Lifting Buttercream

Decorating By ekbear Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 12:14pm by poshcakedesigns

ekbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ekbear Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:59am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, I just have a quick question that I am hoping someone can shed some light to, I made a Strawberry Shortcake "Character" cake as a practice cake for my daughters 2nd birthday and in the end it really looked good and she really liked it, but while I was star tipping it I was noticing that the buttercream wasn't sticking to the cake, I was touching the tip to the cake and sqeezing the icing out and it came out okay but when I stopped sqeezing the bag of icing and tried to lift off the icing was lifting off with the tip, I managed to finish the cake and it looked good, I would've used it if I needed to but I would like to know if anyone can shed some light for next time.......

Thanking everyone in advance.

5 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 6

Did you crumb coat it first?

Sometimes if your cake is too moist, that will happen. I helped with a groom's cake (carved 3D) that was way too moist and the frosting just peeled off of it.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 6

if your icing is to dry it can lift like you describe

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 6

You may want to try a light crumb coat next time. Buttercream sticks to buttercream really well. Or maybe just apply more pressure when starting your star (the tip barely touching the cake). HTH

Glad to hear she liked her cake!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 6

It really sounds like your icing was too stiff.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 6

Sounds like your icing was to stiff or dry. Add a drop or two of milk to thin it out some. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%