My First Cake Disaster, Kinda Long, Sorry.

Decorating By candicue Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 12:35pm by -K8memphis

candicue Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:26am
post #1 of 4

Ok so I just have to vent for a minute, now I have only done 8 stacked 3 or more layer cakes, but I thought hey its been smooth sailing so far, UNTIL NOW!!!!! I was asked to make a three tiered 40th birthday cake for Sat. So I stacked the 1st and second layers on top of each other and left the top off to put on upon delivery. Everything was going great, I was on my way, and it was only 7 miles away(now I did a cake in Feb that was 200 miles away, no prob), except out where I live we have a lot of hills and to get on the freeway onramp was at a 45 degree angle. And that's where my cake failed me..... The back of the cake couldn't hold to the pressure of the turning on the onramp and completely cracked and fell off. By the time I had got to the party the second tier was just a heap of frosting all over my bottom layer. Luckly I have very understanding customers, and the fact that they had already had about 5 drinks in them didn't hurt none. Now I manged with a lot of paper towels to get the second tier off wipe the white frosting off the black fondant, I know it had to be black fondant. And I luckly I brought a whole bag of frosting with me. So I put the top tier on the bottom, covered the areas i couldn't clean the frosing off with piping and gumpaste roses, and slithered out of there. Well this makes me really doubt if this is the field I really should be trying to do.

Thanks for letting me Rant an Rave for a minute.

3 replies
karateka Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:04am
post #2 of 4

I'm so sorry this happened to you!

Don't quit. We all have those moments, esp when things go wrong. Have a glass of wine and be glad it's over. Tomorrow is another day.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 4

If you wanna give a brief run down of how you made the cake. Like a day in the life of your cake. Box or mix, frige or no frige, when did you bake it, was it in a box in your car, agh, what kind of support system? Pertinent stuff like that. Because this way we can diagnose the issue.

I mean maybe you just gotta bring somebody to hold the cake and keep it level. Maybe there are some other things you can do to ensure a safe delivery.

And I am sorry that happened. But consider using it to make you a better caker.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 4

And I mean, I/we will offer suggestions and stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%