big around if they're long enough but he's really solid.

My older daughter had the same problem on paper but when they would actually look at her they said she was obviously just fine. She's always been tall and muscular.

Sophia's not on the charts anymore...it just says she's at less than the 3rd percentile. When she was 2 and I first started worrying about her height, she was in the 10th for height and for weight. Her doctor said that it was good that her height and weight were both in the same percentile. Her chart has a funny curve on it at age 1, but the doc said they must have measured wrong at the visit before that, because there's no way she could have gotten shorter.

Sophie can't reach a doorknob or a sink (even with a step), has actually fallen into a toilet and gotten stuck with her arms and legs sticking out, can't ride a tricycle with pedals. It bothers her a lot. She cries when someone comes up and says, "Oh, look at the pretty baby," when we're out shopping. I think a lot of kids wouldn't be aware of how their size compared to other kids, but somehow she is. I've been buying step stools for every room of the house, but I'm going to really have to start making things more accessible for her in a more permanent way, if she doesn't grow.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #20 of 21

You know I hate those growth charts. They tell you how your child should be and if your childs not then it makes you worry. icon_mad.gif Ok sorry I'll stop venting now. I have a 4 yr old daughter and she is 30 lbs. She has always been small. My baby was a preemie. She was born 5 weeks early and weighed 4lbs 9ozs. I think she will always be tiny. Some kids are small and some are big. Her Dr says she's doing just fine and yes she's small but she is healthy. I wouldn't worry about it too much. As stated before if you have concerns talk to you dr.

I had to laugh though, because I enrolled my daughter in a dance class with girls her own age. Compared to her, they are giant! Even parents of the other girls took notice and said "Oh she's so tiny". I think it's so cute to see her in her little leotard (sp?). With her little skinny minnie behind. icon_lol.gif

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:45am
post #21 of 21

i agree that you shouldn't get too caught up in the growth chart thing. i always like to know just to compare with what they've been in the past, plus, we have lots of kids in our family around their ages. BUT when my son i mentioned earlier was a baby (around 1 i think) the dr. mentioned possibly doing growth hormone deficiancy testing if he didn't grow soon it really freaked me out. he never did have it thank goodness. then, she never mentioned it again and neither has any other dr. i don't want you to get worked up about that. i think those tests should only be done if there's a really big problem. your sophia (that's my daughter's name too icon_smile.gif ) seems proportionate which is just fine.

my son gets chapped when people mention his size too. he's learning to deal with it. we've told him that people come in all different shapes, colors, and sizes. everyone is different and special. oh, hey, there's a children's book called "It's okay to be different" by a guy named Todd Parr. it's a great book, we read it a lot, especially when this kind of thing comes up. like when my son -the tiny one- asked me why i was fat.

damn kids!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%