Do You Tell The Couple ....

Decorating By flayvurdfun Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 9:33pm by linda2530

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 3

how to pack and freeze their top layer? If so what do you tell them?

All we did on our cake was "froze" the cake just enough (over night) so that the frosting didn't get stuck to the freezer paper, then took it out wrapped it with freezer paper and then rewrapped it in saran wrap, and stuck it in a freezer container.... we just did it our way, and it wouldn't matter to us if it were messed up or not, but I don't want to tell my bride this weekend something that isn't good...so I turn to the knowledge of you all..... I'm off to start baking.... 12", 10", 8" and 6" and 48 cupcakes.... these ought to be a fun time decorating for Saturday morning.....

2 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 3

I tell them to do what I did to my cake only because I know it worked and my cake tasted really good after a year (I didn't get to have any at the wedding except the bite my DH smooshed into my face)
I put it in the freezer for a couple hours just in the cardboard box (cardboard tends to absorb any odors or flavors that may be in the freezer) then once the frosting was hard I took it out, wrapped the cake really well in several layers of plastic wrap and then in several layers of aluminum foil, then put it in the box and wrapped the box in plastic wrap and foil again. Might seem like too much to fuss with but the thing is going to be frozen for a YEAR!! Then we took it out the morning of our one yr. anniversary and toted it with us to a hotel room (we went back to the place we first met and got engaged at) and had some cake after dinner and it was delicious!!! No odors or funny taste or anything, tasted really good in fact...I was shocked!!

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 3

I tell them to chill it, wrap in plastic wrap and put the whole thing in a plastic bowl with a lid that is big enough to hold the cake then freeze. That way you can stack other things on top of it or if something bumps into it, it is protected and it does not get funky smells or flavors. When they are ready to thaw it out, leave it in the bowl and then lift it out by the plastic wrap.
Linda2530

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%