Michelle Fosters Fondant Milk Or Water? Spoilage?

Decorating By coldtropics Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 6:37pm by dandelion56602

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:57am
post #1 of 13

Does it matter? Does the milk add somethiing? What about spoilage? thanks guys.

12 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:18am
post #2 of 13

I don't know how long it's supposed to last and remain fresh, but I've kept mine for a couple of months, tightly wrapped and in the cupboard. It doesn't spoil because the sugar acts as a preservative to the milk. I don't know if I'd cover an entire cake with 2 month old fondant, but I've used it for accents many times with no ill effects. I always use milk.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:22am
post #3 of 13

Ditto on the 2 mo. old fondant accents. You can also freeze it for a very long time.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:29am
post #4 of 13

With all that sugar and so little moisture no germies will grow. I have some from 6 months ago (various small hunks of colors) that are still more than fine flavor wise with no spoilage. It is shelf stable and as long as you wrap ot well it will last for a loooooong time. icon_smile.gif

coldtropics Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:34am
post #5 of 13

thanks guys... is it worth it to make vs buying satin ice?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:54am
post #6 of 13

It's some of the best fondant I have ever used.. and I have used a lot. Satin Ice (hate it), Fondex (not too bad), Choco-Pan (pretty darn good), MMF (crap), Toba Garrett's fondant (way too sweet for me), you name it.. I use Michele's recipe for everything.. it's easy to make and comes out great everytime. I make batches at a time and store it in big buckets. icon_smile.gif

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 13

I also prefer Michele Foster's to all others. It's really not difficult to make and it is way more cost effective than buying. I suppose if you are a very busy caker, it is easier to buy fondant, I'm just not there.

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 13

I have some of Michele Foster's Fondant I have kept wrapped in saran wrap and then a ziploc for about a month. I am going to be using it this week on a cake. It's still as good as the day I made it!!! I use milk as well. I love her fondant. I costs me $5.82 to make a 5 pound batch. So very very inexpensive.

HTH
Jessica

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 13

Okay, maybe i did something wrong, but after mine set for a month something tasted "Off". Not sure what, not totally bad, just different than when it was fresh. Anyone else have this happen. When I buy mine I only use FondX for White or Sweet Inspiration for Red or Black. IMO Satin Ice tastes awful.

coldtropics Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:47am
post #10 of 13

Im getting ready to make MF fondant tonight.... ran out of glycerine had to get more... I kinda like satin ice. Fondex is pretty good. Choco pan is great but i find it hard to work with. MMF not a big fan. I plan on making a good bit so i hope this stuff is good. thumbs_up.gif

coldtropics Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:21am
post #11 of 13

ok... just made it. it took about a half pound of powdered sugar more than the recipe called for in order to make it workable. Feels nice.
Cost per 10lbs: about $16.00 not including milk and extracts. (powdered sugar, glycerine, butter, corn syrup, gelatine,) So, $32.00/20lbs. Dont know about the workablility yet but it is cheaper than satin ice which is what i usually use. and no shipping.
Did have a question.... i want to try the white chocolate version... anyone know if candy melts work? Honestly, I dont like the taste of finer white chocolate... with the exception of Lindt. So, i wanted to give the wafers a go.??

thanks you guys.

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:11am
post #12 of 13

I made a chocolate version yesterday, using 1 cup of candy melts. You put the chocolate in and let it melt with the other liquid in your double boiler. I think maybe next time I will add a little more milk and be very careful not to add too much sugar, because once it cooled it got very dry (from the chocolate). I would think you could do the same with white chocolate. I just started using MF fondant, after trying a lot of other recipes, and it is the BEST! I haven't had time to have it sit on the shelf for awhile, but thanks for all the info! thumbs_up.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:37pm
post #13 of 13

Oooh, it's great. I added an extra 2 T glycerine & the workability is AMAZING!!! I've stored mine a few months in saran then bagged & it's still fine. I use different flavors, my dd's fav is made w/ Cream Bouquet. I can't wait to try the white chocolate!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%