Convection Ovens

Decorating By mare Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 6:34pm by Suebee

mare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mare Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:14am
post #1 of 15

How many of you use a convection oven when baking your cakes? I just got a convection/regular bake oven, and I want to hear what you think about using a convection oven.

14 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 15

Thats all i bake with. Remember to lower the temp at least 25 degrees and bake with the fan on low.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 15

Love mine - I can use all three racks and no hot/cool spots in the oven.

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 15

I agree drop your temp and use your low setting I also raise the hummidity in my oven by adding a pan full of water with vanilla beans .

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 15

When I first got my oven I really wasn't doing all that much baking so I hardly used it. I tried it a few times here and there and really didn't seem to care for it bc I thought that every time I baked chocolate it smelled burnt. Well, things have taken off for my business and it was taking me 1-1/2 days to get the baking done, so something had to give. I went back to experimenting with the convection and things really aren't getting over cooked, I still get "it's so moist" comments, and I can pretty much get all the baking done in a day. (I have been looking at commercial convection ovens lately and I could fit one through my front door I would own one).

Good luck! I know you'll be happy with how much bake time it takes off of all of your cakes!

-Michelle

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 15

I'm getting a convection oven in my new house and can't wait to bake in it but I have a question. How do you know how to long to bake a cake compared to a regular oven? If I normally bake at 325 should I bake at 300? TIA

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 15

I just bought a GE Profile convection for my house and I think it takes longer to bake on convevtion. I had a repair man come yesterday to check to make sure it was working and he needed to re calibrate the temp. I had been using it at 365 but baked a cake last night at 325. he directions say it will compensate the temp so use what the recipe says.
I guess I will let you know this weekend when I have more to bake.
Are most of you using 2 or 3 inch pans?

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

If you use all 3 racks, does it take longer? I have the convection option on my oven and I tried playing around with it once but I didnt really find that it was faster? Maybe I just need to play more?

I did notice that when I put in my baking temp it did automatically adjust it 25 degrees for the convection.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayadesigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

If you use all 3 racks, does it take longer? I have the convection option on my oven and I tried playing around with it once but I didnt really find that it was faster? Maybe I just need to play more?

I did notice that when I put in my baking temp it did automatically adjust it 25 degrees for the convection.

No - I have not adjusted my baking times - I didn't know convection was meant to bake faster - I thought it was to bake more even (?). I keep my fan on high (not sure why others use low - can someone explain what the advantage is?). Mine also automatically adjusts for the 25 degree difference.

mare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mare Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 15

Thank you all for responding to my question. My oven does take the 25 degrees off when turned on, and I think my fan runs on low all the time because I don't see anywhere to adjust the speed. The directions for my oven say to put the food in the oven and then set the temperature. I don't see a pre-heat feature either.

I'm a little upset with myself for not taking my 16" round cake pan with me shopping because it 'barely' fits. What happens to a cake if the pan touchs the back of the oven ever so slightly? If I can't use it, then I'll just have to go with the 14" round as my biggest size for wedding cakes.

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 15

I have a new Kenmore Elite convection oven - the instruction booklet advised against using the convection feature to bake cakes (although I do have a seperate 'Cake' button - it does not cook by convection).... read your book, it should give you guidelines...

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm
post #12 of 15

Check in to buying 1/2 pans, i can't fit more then a 14 round comfortably in my oven, but i can bake 3 12x18's at one time. My old oven couldn't fit anything larger then a 14 so i already had the 1/2 pans when i purchased this stove.

Higher fan temp can blow batter around and cause a darker crust. Now i do know that there is a big difference in the commercial ovens i use at work as apposed to the home convection, the commercial ovens have a much stronger fan then my home oven.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:11am
post #13 of 15

I have a dual fuel Frigidaire 42" range which has a 5 burner gas cooktop a small elec. oven on the left side and a 36" convection oven on the right.

I LOVE the conv. for baking especially. My cakes rise a little more and come out more evenly done. I have had 4 pans ( OR ALSO 48 cupcakes) in at once and they come out fine.
Most bakery cooks a little quicker on conv. so I always check 5 min before the minimum time the recipe states.

I have found the best course of action for my oven is to preheat on regular bake at the temp the recipe calls for. When I put the cake in I switch to conv bake and subtract 10 degrees even though my oven instructs that the oven will self adjust the temp.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 15

For awhile, I didn't use the convection feature of the oven for my cakes. I was worried that it might dry out the cakes or might not make the fully cooked. Now I use the convection feature for the cakes. Before for the conventional oven I baked my cakes at 325 but now with the convection oven i bake at 300 degrees; I also preheat my oven to 350 and once the cakes are loaded i lower the temperature to 300. I also use bake even strips and a flower nail (depending on the size of the cake).

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 15

How much time do you save? What do you normally bake your 12" round for in a normal oven vs. conv.? How many can you put in at a time?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%