Advice Please! Do I Tell Them I Haven't Done A Wedding Cake

Business By yelle66 Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 6:42pm by mouse13

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 6

I got an email this morning saying that a bride would be interested in finding out how much I would charge for a wedding cake and if I would be available for her date. And if I do wedding cakes. I never have done a wedding cake (well besides my 5 year-old nieces' wedding cake birthday party (3 tiered cake in my gallery with gumpaste roses). So, my main question is, do I tell her I never have done a wedding, but would love to, or should I just say "Yes, I do wedding cakes."

How do you proceed with this? This is my first inquiry on a wedding cake.

TIA,

Danielle

5 replies
lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 6

I would tell her the truth, show her your portfolio, make yourself available and hope for the best. That way, heaven forbid, something would happen, you don't get caught in a lie.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 6

"While I haven't done a wedding cake but I have done (or have done several) tiered cake(s). Here is a picture of one I did for my niece's birthday."

If she opts to go with someone else then atleast you know you were honest with her. And by pointing out that you have done a tiered cake that may reassure her.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 6

I would just be honest and tell her although I have never done a wedding cake I have done other tierd cakes and show her some of your work. There's no difference in a tierd birthday or wedding cake. It's still just cake IMO.

clubcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clubcakes Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:31am
post #5 of 6

I agree, be upfront with the customer from the start. She will be impressed with your honesty more than she would be impressed with "putting on airs". Anyway, you will do a wonderful job, you will remember your first, and she will become your best advertiser!! Good luck!

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 6

Tell her the truth and let her know that you have done tiered cakes just not for a wedding, and show her your work. Hope you get to the job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%