Dummy Questions

Decorating By nefcook21 Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 11:57am by gingersoave

nefcook21 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 7

How do you make dummy cakes for display? What do items are needed? Where can I get what I need? What about other food items? Cookies, cupcakes etc can those be done as dummies too?

Any and all information will be so appreciated.icon_smile.gif

6 replies
tana Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 7

I will like to know the details aswell, but I think you can use plaster for the icing and foam for the cakes. I believe you can find them at Michaels or Joanne Fabrics even Wallmart.

sweetflowers Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 7

I know a lot of decorators use dallasfoam website to order cake dummies. I get mine at the local cake shop. But I do use royal icing and real fondant to cover them. You can use patch n paint (light weight joint compound) also, but it has a little greyer tint.

As for cookies, I've just done regular sugar cookies, but with royal and fondant, the buttercream gets rancid.

I have a friend who just makes a regular cake and dries it out like a brick and covers that. I have also seen people use foam insulation and rice krispy treats as dummies.

indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:15am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

I know a lot of decorators use website to order cake dummies.

w w w . d a l l a s - f o a m . c o m

I use my regular bc. I dont' saran or wrap my dummies with anything. Just slap that icing right on there! Omit the flavoring obviously since you're not eating it anyway.

leah_s Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:55am
post #5 of 7

That website is the best for dummy form! They also have cupcake forms, I believe. I use PermaIce to replicate bc.

nefcook21 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:41am
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone for all the info. Time to get shopping! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

gingersoave Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:57am
post #7 of 7

I use regular royal icing with fondant on top. I also sometimes use rice krispy treats and cover in fondant if it's a unique shape. I did the starbucks cake in my photos out of RK treats and just took it down the other day and pulled the fondant off and the RK's are not molded, I plan to reuse them (not to eat, for another display). I am a WMI so I use lots of cake displays. I mostly just hot glue styrofoam together and cover in royal icing.

The rats don't seem to bother it.......ICK!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%