Help With Cake Board?

Decorating By yansbans Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 2:30pm by suchie6

yansbans Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 8

Hi gals,

I have a really silly question. How on earth do you "customize" a cake board? Or wrap a board?

I'm making a Star Wars cake for an 8 year old. It's going to be 2 lightsabers that cross. I have a fairly large metal tray. Like a cookie sheet, but very large.

How on earth do I make it black? Do you use paper? If so, what kind?

I'm usually pretty creative but cannot figure out the answer to this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

7 replies
sari66 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 8

You can use black wrapping paper then put clear contact paper on top of that.

nicoletyler7 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 8

They sell rolls of wrapping at cake dec. stores. They come in silver, gold, and white. You cut a piece about 2 inches bigger than your board all the way around, and you place your board on it (centered). Then you cut from the outer edge of the paper to the board and fold the foil onto the back of the board and tape it. If you make the slices in it it makes it so you can fit the foil around curves on the board. Hope that makes sense! Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

my2rys Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #4 of 8

I had to do a last minute board for a boys pokemon cake I used black posterboard/foamboard and didn't have to cover with anything it looked fine (of course nothing fancy - but he didn't want that)

deliciously_decadent Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:00am
post #5 of 8

the last board i needed black was for my speed racer car (needed it to be on a road) but couldn't use fondant rolled on the board like i normally do as i had to build a structure attached to the board to support the cake before i even started so i mixed up a liquad of icing sugar black food dye and water and painted it on in two coats it worked great (this was on a plywood bord so the board ansorbed the moisture leaving the black icing) if you are wanting to use a tin as a cake board i would recomend the wrapping paper method. i did thid when i first started making cakes for my kids, if you get the waxy shiny variety and the cake is not going to sit on it to long and is done in fondant not BC then you don't really have to contact it (that is more a health and safety thing we need to do when selling cakes as the cake should not be in contact with non food grade equipment like wrapping paper) hope this helped

Lynnscakes_sc Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 8

I go to the Dollar Store (or Wal-Mart) and get one of the black $1 table cloth. I use cardboard or foam board as the base, wrap it in aluminum foil and then cut the table cloth and wrap the board twice (securing with tape on the bottom). I have done several cakes now using the table cloth and I love it.

Classycakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 8

I bought a roll of self-adhesive black Contact paper. I ordered it on-line from Ace Hardware. It was $22 plus shipping for a 25 yard roll - plenty to last me for several years! I also ordered an almond roll too because that is also another popular colour for wedding cake boards. Now....if I could only find a solid brown roll, I'd be soooo happy!

Good luck with your cake!

suchie6 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 8

The Hallmark store has self adhesive wrapping paper - it works well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%