Help I'm Desperate I Need Ideas W/pic

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 12:27pm by Molly2

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 19

I know I asked this before Iâm getting desperate I have been asked to make a Birthday cake for a friend whoâs wife is a marathon runner Iâve gotten a couple of ideas good ideas but It would really help if I could see pictures of a cake with a Runners Theme I have a picture of this lady in here runners shirt and shorts but my brain is blank please help if you have a picture of a cake with this theme or know of a website I could look at it would really help I only have a few days before I need to start on this cake also it needs to at least feed 70 people Thank You in advance

Molly2

18 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 19

I did a sheet cake (prob. not what you're lookin for though) for a guy that was a cross country runner

http://www.freewebs.com/khalstead/apps/photos/photo.jsp?photoID=9111644

I just cut out portions of the photo and airbrushed, really simple

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 19

I see some wonderful carved cakes in your pics, so what about making a pair of running shoes like the ones she wears? If you made cowboy boots, sneakers shouldn't be much harder!

Molly2 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 19

He sent a picture of her finishing a race with her children he would like it on a cake. KHalstead those are very pretty cakes he is asking for a cake that feeds at least 70 he is wanting the Runners theme I have been to many website looking for this theme and also looking for something that I can change up to this theme and I'm just not getting anything I would love to do a 3 D cake but like I said he wants this picture and it has to feed at least 70 my brain hurts trying to look for figure out what to do.

Molly icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 19

. . . so you have a picture . . . can you share it here . . . I guess (without seeing the photo) I would be trying to incorporate the "finish line" because it's all about finishing (and your own personal best time etc.) . . . your photo might help us come up with better suggestions . . . icon_confused.gif

Molly2 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 19

I would like to but cc rules say No the lady is kneeling with her two childern stand on each side of her she has on her running duds with baseball hat,sun glasses and a bottle of water in hand she is squatting between the two children all smiling. I have the air brush I have the editable image system I just need the idea. Thank you for helping me.

Molly

duhknees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duhknees Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 19

Hi there. I dont have a picture, other than mental. Can you carve figures out of fondant? If so, mimic the picture focusing on just that. Her and the children, water etc.....

Maybe something like that?

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 19

How about some banners with the names of various marathons scattered around the cake. Or based on your description of the picture maybe a water bottle, hat, sunglasses, stop watch, etc...

flbeachbummom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flbeachbummom Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 19

You could do a sheet cake with 3D running shoes like foxymomma recommended. You could then put some items next to the shoes as others have suggested. I would suggest a winner ribbon and then take the photo of her and her children and make it an edible image and also place it along with all the other things. Almost like a memory box type thing of the race. Things that remind her of that day! I hope this helps.

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 19

how about putting the picture on as an edible image then make the sunglasses,baseball cap,running shoes to place on or around the cake. then a banner or scroll announcing the winner......... icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

dee-lite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee-lite Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 19

Could you make the cake look like the cover of a magazine like Runners Digest" or something then take the photo and do an edible image as the cover story and do a headline like "great finish for "her name "and little blurb articles off on the sides that somehow incorporate her kids ..Just brainstormong here....

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:34pm
post #12 of 19

Oh oh! I vote for dee-lite's idea. That sounds very cool!!!

duhknees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duhknees Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-lite

Could you make the cake look like the cover of a magazine like Runners Digest" or something then take the photo and do an edible image as the cover story and do a headline like "great finish for "her name "and little blurb articles off on the sides that somehow incorporate her kids ..Just brainstormong here....

That is a really cute idea!

Molly2 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:06pm
post #14 of 19

Those are all very cute ideas where would I get the magazine Template

Molly2

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm
post #15 of 19

Have you seen the football field cakes with the jersey kind of hanging over the edge? You could do her running stuff out of fondant like some of the others have suggested. You could do a tiered square cake, like a 10 and a 7. Then just put the running stuff, i.e. shirt, shorts, shoes, finish line tape, water bottle, sunglasses, etc. draped here and there all around and then ontop you could do the pic as an edible image and make a gumpaste frame to stand it up. You should also see if she has a fav quote about endurance or running and add that too.....I have a grad cake in my photos that is sort of like what I'm talkin about....sorry so long.... icon_redface.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhknees

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-lite

That is a really cute idea!

I agree! I don't know if they have templates for this or not...you may have to just sketch your own up. Just get any mag and use it as a reference as far as placement. Does that make sense?

dee-lite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee-lite Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm
post #17 of 19

Depending on the size of the cake I would check some running mags out of the library scan the in to the computer then fool around with adding the clients photo....My dad did a sports Illustrated cover with my DD pic on it like this ...then turn the whole thing into an edible image??

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:02am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

I would like to but cc rules say No the lady is kneeling with her two childern stand on each side of her she has on her running duds with baseball hat,sun glasses and a bottle of water in hand she is squatting between the two children all smiling. I have the air brush I have the editable image system I just need the idea. Thank you for helping me.

Molly

. . . not that I need a picture any more (your description is very good) . . . but just so you know, we can show people in threads (just not in the gallery - and edible images on cakes are okay to show too) . . . that being said, your client may not wish to be shown on the internet . . . anyways, here is a thread that has photos of people . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-171831-510-days0-orderasc-.html . . . thumbs_up.gif

and for the record . . . I think the "runner's digest" is a cool idea too . . .

Molly2 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:27pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you for all your help once I fig. out what to do I'll post a picture Thank You all again

Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%