Pricing A Martha Stewart Wedding Cake

Business By Jenn2179 Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 2:13am by mysonshines

Jenn2179 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 38

Any suggestions on how you would price this cake? I start at $2.50 a serving for buttercream and $3.50 for fondant. This cake has over 800 flowers, leaves, and berries. I am meeting with a girl tomorrow. Another cake place gave her my info because they don't really work with fondant. I am hoping to have a general idea on what to charge so I can see if her budget is big enough. Also to me it looks like there is 4 inches between the tiers, what do you think?
TIA,
Jenn
LL

37 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 38

I can't say for certain about pricing but keep in mind that the flowers are labor intensive, which will run up the cost bigtime. You may want to give her similar options -- if she likes the flowers you could do buttercream or RI flowers instead of fondant, things like that. It's something to consider.

leah_s Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 38

I don't understand the 4" between tiers comment. You mean you think they are 4" tall? That's standard in the biz, so probably true. Those flowers do look easy, but they're small, so time consuming. I'd probably crank out those little things a 3/$1, so $266 for the flowers + $3.50 per serving for the cake, plus an equipment fee plus a delivery charge.

I'm going to guess that's a 6/9/12, so 102 servings using the top tier. $357 + $266 + $20 (equipment) +$50 (delivery) = $693

leah_s Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 38

Yaknow, I didn't figure in the leaves, so add about $150 to the price above.

Jenn2179 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I don't understand the 4" between tiers comment. You mean you think they are 4" tall?

I know they are 4 in tall but wasn't sure if there were 3 in or 4 in between the tier sizes. But know that you say it, it does look like a 6 in, 9 in, and 12 in. Thanks for your input LEAHS.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 38

I mean maybe the cake you have designed has 800 flowers & stuff but there's not anywhere near 800 as pictured. I mean if you're doing a nine tier wonder well yeah maybe.

How many servings and tiers are you talking about?

I mean, I would do that cake at my base rate. It is a very easy cake to me.

Jenn2179 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I mean maybe the cake you have designed has 800 flowers & stuff but there's not anywhere near 800 as pictured. I mean if you're doing a nine tier wonder well yeah maybe.

How many servings and tiers are you talking about?

I mean, I would do that cake at my base rate. It is a very easy cake to me.

The description in the book says a total of over 800 leaves, flowers, and berries so I was just using that. She needs to serves around 100 so a 6, 9, and 12 in would be perfect. No the cake does not look difficult but VERY time consuming to make all those flowers, leaves, and berries.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 38

If there are 75 leaves flowers and berries on one quarter of the bottom tier that would be a very generous figure. 4x75 is 300 plus the top tier is maybe another 100-150 . They maybe made 800 to do the cake but they had oodles like half left over.

I mean you are looking at rolling out maybe 5 sheets of fondant + cornstarch. Roll out three different colored sheets of that and use three different leaf cutters--pop those out.

I have those flower plunger dealies, roll out maybe two sheets of the same f+c and pop those out but I mean I bet one sheet of plunger flowers would do it.

Have your roller ball ready, when you pick up the flower after you plunge it, squish it between your fingers to remove the edge, pop up the petals with the roller ball.

These are fast. Roll out five sheets (total) of fondant for that--add stamens--make berries with the leftovers. Easy peasy. But I would talk bridelette into letting me pipe some of the leaves too. But there's not that much to those.

My leaf plunger has texture on it too.

I mean mini-magnolias or dogwoods with precise coloring maybe more.

I use the measuring stick of how much more time it would take to do those or piped roses. I might add some more $ if they wouldn't let me pipe some of the leaves--but I'm sure they would allow it.

I don't know, it just looks easy. But I've made tons of those flowers. I doubt I'd add more than $50. It's many more leaves than blooms.

The rick rack is gonna be the killer. If you don't use real rick rack, I'd go with candy clay.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 38

I mean plunge them all at once and pile them in a plastic container. Then go back and squosh the edge and roller ball the center. Lay them out one by one right next to each other so you can pipe the centers. It's not that much more time than doing piped roses.

poshcakedesigns Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 38

Looks like a pretty simple cake. I would go with your standard fondant rate and charge $50-$60 for the time to make all the flowers, berries etc.

For the rick rack I would use those craft scissors that come in that shape and cut them from gumpaste or fondant.

aswartzw Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 38

k8memphis, would you mind sharing where you bought your plungers?

Thanks!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 38

http://www.fantes.com/images/7917pasta_cutters.jpg

Candy clay will not stretch when you go to apply it.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

k8memphis, would you mind sharing where you bought your plungers?

Thanks!

Global Sugar Arts

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #14 of 38

I would pipe the berries or paint some pearls.

Chef_Stef Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #15 of 38

Not to split hairs, but that looks just like a 6, 10, 14 to me....

That many flowers will be time consuming to color, roll, cut, shape, and apply, so make sure you charge enough.

I'd do my base fondant price of $4.50 for the middle tier, because it's pretty basic, and add about $1.00/sv to the top and bottom tier servings. So, (assuming a 6, 10, 14), my price would be $666.00 + any delivery fee. If I did a 6, 9, 12", it'd be $518 + delivery.

It's a beautiful cake--I wish someone where I live would get with it and order something like that! icon_wink.gif

Petit-four Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:31pm
post #16 of 38

I checked my copy of the MS book -- it had a really close-up picture, plus a description of the how-to (sort of):

RI tinted brown for all vines (looks like a #2 tip)
punched gumpase flowers, piped dot RI centers
veined gumpaste leaves, 4 types
the smallest leaves are piped RI (leaf tip)
berries are hand-shaped gumpaste, looks like food marker dots to give texture

The rick-rack: real! Hmmm...looks like you will be taking this cake to the next level if you do it in sugar. thumbs_up.gif (a Wendy Kromer design, it seems).

If you PM me I can scan and send you the close-up.

Looks like a lovely cake -- I've been admiring it too!

mom42ws Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #17 of 38

how did the tasting go and what was the brides budget for this little beauty??

ashley

peacockplace Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:14am
post #18 of 38

I think it's a 6, 10, 14 also. I've done several that size lately and that looks about right.

DebBTX Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:21am
post #19 of 38

I love Martha Stewart and Wendy Kromer cakes. They are always so fantastic.
The cake you are going to do is such a gorgeous one. I love the beautiful colors, flowers, leaves and berries. This is going to be a lot of work and fun. What a great cake to be able to do.

Please let us know how things go with you and the Bride. Then, we want to see your wonderful pictures.

Let us also know how the flower making went. You will have all kinds of fantastic tips for us on what to do and not do. icon_lol.gif

Take plenty of pictures, and keep us updated.

-Debbie B.

Cakenicing4u Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:40am
post #20 of 38

Call me crazy... but if the cake is NOT filled, couldn't you cover it with fondant and chill it hard... maybe even an hour in the freezer... the for the rick rack on the second layer.... have it all cut out and spaced right... then take your cold cake and turn it on it's side and roll it right along to get the rick rack on.... you know what I mean? Like a tire rolling over paint... I would never ever be able to get those two lines on that straight without losing me mind.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakenicing4u

Call me crazy... but if the cake is NOT filled, couldn't you cover it with fondant and chill it hard... maybe even an hour in the freezer... the for the rick rack on the second layer.... have it all cut out and spaced right... then take your cold cake and turn it on it's side and roll it right along to get the rick rack on.... you know what I mean? Like a tire rolling over paint... I would never ever be able to get those two lines on that straight without losing me mind.

You're crazy. icon_eek.gif

I would never do it that way. Yeah I feel yah about how unforgiving ribbon & stuff is. But no, freezing a fondant cake will create it's own nightmares all by itself then add in the rick rack--just say no.

But using candy clay that does not stretch will work fine. But Martha & the artist used real rick rack so no worries.

Jenn2179 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:07pm
post #22 of 38

The tasting went well. The bride was realistic on the cost so that was good. She talked to another decorator who told hr over $1000. She also talked to another decorator who said $400 but that decorator is like 90 miles away and she didn't know about a delivery fee. I gave her my price of $670 + tax and delivery and that seemed about what she was expecting. So we shall see.

Jenn2179 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:24pm
post #23 of 38

Well I just got an email and the want me to make thier wedding cake. I am super excited but nervous too.

lillicakes Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #24 of 38

I am so excited for you! I want to make that cake!

Good luck!

DebBTX Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:22pm
post #25 of 38

Congratulations!
I can't wait to see the wonderful pictures.
What flavors did she choose?

-Debbie B.

mmgiles Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:53pm
post #26 of 38

If the rick rack were to be sugar why could you not just take two pieces of real rickrack, attach tempoarily with a small pin or something (in an inconspicuous place) and pipe just above or below following the rickrack. Then remove the real rick rack and walla!

Anyone see problems with my idea?

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 6:40pm
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgiles

If the rick rack were to be sugar why could you not just take two pieces of real rickrack, attach tempoarily with a small pin or something (in an inconspicuous place) and pipe just above or below following the rickrack. Then remove the real rick rack and walla!

Anyone see problems with my idea?

It would be difficult to get a clean line that way. And it would be too wide. Using that ziggedy cutter would create the illusion if it needed to be all edible.

Try it on a scrap of fondant and see how it does.

jibbies Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 6:58pm
post #28 of 38

That ia such a pretty cake. I have loved it ever since I first saw it on the cover of Martha Stewart Weddings (Spring 2005). Congratulations on getting to make it. I didn't see when the wedding is. Make sure you post pictures
Happy baking

Jibbies

sweettoothmom Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm
post #29 of 38

Wow this really stirred up a debate on how to charge for this cake. Martha is a hard act to follow but I am sure you are up to it. You know what feels fair to you and I would just go with the input you have here and be honest with yourself. If you like the flower work and dont mind it charge accordingly if you dont much care for that protion of the decorating use that base price plus each flower/ leaf method and charge from there. If she balks at the pricing remind her it is a Martha Stewart creation and she certainly would charge her more. I am sure your price will be fair, just dont short yourself for your efforts.

Mike1394 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 9:06pm
post #30 of 38

Becareful all. Giving prices out like this could be sort of considered insider trading. icon_biggrin.gif Hehehehehe

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%