Baking In A Bowl

Decorating By Henna20 Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 4:50am by tomatoqeen

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 12

Is there anything special I should do when baking a cake in a bowl for a doll cake?

11 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 12

The biggest problem with doing it is baking without a core. So since it takes waaaayyyyyy longer to bake. So use a flower nail at the bottom of the bowl and lower the temp a little. I use a large glass measuring cup (for my Elmo and Doll cakes) it does work, you just need patience!

Stephanie

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 12

I did this just last week for my baby rattle cake... I just made sure I lowered the temp and greased and floured the bowl. Good luck!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 12

i completely agree-just have patience. i used 2 small mixing bowls for my pumpkin cake (well supposed to be golden apple but that's a whole other story)

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 12

I just did this last night. I made a pregnant belly cake and used my largest glass mixing bowl for the belly part. WASC took about 1 1/2 hrs to bake at 325. I thought it would never get done, but it finally did. I use plain old Pam spray and it came right out.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I just did this last night. I made a pregnant belly cake and used my largest glass mixing bowl for the belly part. WASC took about 1 1/2 hrs to bake at 325. I thought it would never get done, but it finally did. I use plain old Pam spray and it came right out.

Yes, this.

It's important, though, that you're baking in Pyrex and not normal glass like drinking glasses are made out of--normal glass would shatter. There should be an identifying stamp on the bottom of the bowl.

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 12

Question for all you CC experts!

When baking in a Pyrex dish does it have to be glass or can it be the old style Pyrex -- the colored nesting bowls that are white on the inside. I have a set of "antique" bowls my grandma had, but they have been sitting in the cabinet and I never use them. I need to do a Jack Skellington cake and the sports ball pan is too small, so I thought about the bowls -- one is rather large. What do you think?

Thanks!

tomatoqeen Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 12

bump

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 12

I have those same bowls ! They are different colors ? Mine say oven ware on the bottom and are stamped as Pyrex.I dont know if they used to come in different brands or not. Did you look for a stamp on the bottom ?

tomatoqeen Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:14am
post #10 of 12

Yeah, I looked at the two largest and all they said was Pyrex and some numbers. After reading your post, I looked at all four bowls and wouldn't ya know it, the smallest two bowls said ovenware. Of course, it just happened to be the two I didn't look at!! Thanks for your help!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:27am
post #11 of 12

tomatoqeen.. Your Welcome. Let me know how they work out to bake in !

tomatoqeen Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 4:50am
post #12 of 12

OK I baked in them. I used the largest one which probably wasn't the smartest idea. I used 2 cake mixes and baked for 1 hour and 15 minutes -- thought it was done. The cake was underdone. Not my most shining moment thumbsdown.gif . I was trying to make a large Jack Skellington head -- use 1 bowl cake for the top and 1 bowl cake for the bottom -- but it was too oval and flat (not round enough). I guess I should just stack and carve. Thanks for all your help though!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%