Trick To Re-Using Dummies?

Decorating By Lenette Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 6:28pm by indydebi

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 3

I have noticed several people here are able to get multiple designs/photos from one dummy cake.

I usually cover mine with fondant and would like to be able to get several design shots out of one covering. However, by the time I remove the decorations from one design the cake already looks beat up, has markings/discoloration on it from the previous decorations.

What am I doing wrong?

Does anyone have suggestions or tips for how to apply decorations so I can get 2-3 designs out of the one display?

TIA! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 3

There is a product I saw somewhere that lets you cover the dummy just like regular frosting only it hardens. It is usually used by bakeries that have the window display cakes. If it starts to get dusty or durty you just take a wet washrag to it. You could use this as your "base frosting" then decorate with regular frosting ontop of it. Take your pics and then wash it off to start again. Just an idea. HTH
Teresa

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 3

I only use BC ... on real cakes and on dummies .... but here's how you can get multiple shots.

Cover cake in fondant. SImple cake. Click!! One photo.
Add a ribbon around the base. Simple cake with ribbon. Click! Two photos.
Add pearls around the bottom borders on the outside of the ribbon. Click!! THree photos.
Add flowers on the top tier. Click! Four photos.
Add flowers on the other tiers. Click! FIve photos.

The trick is NOT taking stuff off, but adding stuff in steps. This is also a great way to show a bride a "before and after" shot of what a cake can look like in simple form ... and then after you add some special touches.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%