Italian Cream Cake Greasy And Heavy

Decorating By Justbeck101 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 2:01pm by MARTIEQZ

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 13

I found a recipe that someone had posted on another site and I tried it out today.
It was greasy and heavy. I thought that the recipe called for a lot of crisco, but I thought I would try it anyway.
Also, I did use crisco and flour for the pans when the recipe called for butter and flour, does that make a difference ?
Here is the link to the recipe
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/11985

Please tell me what i did wrong.
Thanks

12 replies
Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 13

Here is a Italian Creme Layer Cake recipe that is a wonderfull. I change a little the recipe adding almond flavor and I do not use either the coconut flakes and chopped pecans. I stuff the cake with strawberries and use strawberry buttercream. It's delicious.

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 13

No, the crisco and flower in the pans shouldn't matter... That recipe is a traditional Italian Cream cake. They are a dense and heavy cake (and might I add - SO delicious!!)

My recipe uses 1 stick butter and 1/2 cup shortening - try that, and maybe it won't be so greasy. Mines dense/heavy, but I wouldn't call it greasy... (and coconut and pecans - is a must!) icon_smile.gif

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 13

I use the doctored Italian Cream cake recipe from CC, and its delicious, it is my most popular cake I sell. I couldnt imagine putting that much shortening in a cake.

BoothsBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoothsBest Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 13

I don't have my recipe in front of me (I am at work), but that does sound like a lot of crisco. I know my recipe calls for butter and oil (liquid, not crisco), but I don't think it is that much. Try a search of other Italian Cream Cake recipes, I am sure there are several out there. Also, the spray for the pans really shouldn't make a difference.

IMO - Yes the coconut and pecans are essential for a traditional Italian cream cake, but the strawberries sound good if you want something non traditional.

Justbeck101 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:27am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyallison

No, the crisco and flower in the pans shouldn't matter... That recipe is a traditional Italian Cream cake. They are a dense and heavy cake (and might I add - SO delicious!!)

My recipe uses 1 stick butter and 1/2 cup shortening - try that, and maybe it won't be so greasy. Mines dense/heavy, but I wouldn't call it greasy... (and coconut and pecans - is a must!) icon_smile.gif

It tastes really good, the flavor of it. I just thought it was a little greasy. Is it supposed to be white or like not so white? I don't know how else to put it! lol
I have made one that was doctored before, but i am trying to only bake from scratch.

The bakery in my town offers Italian Cream Cake and everyone in town says it the best around. I had my husband stop by and pick me up a slice of it today and I thought it was terrible. My kids would not even eat it. It tasted like it was left in the fridge too long and there was no flavor to it other then the fridge oder.

Anyway, I am going to try again tomorrow and use more butter less crisco.

If you can, just let me know if it is supposed to be really white or not.

Thanks

cakesbyallison Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 13

I wouldn't say it was "white", maybe offwhite?! Also baking can be tricky... if you overbake this cake (watch it carefully!) it will be dry. Which is what sounds like happened to your bakery cake. I personally wouldn't use a doctored mix for an I.C. cake - I think there is distinct texture and flavor to this cake, I'm not sure you can get from a mix. I guess I'm just a stickler for scratch on this cake! Good luck w/ you butter - I think you'll like that version better!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 13

I've never had an Italian Cream cake that is white. I'd call it more of a butter pecan color. It is definitely a dense cake, but moist and delish. I use a recipe from Southern Living.

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 13

It must be a typo. I've made this cake a million times.
As cakesbyallison stated, it should only be 1/2 cup shortening.
I too use the Southern Living recipe and it reads exactly the same, except for the amount of oil.

Justbeck101 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 13

Do all of you always use the Italian Cream icing also or have you used butter cream?

cakesbyallison Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 13

Cream cheese icing is a must!!!

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 13

I have a recipe that I've used several times, similar to the one posted but I think uses less butter/crisco. I also used cake flour rather than all purpose and creamed the sugar and butter for 8-10 minutes. Came out light and moist. I brought it to work for a birthday and people were literally following me down the hall to tell me how good it was, "can I have the recipe?" etc. If interested, I'll find it and post it.

MARTIEQZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARTIEQZ Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:01pm
post #13 of 13

I also used the "doctored" mix recipe and it because the talk of the party everytime, with either pecans or walnuts. Now, I have a customer that wants a 200 svng, 4 tier wedding cake for November...I'm in Texas. Is this doable? Shouldn't it be kept refrigerated?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%