Best Cake To Carve?

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 3:07am by my2rys

alvarezmom Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 10

What is the best kind of cake to use when carving?

9 replies
TooMuchCake Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 10

It depends on how much detail you need the cake to hold. If you're mostly just rounding corners or something like that, you should be okay with your regular cake recipe, but if you're doing something elaborate or something with a lot of height, you're best off with a pound cake. The texture needs to be tight and dense for best results.

mcdonald Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 10

typically any type of a dense cake is what you would carve. Most white cakes will hold up. The recipe I use all the time and carves nicely is the WASC recipe. You want to stay away from a chocolate, depending on the density. Red velvet is one that doesn't always hold up very well as well as strawberry. These are just my experiences... .=

Molly2 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 10

WASC is the best I just made a 3DTow Mater Cake from this recipe I haven't posted pics yet but will soon also WASC is a recipe you can change it to a chocolate cake I haven't tried it yet but will soon and I'm told by all that its really good for a carved cake also

msulli10 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 10

I'm amazed to hear that the WASC is good for carving. Mine always comes out too fluffy and falls apart when I go to carve it. What am I doing wrong? It tastes great but I don't think it carves well at all.

malishka Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 10

forgive me for being stupid. I always see these abreviations on the site and sometimes for the life of me cannot figure out what they are.
What is WASC???

SpringFlour Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 10

I can tell you what kind not to use! icon_wink.gif Darn Good Chocolate cake (in recipes section). It's my favorite chocolate cake, but I used it to carve this weekend and the chocolate chips get in the way. If you left out the chocolate chips, it would be good. It's pretty dense.

Molly2 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 10

WASC is White Almond Sour Cream Cake

this is the recipe I use and what I did different is I used Duncan Hines and added a small box of instand vanilla pudding I am getting ready to make the Chocolate Recipe and their are a few ajustments that have to be made I just found out about so will see how that comes out when I did the White Almond it was perfect I didn't even have to trim it, it was level and tasted great my only concern is if it would dry out fast because it was so dens but I'm told it doesn't and hubby took this one to work and he said everyone gave it a thumbs up

malishka Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 10

thanks so much. i would have never figured that one out.
I always use Duncan Hines with pudding added to it. i think it just makes a more stable cake.

my2rys Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:07am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for asking Malishka... I was wondering and hated to ask. Up until recently I always used basic box cakes. I have used a few of the recipes on CC site and I am really happy with how the cakes have turned out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%