Candy Clay For Modeling & 3D Figures - Samples?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm by msmeg

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 12

I'm familiar with gumpaste and fondant, but haven't heard of "candy clay?" I did a search and found a recipe for candy clay on CC, but what do these flowers/figurines/etc. look like? If someone has pictures/images of samples...would you please post your work? Also, why would someone choose using candy clay vs. gumpaste or fondant?

P.S. Is candy clay the same as modeling chocolate?

Thank you!

11 replies
trixieleigh Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 12

Yes, the candy clay is the same as modeling chocolate. I have made it several times and like it. That is my fave for making roses! I also used it last week to make a baby and big brother head on a "welcome new baby" cake. If you look in my gallery, you can see examples of the roses on the lime green cake with pink roses on it, as well as the baby cake.

katwomen1up Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 12

Candy Clay is edible, sugar paste is not. Taste better too.... Doesn't dry as fast as either one of them either so you have time to wrk with it if you are working on a big project.

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for your responses. You did some great work. What recipe do you use? Do you just color the modeling chocolate with icing colors like gumpaste?

trixieleigh Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 12

You color it like you color fondant. Just knead it in.

varika Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 12

I don't have any pictures, but I made candy clay roses for a speech I had to give in my Oral Communications class last week. It was wonderful to work with and the whole class really enjoyed the taste. I tried modelling a little gun in it (my uncle loves recreational shooting) that didn't come out well, but I'm very bad at sculpting guns and I only had like a minute and a half, anyway, so I'm not ashamed of the effort.

As for the coloring, there's oil-based colors you can use to color it, too, which I've been told may be better for the quality. I know it's better to use those for coloring molded chocolates, but I'm not really sure with modeling chocolate.

loucarp Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 12

I just make batches of the clay using the different colored candy melts.
Then if i want different shades of a color I just mix them together.....
The clay stays for awhile if put in airtight containers. The new ziploc vacuum sealed bags work great for storing any leftover candy clay.

I use the clay to make alot of things. The bunnies and chicks in my photos are examples of what you can make.

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 12

Wow...I'm learning a lot. Thanks! When you store the extra in an airtight container or ziploc...exactly how long does it last? Are we talking days? weeks? months? Also, how long does it take to dry?

loucarp Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 12

The clay has stayed workable and still tasting fresh for up to two months in the ziploc vacuum bags.
Air drying can take a day or two. If i'm in a hurry, I put the sculpted candy clay items in a covered plastic container that also has a container of "damp rid" in it.
The damp rid helps dry the clay more quickly. You just have to make sure the clay pieces are away from the damp rid so no contamination occurs.

varika Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 12

It only seems to take five or ten minutes to dry, but it can be made pliable again quickly if you just work it a bit. (Admittedly, this was with roses, which have very thin areas to dry; figurines probably will take longer.) My mother thought my last brick had gone bad, because it was like a rock! But I had no problems with it. It had been sitting, sealed up nice and air-tight, for at least a week, without any ill effects. ....the recipe I have, in fact, says that you want to make it up at least 24 hours in advance and let it "settle" overnight.

SeriousCakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:51pm
post #11 of 12

Oh I love candy clay! I'll be making some tonight actually, I want to make some things to go on cupcakes for an optometrist (sp?). I also have a few birthday cakes coming up where I need to make a figures to go on top. If you look in my pics I have several cakes with figures and some cupcakes with candy clay accessories. My reasoning behing using is that it tastes good, um, it has a tendency to accidentally fall in my mouth when I'm working with it icon_lol.gif

msmeg Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #12 of 12

though not a great choice in the summer as the finished product will get soft with heat I use it in the cooler months to make roses... I can make a MUCH larger rose almost life size and I can do it at the last minute if I have some in the fridge. it does not need drying time just time to firm back up and that can be speeded up in the freezer to a minute or two.

I make it from the dark chocolate and it tastes like tootsie rolls tastes wonderful on a strawberry cake with chocolate frosting... YUM

Quote by @%username% on %date%