Help With Marbled Cake

Decorating By nicoletyler7 Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 7:23am by deliciously_decadent

nicoletyler7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoletyler7 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a 12x18 1/2 sheet cake. 2 layers high. I am trying to figure out how to do a mabled white and choc. cake. I think I know how to marble it. I am just wondering what the best way is so I don't waste a ton of cake. I will need 3 boxed cake mixes for each cake layer. So can I use 2 white cakes and 1 choc? I thouht you had to do white, choc,white choc and so on in each layer. Then swirl it in slightly. So I am not sure what to do. If I don't use a full box of mix can you store it for the next cake and if so how? I hope my question makes sense. Thanks! Oh yah one more thing the betty crocker cake mixes white and choc. bake for a different length of time. Will that affect it when baking them together?

6 replies
kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:13am
post #2 of 7

From what I saw the other night on a challenge they just dumped in one flavor and then randomly spooned the other over the top and swirled it. And no it shouldn't affect the time, just bake until it's done. You might want to lower the temp by 25 degrees and cook longer though.

mandm78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandm78 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #3 of 7

I have made quite a few marbled cakes. I do them in yellow/choc. I pour yellow mix first then spoon choc. batter here & there all over yellow batter, then just use a spatula or knife to make small swirls. I don't over swirl so it doesn't turn into light brown. Bake @ 325 for time on yellow box.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:11am
post #4 of 7

If you're using box mixes, I believe it's Betty Crocker makes a yellow/chocolate box mix.

Lesia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesia Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #5 of 7

I always just make the white cake, and pour about 3/4 of it into the pans. Add cocoa powder to the remaining batter, and a little more milk if necessary. Then pour the remaining "chocolate" batter into the pans and swirl through with a spatula.

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #6 of 7

Mandm78 - I do the same thing. It works great every time. Just spoon on the chocolate and then run a knife through the cake. I make rows with my knife up and down the cake. Sometimes I go the other way across the cake, too, but you can't do it too much or like Mandm78 said, it will all turn light brown and you lose the effect.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:23am
post #7 of 7

marbled seems to be the only cake i make these days as i offer to marble any of my flavours complimentary so that is what i alwasy end up doing!! all i do is make a half qnty for the size tin i am using of one flavour, poor that in then make the other half qnty for that sizzed tin poor that over the top then get my big soup ladle and gently fold the two together pulling the flavour up from the bottom and emptying on top once it all looks mixed around (obviously not to much or you may end up combining the two) i pop it in the oven, this method ensures that every piece has a bit of each flavour, other methods i have tried either don't get a good mis meaning that you end up with some pieces all one flavour and other methods mix it in to much. this i find marbles enough that in every piece you can see the clear contrast in flavour and colour in several sections.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%