Some Customers!!!

Decorating By Cakechick123 Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm by missmeg

Cakechick123 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 16

A wedding planner phoned me last week to order a wedding cake for end of August. The bride wants mini cakes, 2x2" square with a top cake for cutting. So I said Im available and we go through the process of flavors, pricing(not cheap as they are a load of work) etc. I said she can come and pick up some samples, I normally do cc samples and as I had to do some for another bride it was not a hassle.

She then mails me to say the bride wants a replica of the top cake and I tell her that I dont have the time to decorate a cake as Im doing other cakes for the weekend, I can only give her some samples to decide what flavors she likes. This morning the WP phones to tell me I need to drop off the samples on the other side of town as she is too busy to come and collect them!! Well Im sorry but Im busy as well, so no can do! She then tells me the bride will come and fetch them herself, but Im not allowed to discuss the price I quoted at all!
So this tells me that the wedding planner is obviously adding some money to the price I originally quoted. icon_twisted.gif

Then get a call from the bride, she tells me she wants to come and see her cake icon_confused.gif I said, no its not your cake, its just some cc samples. This brides flips her lid at me, starts shouting that she is not paying a truckload of money for something she hasnt seen and that she is not driving for over an hour to come and taste some lousy cake icon_eek.gif, and she was promised that she can see the cake today icon_eek.gif She continues to throw a tantrum that would put my 3 yr old to shame!

Ok I can understand that its a lot of money, as my price was not cheap to begin with, and obviously the WP is adding her cut, but geez then go and shout at the person that promised you the cake. I told her that I confirmed to the WP via email twice that there will be no decorated cake, just some cc's with fillings to try out.
so now Im assuming that I will be free to do what I like the last week in Aug icon_lol.gif

15 replies
ccr03 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 16

wow - some people! Sounds like a good thing that you got out of that one!

tonedna Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 16

I would have ask the bride the prize that the other lady quote her.. icon_lol.gif
Edna

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by riana

...so now Im assuming that I will be free to do what I like the last week in Aug icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif

Pookie59 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 16

Why do these bridezillas think it's perfectly okay to abuse the cake lady? And since when do wedding planners get to add on to the price of a cake? Sounds like you escaped from a potential nightmare.

TOMAY Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 16

sounds like the title of this post should be some wedding planners! what a terrible thing to do to anyone . I would have nicely told the bride your conversations with the WP and been done with it. icon_smile.gif

doughdough Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 16

If these loons try and apologize (which is highly unlikely, but who knows?), just tell them you've booked another job for that weekend even if you haven't. If there was that much drama over cake samples, I can't even imagine the hell they are going to raise for the actual cake!!! icon_surprised.gif

Cake_Bliss Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAY

sounds like the title of this post should be some wedding planners! what a terrible thing to do to anyone . I would have nicely told the bride your conversations with the WP and been done with it. icon_smile.gif

icon_wink.gif I agree! Save yourself the hassle of dealing with bridezilla icon_wink.gif

suchie6 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 16

Sounds like the bride and the wedding planner have some communication issues with each other! Seems the bride misdirected her frustration on you. I don't know if she is truly a bridzilla or if her wedding planner is making promises to the bride that she shouldn't.

Is this a wedding planner that you've worked with before? How did they get your name? If the bride needs to see a cake - director her to your photos and then ask her to come pick up samples if she likes what she sees.

I looked at your photos - your work is fantastic! I would drive an hour for samples!!!

adven68 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 16

Oh, if this is not a blessing in disguise, I don't know what is.
RUN RUN RUN!!!!

The planner is an idiot. How dare she tell you how to run your business. I would have told her that if I am asked, I will not lie about my prices. If she is so worried, then she should not send the bridezilla to a vendor that she is supposed to represent her for....that's what she's getting paid for, isn't it?

mjballinger Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAY

Exactly. I don't know how all wedding planners work, but the one's my niece has been checking out charge a percentage of the total cost of the wedding. To "bulk" up the price of items is just dishonest. Am I wrong or missing something? It realy seems like a bad wedding planner.

michellenj Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 16

Aren't wedding planners supposed to make the process for the bride and vendors easier? And isn't it the job of the planner to get the BEST price for her client?

I'd refer this lovely little booking to my competitor and let them deal with them.

Cakechick123 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 16

I would change the heading if I could icon_biggrin.gif
But I was so mad at this rude woman that I was actually ranting about the customer

Quote:
Quote:

Is this a wedding planner that you've worked with before? How did they get your name?

No She got my name from another bride thats booked her cake with me, but she's on my no-no list from now on

Quote:
Quote:

Aren't wedding planners supposed to make the process for the bride and vendors easier? And isn't it the job of the planner to get the BEST price for her client?

I dont think anyone told this one icon_lol.gif

at least I escaped this bridezilla and her WP thumbs_up.gif, definitely no cake for them icon_lol.gif

DebBTX Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:56pm
post #14 of 16

You handled this situation really well.

I'm surprised the wedding planner didn't make an appointment with the three of you to meet, taste the samples and go over the design, etc.
This particular planner doesn't sound very honest. First, she is padding the cost of a cake she won't be making. She didn't follow through with her client with information. She dumped part of her job on the Bride who had hired her to help alleviate stress, and make things go smoothly. She is inconsiderate of fellow wedding event people who are equally busy.

The Bride... well, lets just say I hope she is not like that all of the time. I can't help but wonder if that was her last straw. If she had been depending on her wedding planner to make things come together, and each step of the way had been a dropped ball, she might be an emotional basketcase by now.

I don't blame you for being relieved to not be doing her cakes. Once someone crosses the line into yelling, etc. I wouldn't want to deal with them.
Have you dealt with this wedding planner before?
Did the planner contact you after your conversation with the Bride?

-Debbie B.

indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #15 of 16

The bride sounds like one of those 20-somethings being discussed in another thread. "The only answer they know is 'yes'!" How DARE you say no to this person who has been told her whole life that she is special and everything she does is perfect and the world revolves around her.

Yeah....I'd DEFINITELY be booked if/when they call back!

missmeg Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly. I don't know how all wedding planners work, but the one's my niece has been checking out charge a percentage of the total cost of the wedding. To "bulk" up the price of items is just dishonest. Am I wrong or missing something? It realy seems like a bad wedding planner.

I agree. If you had followed through with this WP and bride, then it would have been the WP who paid you. I haven't worked with a WP before, but I would be very leery of this. You don't work for the WP - you work for the BRIDE.

Glad you have that weekend free now thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%