Fondant

Decorating By easternshores Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm by Bomboncito

easternshores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
easternshores Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:10am
post #1 of 17

Every piece of fondant I have ever tasted, was like old gum or chewy paper. Never have I tasted a fondant that tastes good? Poeple have asked me if I have thought about working with it and honestly, no. If a cake does not taste good to me, no matter how pretty it is (NOT KNOCKING ANY OF YOU!!!!) I will not make it. Is there a form of fondant or something like it that tastes GOOD?

16 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:29am
post #2 of 17

Are you talking about the taste or the texture? You can do a lot for the taste. The texture just is what it is, and gives fondant that smooth look.

I use marshmallow fondant because it's cheap, fairly easy to make, and reliable. Sometimes I add butter flavoring or a flavoring oil...you can use the Lorann's oil flavorings but it takes a whole tiny bottle for one batch. I've used orange oil too, from the gourmet grocery store, and that made it taste really good.

You can make chocolate marshmallow fondant and that tastes like fudge.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:14am
post #3 of 17

There are good fondants and VERY BAD fondants on the market. My customers taste my choc. fondant and order it. Personally, I think the key is a good tasting fondant rolled as thin as you are comfortable rolling it. My own opinion, I think people like thinner oposed to thick fondant. I also put a normal layer of icing because I think people expect icing... and like it icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 17

I agree...I think people prefer cakes with icing. It all comes down to whether you would rather have a great tasting cake or a perfectly smooth cake.

I never cover my cakes in fondant. I only use the marshmallow fondant for decorations and banners. Every place I have been where a fondant cake was served...shower or wedding, I watch people pick it off to eat the cake and icing.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 17

I like Satin Ice. I decorate for mostly buttercream eaters, and even they like Satin Ice. They wouldn't want it on every cake, but they do eat in when I make a cake with it.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 17

I have tried fondants off the shelf and really don't care too much for them. The homemade MMF is good, though, and you can flavor it to your liking. That is what is nice about it. Also, although I am not a fan of eating fondant, I DO like the taste of choco-pan, and would have no problems serving/eating that stuff!

mymomandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymomandmecakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 17

My first cakes were with Fondant and I didn't even taste it ..when I finally did I was like no way never going to use that stuff. but my husband HAS to taste each color everytime and tells me how bad it taste. LOL

I made marshmallow fondant once...didnt get the mix right it kept tearing but them I used it on cookies and they tasted wonderful so this wweekened I am going to give it another try!! It is pretty and sooo smoooth but I have become a master at buttercream and making it look like fondant and I am comfortable with that!!! lol

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymomandmecakes

My first cakes were with Fondant and I didn't even taste it ..when I finally did I was like no way never going to use that stuff. but my husband HAS to taste each color everytime and tells me how bad it taste. LOL

I made marshmallow fondant once...didnt get the mix right it kept tearing but them I used it on cookies and they tasted wonderful so this wweekened I am going to give it another try!! It is pretty and sooo smoooth but I have become a master at buttercream and making it look like fondant and I am comfortable with that!!! lol

You should try rolled buttercream on your cookies. It tastes so good if you put vanilla and butter flavoring in it. It works just like MMF too.

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm
post #9 of 17

I hated fondant until I tried Satin Ice and I have to admit, it is yummy!

My aunt swears by chocopan.

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:12pm
post #10 of 17

I hope you were not eating the Wilton stuff! That stuff is so nasty! If I were you I would try Michelle Fosters Delicious Fondant recipe here on CC. It is so yummy! If you cover the cake with plastic wrap after you have covered it and let it sit for a while the fondant will absorb the moisture and flavor of the BC.

HTH!

mymomandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymomandmecakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 17

yes it was wilton in every color available....and he just keeps tasting it...I say it doesn't taste like red....ha ha or blue or what ever color I am using....i think he hoped that it would just get better or he would get used to it....lol

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:25pm
post #12 of 17

Wilton fondant is awful. It is enough to put anyone off fondant forever.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:56pm
post #13 of 17

My daughter loves the wilton stuff - sometimes I really question her taste. I am an avid cook as well, so she is quite used to gourmet meals and good food all around. I just don't get it. The stuff is gross. If she asks me to do her wedding cake in wilton fondant, I think I am going to throw up!

Bomboncito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bomboncito Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #14 of 17

I'm from Puerto Rico and I also use marshmallow fondant. It's easy to make and people like it.

I add a touch of almond flavoring to get a perfect taste. I put a normal layer of icing first, then I roll the fondant until I get a thinner layer, then cover my iced cake. Everybody told me that they like my fondant, because it's different than the "gum" they tasted in other cakes.

Hope this can help!

missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:04pm
post #15 of 17

What is rolled buttercream? It sounds interesting.

easternshores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
easternshores Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy1993

I hope you were not eating the Wilton stuff! That stuff is so nasty! If I were you I would try Michelle Fosters Delicious Fondant recipe here on CC. It is so yummy! If you cover the cake with plastic wrap after you have covered it and let it sit for a while the fondant will absorb the moisture and flavor of the BC.

HTH!

Where exactly can I find this recipe?

Bomboncito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bomboncito Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm
post #17 of 17

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%