Tips And Tricks For Stringwork

Decorating By Cakenator Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 12:20pm by snowshoe1

Cakenator Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:25am
post #1 of 12

Just wondering if any of you wonderful people have any tips or tricks for string work? I've been practicing all day and I'm really starting to get frustrated. Thanks!!

11 replies
JoAnnB Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:16am
post #2 of 12

Be sure your icing is the right consistency. A bit of piping gel can soften it if it is too stiff.

If you find lumps, strain the icing through a (new) nylong stocking, it will make an amazing difference

Work with a small bag, you have more control.

snowshoe1 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 12

You are going through the same thing I'm going through icon_cry.gif - I've been practicing for several weeks now. Here are some tips a few of the experts on CC have given me (even following these I find that at least one out of three of the strings will break and need to be redone):

- your icing should be made with egg whites for strength (one book I have suggests adding a tiny bit of glycerin for stretch - I have not done this)
- ditto on the nylon trick from the previous poster; saves the frustration of clogged tips
- keep the icing as fresh as possible; use parchment bags with only a few tablespoons of icing in each bag
- mix your icing slowly in your mixer (or by hand) - goal is to incorporate as little air as possible
- use seamless tips (e.g. PME or Berkenal)
- keep a fine, damp paintbrush at hand to push down dots
- one of the CC experts described the icing consistency to me a 'rubber band' quality, which has helped alot!

I'm taking two stringwork classes this weekend - so if I have anymore tips I try to remember to PM you. I think the key to this is patience, trial and error, and it is most likely not mastered in a day or two.

Good luck.

ETA - you may want to search CC for members that have stringwork you admire and email them for advice. I got some great replies doing this.

Cakenator Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks so much. I'm so jealous that you are going to a class for this...

My main problem is when piping the wings (I guess that is that they are called) I can't get the strings to be the same length.

I guess practice makes perfect.

Please PM me if you learn anymore tips. Thanks!!

plbennett_8 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 12

Never mind the PMing... Post anything you learn in that class this weekend on here!!! String work still scares me...lol icon_surprised.gif I'm sure there are many of us that would love any insight into making it work...

Thanks!
Pat

4laynes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbennett_8

Never mind the PMing... Post anything you learn in that class this weekend on here!!! String work still scares me...lol icon_surprised.gif I'm sure there are many of us that would love any insight into making it work...

Thanks!
Pat

Ditto that!

I bought one of those plastic garland marker thingys and had a hard time getting the string to land exactly on the holes the marker left. I had all these little holes showing. Yuck!

lorijom Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:10am
post #7 of 12

Snowshoe are you taking the classes at Cake camp? I'm taking an Australian stringwork class there with Kathy Scott...I'm so excited icon_smile.gif Just hoping I have no trouble getting my covered dummy thru security at the airport icon_rolleyes.gif

iamlis Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:29am
post #8 of 12

Well I have taken 3 classes with Geraldine Randlesome (her class was packed this weekend, but I got into Collette Peters! But I bet some others who go it will post!!) AND I have yet to do it, I practice then stick the dummies in the dishwasher so no one sees the disaster! Sooo I may not be able to post here, except to say...Royal with egg whites and well needed with your spatula, then strained through a nylon in parchment, I also practice with Bekenal tips, they are very nice-but pricey so I keep them in a special place! My official advice is this...Drink a bottle of whine, get a stool and relax then pipe away icon_smile.gif GOOD LUCK! I bet a ton of people are in the same boat as you dear with the OSSAS approaching icon_smile.gif

iamlis Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:30am
post #9 of 12

OOPS...I have a one year old-Let me edit that to say drink a bottle of WINE, not whine! LOL!

plbennett_8 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlis

OOPS...I have a one year old-Let me edit that to say drink a bottle of WINE, not whine! LOL!

Laughing... icon_razz.gif With string work...I think that you got it correct the first time...whine...giggle... icon_rolleyes.gif

Hehehe,
Pat

indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:29am
post #11 of 12

I did a small cake with stringwork just a couple of weeks ago. I just used my regular BC. If you're doing like 3 loops of strings inside each other, I found quite by accident that doing the lowest (longest) loop first, then placing the next one inside that loop, then the smallest one inside that, it's easier. It's like putting the frame on,then filling in the frame. I was amazed at what a difference it made in making my loops/strings uniform.

Let gravity do some of the work to place the string/loop. I used to move my arm to make the loop/string, then someone told me to connect the first point ... squeeze and let gravity pull the loop down the desired length .... the connect the 2nd point. Takes a little practice to get them even every time, but after just a few, you're in the rhythm.

I luv the Australian stringwork look! Tried it once and hid it away until I can get MUCH better at it!

snowshoe1 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:20pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

Snowshoe are you taking the classes at Cake camp? I'm taking an Australian stringwork class there with Kathy Scott...I'm so excited icon_smile.gif Just hoping I have no trouble getting my covered dummy thru security at the airport icon_rolleyes.gif

Yep - I'll see you in Kathy's class (I'm also taking the one with Geraldine). I'll be the one looking completely confused, lost, and itching to get back to the poker and blackjack tables icon_wink.gif - I still need to cover all my dummies for the weekend (and pack everything, make GP flowers for the corsage class, etc... icon_rolleyes.gif ).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%