Football Without The Pan?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 7:12am by deliciously_decadent

LoriMc Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 3

What would be the easiest way to make a football out of cake, if you don't have the football pan?

2 replies
my2rys Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:13am
post #2 of 3

you could cut your cake in a football shape - not leveling the top, or what I did was use an oval pan I had from my cake decorating class it was the perfect shape. It is a pan used to make baskets etc. I have found it useful for many different cakes.

deliciously_decadent Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:12am
post #3 of 3

hi i make 3D cakes all the time and have no 'shaped' tins, i carve all my cakes, a football is very easy: decide on the width you want your football ie 5" wide then get a 10" square tin and bake a standard 10" square cake. once baked and cooled level the top and cut hte cake in half, stick one half to the top of the other (you can use BC I use choc ganache as it sets firm and wont slide) now get a cake card (cardboard you sit you cake on from cake supply shops) and cut out an oval with pointed ends, best to be about 3 or 4" shorter than your football ie our 10" long 5" wide rectangle you would cut out a 6" long 2" wide oval and attach this to the top of your cake with ganache (or BC) now carve from the edge of the cardboard to the join of the two cakes (middle point of the cake) but make sure as you cut that you are going in an arch shape to the outside edge of the cake once you have done this on both sides of the cake and met the two sides in a point at each long end of your football flip the whole thing over and do the same to the top but making sure to round the top of your football off (the bottom will have a flat surface where the cardboard is so it sits flat) now cover with you desired icing! hope this helped and if you need any help or have any questions just let me know by posting here or PMing me, have fun!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%