Mixers

Decorating By clarasmommy Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 1:05pm by BigTexinWV

clarasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarasmommy Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:54am
post #1 of 18

I would like to purchase a mixer, but I don't wanna get the wrong one, so I was wondering if you wonderful CC folks could give me a few pointers on my journey... I need something reasonable priced, that will work for as much as possible.. I don't need anything too heavy duty, I'm VERY new at cakes, I just would like one, to save me from hand mixing buttercream! Any advice will be oh so much appreciated! Thanks a ton!
Tammy icon_smile.gif

17 replies
cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:07am
post #2 of 18

I love my Kitchen Aid, I've had it for about 5 years and it gets a real workout. It's never failed me. My sister has a Mixmaster and she likes the way the beaters turn on that one, but she doesn't bake as much as me, so I'm not sure how good it is long term.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:07am
post #3 of 18

Well, you'll get lots of differing opinions on this so I'll just tell you I use a kitchen aid, but hear that cuisanart (sp) is good too

Have fun and welcome

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 18

I have both a Kitchenaid 600 and a Bosch Universal. Both have 6 quart bowls but that's where the similarities end.

The KA's motor and drive are over the bowl while the Bosch's is a belt drive that is next to and under the bowl. I use my Bosch more than my KA in part because of the stronger motor (I grind my own flour and bake all of our bread. The Bosch will knead enough whole grain dough for 6 loaves of bread without breaking a sweat.) The other thing I like about the Bosch is the two part lid. It has a ring and a center piece that seperate from each other. When I make buttercream I put all the ingredients in the bowl, put the lid on and let 'er rip! No powdered sugar covered cabinets and everything mixes wonderfully.

I like them both, I use them both but if I had to pick just one it would hands down be my Bosch.

Of course opinions are subjective things and the next person may absolutely hate the Bosch and love the KA (or some other brand). If there is any possibility of seeing mixers in person and messing with the features I would suggest doing that. You won't get a real idea until you actually use them but go look at some, mess with the features and imagine how they would work if you're making one of your regular recipes. I know the Vikings have a good reputation as does the Electrolux so it's really a matter of you finding what you want to work with. icon_smile.gif

HTH and happy shopping!

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 18

I have three...a 5qt KA that is a work horse, a 6qt Bosch Universal that I just got and absolutely love, and a 20qt Hobart that is wonderful for mixing up a ton of icing or batter at once. I mainly use my Bosch due to the fact that I don't have to worry about that 'poof' of powdered sugar when making frosting and the fact that it's motor is so much more powerful then the KA!

I would recommend the Bosch, but like it was mentioned earlier, the right mixer for you is entirely up to you and your tastes. HTH!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 18

I love my Kitchen aid (4.5 quart), and am looking to get either the 5 or 6 quart very soon, pending a possible deal I have to rent a hotel kitchen to get my business off the ground.

Anyway, you can get a decent mixer on eBay (either new or used) for a very reasonable price. Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 18

I just got my KA (4.5 qrt) last month and I absolutely love it!!!
I had used it to make my buttercream instead of a hand mixer for the first time. The buttercream came out smoother, the consistancy was wonderful, and I had made enough to cover a 3 tiered cake in one shot.
I also consider myself a newbie, so I don't get a lot of orders yet, but I wouldn't trade my KA for anything.
It make life so much easier.

clarasmommy Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 18

Thank you all so much! Off to the store I go...

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 18

Don't go to the stores just yet.
l'd look online if they have any sales or specials.
I got mine on a terrific sale at Macy's along with an emloyee discount because I had befriended a Macy's emloyee who was nice enough to buy one for me (with my money).
there are a lot of sales going on around holidays or just clearance specials. Do your homework.

clarasmommy Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 18

Well, I found some kitchen aid ones at lowes.com, but no bosch, which was the most highly recommended. I compaired the KA with Sunbeam brand, and they were exactly the same, and Sunbeam was about 50 dollars cheaper. I can't afford much.. $150. is pushin it, so I don't know. I might have to wait till Christmas! I will check Macys.com, sears, and a few other places, but I'm gonna have to order online, because there is nothing in my area... I just don't know what will be the best for me. I'm definitely a newbie, so I'm kinda just goin off what you folks say.

clarasmommy Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 18

Ok, so I looked at macys.com and found some on sale, and was wondering if any of you could look at the ones I'm posting the links to, and tell me if any of them are worth getting...
This one is Hamilton Beach
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=274412&CategoryID=7571

This one is Sunbeam
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=315104&CategoryID=7571

And this one is also a sunbeam
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=103691&CategoryID=7571

I would appreciate any help.
Tammy icon_smile.gif

roosterroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roosterroses Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 18

I am not too crazy about Hamilton Beach for mixers.

Some of the Linens-n-Things stores are closing... check around to see if any in your area are part of those... they offer nice mixers, and you may find a great deal - maybe even a display model without its box.
Worth a try!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #13 of 18

Have you tried looking on Craigslist in your area? I see KA's on there all the time. If you can only spend $150 right now then you will get the most bang for your buck with a used or good deal KA. (Unless of course you find a screaming deal on some other brand but I know the Bosch's are closer to $400).

If you are like a lot of us on here you'll get to the point where you'll be wanting more than one and you can aim to get the Bosch the next time around. I do like my KA and even if I didn't it would be better than nothing! icon_biggrin.gif

I have a kitchen appliance habit and if it weren't for all the yummy things that I make my DH would probably want to hurt me! lol

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #14 of 18

I'm chiming in on the Bosch praises. I bake a lot of bread and do my buttercream in the Bosch. For mixing up cakes and cookie doughs I use my OLD!!(while Hobart still owned the company -- don't get me started on the new KA's!!) Kitchen Aid.

If I had to absoulutley give up one, it would be the Kitchen Aid.

Take my Bosch and I would challenge you to a duo with handmixers at 20 paces!!

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #15 of 18

I would not recommend the sunbeam - I have had 2 of those (both given to me as a gift) and they both burned out very quickly - I mean within a few months. I just don't think their little motors can hold up to making very much icing

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:52pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

I would not recommend the sunbeam - I have had 2 of those (both given to me as a gift) and they both burned out very quickly - I mean within a few months. I just don't think their little motors can hold up to making very much icing

I agree.. Sunbeam suxs!! I bought one when I had an emergency (long story..) and returned it to the store the next day. That stooopid stand mixer wouldn't even mix cookie dough without me manually turning the bowl.

clarasmommy Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:02pm
post #17 of 18

Ok then, I'm gonna look for a Kitchen Aid.. The only stores near me are Sears, JC Penneys, Lowes, and I believe that's it.. so I will have to order online for absolute sure. Thank you all so very much!

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:05pm
post #18 of 18

I bought my 5qt KA from Ebay for $175. I feel like I got a really good deal, this was brand new not refurbished. I also did not have that much money when I bought it, but after making a batch of royal icing with a handheld- I knew I needed an upgrade. I went through a hand held mixer about once every 2 weeks. icon_mad.gif At first my DH was against the idea, so when I broke a hand held I sent him to the store to buy a new one. It only took two trips in a very busy weekend, and he was convinced. (The man hates going to Wal*Mart)

I now have Trixie (my black KA) She is the pride of my kitchen.
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%