Using Champagne Glass As Pillars? See Pic

Decorating By SugaredUp Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 7:22pm by toodlesjupiter

SugaredUp Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 17

Hi all. I did a search on this first, but all the threads said "No posts exist for this topic". (sigh)

I have to meet a bride later today and I was going to pitch this idea to her. I tried PMing the creator of this gorgeous cake, but I haven't received a reply yet.

So how do I do this? Are these plastic or glass?

I'll try to post the pic......

Thanks!
LL

16 replies
SugaredUp Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 17

By the way, this is a cake by gracefull.

APrettyCake Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 17

The glasses look to be glass, and it was likely setup at the event. So long as there is not an overly large teir sitting ontop the glasses, it should hold well. Beautiful cake - I'd be anxious to see the creators reply icon_smile.gif

Cakechick123 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 17

as long as you dowel the middle tier, and the top is not too big, the glasses will be fine,

its a stunning cake btw!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 17

i did the same set up before. if you can find some double adhesive tape you can use that to secure the bottom of the glass to your cake board or plate.

that cake is gorgeous! good luck on your pitch icon_smile.gif

SugaredUp Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks!!

plbennett_8 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 17

I Don't know if you have one close to you, but you can usually find cheap wine / champaigne glasses at Dollar Tree... If so, hot glue them to the plates and cut the worry factor... icon_wink.gif Have it ready the day before...

Good luck! icon_smile.gif
Pat

pinklesley1 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 17

plbennett.. that is such a smart idea to hot glue them... i might borrow that someday...

2txmedics Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 17

Ive used them before, I buy my glasses at the dollar store...Ive turned them over also...and have put in glass round pebbles u get at walmart and a Ive also used them as table decoration with those pebbles and put mini candles in them...Ive also put and I dont know what there called...other than little girls ponytail ties...that have the ribbon out of see through shiney material...I put the pony tail at the end (bottom) of the glass to match the theme color I want....

I have found u can basically use anything that can hold the cakes secure..vases...metal stands...even boxes nicely done...and then drape with cloth. Flower pots (cermanic and colorful)...ANYTHING....

soygurl Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:09am
post #10 of 17

I've been wondering the same thing! I've got a friend/co-worker that is interested in using wine glasses as pillars for her wedding cake... but she wants TWO sets of wine glasses! icon_eek.gif
Hey, OP, mind PMing me the original link for the cake you posted so I can add it to my favorites? icon_wink.gif

deliciously_decadent Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:59am
post #11 of 17

hi i have seen a few of these and lov ethe idea and am waiting for the right bride to sujest it to. i would do it by purchasinf a couple of cheap glasses from a dollar shop or similar and super glue them to the bottom and top board then dowel underneath for support and RI the top and bottom tiers tothe top and bottom boards that contain the glasses so that when the bride and groom go to 'cut the cake' it doesn't all come falling down (I am a bit paranoid about tiers moving icon_razz.gif )

SugaredUp Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:10pm
post #12 of 17

waterfallsoygurl - I never added it to my faves, unfortunately, I just saved it on my computer. If you do a search on gracefull's cakes, you can probably find it there!

4laynes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 17

What a great idea. The slender flutes would look wonderful too.

mcdonald Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:02pm
post #14 of 17

have to try this one!!

toodlesjupiter Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #15 of 17

Here's another one where the whole cake is elevated on wine glasses(and it's a big cake). Love the effect!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=16234

SugaredUp Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #16 of 17

Toodlesjupiter, that's another really beautiful cake!

toodlesjupiter Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:22pm
post #17 of 17

Yeah, danasflowers did an awesome job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%