Notting Hill Cake

Decorating By rvercher23 Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm by Soniabean

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:45am
post #1 of 8

Ok, I have a bride who wants the cake that is from the movie Notting Hill with Julia Roberts. It looks almost like a pyramid but is seperated by little balls in between layers of the cakes. I dont know how to do the supports for this cake, I am so afraid that it wont hold up....Please Help!
LL

7 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:55am
post #2 of 8

I cant' say for sure how it was done, but I think if I was going to copy the design that I would use a separator plate both under and above each tier. So the balls rest on a plate. You could even glue the balls to the top plate so that they are secured in position.

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 8

I think that you need good plates that are the appropriate size and then the globe separaters that wilton sells or fondant covered wooden balls?? Thinking out loud here..... Square cakes to start and then know the proper angle to trim it at... If you imagine it as a regular tiered cake with pillars it's not as scary.... Good Luck!! I love that movie!!

msgwinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msgwinn Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #4 of 8

Hi I would have to say that I am not sure about the balls, maybe styrofoam covered in fondant. Or wood balls painted white, flat tops and bottoms, you could possibly drill holes through the balls for your dowel rods. and I am guessing white square separator plates. Hope this helps.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:13am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakenicing4u

I think that you need good plates that are the appropriate size and then the globe separaters that wilton sells or fondant covered wooden balls??

This is what I was thinking too

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:19am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgwinn

you could possibly drill holes through the balls for your dowel rods

That's a good idea-for added security.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:39am
post #7 of 8

i am not sure how it is done either but i would use dowels and styrofoam/polystyrene balls. basically using the theory of pillars but with icing/fondant covered polystyrene/styrofoam balls you can buy them from craft supply shops.

Soniabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soniabean Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 8

Hmm... I don't know if this will help. Wilton make a Globe Pillar and Base set seen here:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=01BC340D-802D-F658-0CD45CAA252EAB95&fid=01BC342C-802D-F658-04F75CC3D5E68FDD

Maybe this will help with some support issues or at least give you the ball size you need. Hope this helps.
Soniabean

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%