My Square Cakes Keep Coming Out Dry!!

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 8:06pm by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 10

Do square cakes cook differently than round cakes? I make this recipe all the time, but have been making 10" or smaller round cakes. They come out perfectly moist. I've been baking them at 350 and removing when the stick comes out with moist crumbs on it.

So a couple weekends ago I made the same recipe and baked it in a square 8" pan. I could see the sides starting to pull away from the pan, but the center was still battery. I put two pans in the oven...could that be the problem?

Then I decided to try a different recipe. While it was more moist, I could see the sides starting to pull away before the center was done. AARGH!

So I thought I would try the 1st recipe again and it was a disaster all over again. The center would not cook, but the sides were too done.

These were all cooked in 8" square pans. Do you cook differently in square pans than you do in round pans? Any reason why my squares would be dry, but my rounds are super moist?[/i]

9 replies
emrldsky Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 10

Drop the temp to 325 and cook for longer. Square cake pans have more volume, which means there is more batter in a square cake pan than a round of the same size.

If you're still having issues with overcooked edges but an uncooked middle, search the forum for heating cores. Many users here use flower nails in place of a heating core, but the idea is to help draw heat to the middle while baking.

One other thing...do you use bake even strips? If not, look into those as well.

HTH!!! icon_smile.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 10

Okay, thanks! I will try that. I assumed b/c it was only an 8" square, I didn't need the bake even strips. I will invest in those. Nothing worse than a dry cake!

When using the nails, I assume you put the round metal peice in the center on the bottom of the pan with the nail sticking up and then fill the pan?

Thanks again!

indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 10

I use baking strips on all size pans, even the 6" rounds. reduce the temp in the oven (325 in a home oven).

Trixyinaz Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks Debi. I can't wait to try this!

emrldsky Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

Okay, thanks! I will try that. I assumed b/c it was only an 8" square, I didn't need the bake even strips. I will invest in those. Nothing worse than a dry cake!

When using the nails, I assume you put the round metal peice in the center on the bottom of the pan with the nail sticking up and then fill the pan?

Thanks again!

I don't actually use the nails, but that's how people say they use them. icon_biggrin.gif Pointy-side up.

And make sure to reduce your oven temp. Man, how I wish I had known that many cakes ago. icon_biggrin.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 10

Why do recipes say to bake at 350 when they bake better at 325? I guess I'm confused by that. Also, do you know how much longer you have to bake the cake by dropping the temp to 325?

emrldsky Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

Why do recipes say to bake at 350 when they bake better at 325? I guess I'm confused by that. Also, do you know how much longer you have to bake the cake by dropping the temp to 325?

I wish I knew. icon_sad.gif And as far as how much longer, I'm not sure. My oven is crud so it varies between 5-15 minutes, depending on the size of the pan.

indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 10

I view all recipes as just a guideline, since I'm a "till it looks right" cook. Not all ovens are the same ... not all bake even ... not all get the same result at 350. Not all tastes are the same. I guarantee you, any recipe that says 1 itty bitty tsp of vanilla gets at least a Tablespoon at my house!

My mom would drive me nuts over "what the directions said"! icon_mad.gif She liked the way my cookies always come out soft and hers were always crunchy. I said, "You're baking them too long." She'd say, "But it said to bake them 11 minutes!" and I'd say, "And they're coming out overbaked, aren't they!!! how do you think you fix that?" aaaauuuugggghhhhh!!!!

Trixyinaz Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 10

icon_lol.gif You crack me up Debi! I know, I know. I'm like your mom to a certain degree. The first time I make something, I'll go by the directions and if it fails, then I make modifications. Half the time, I just guess at what needs to be done. Now that is for cooking. For some reason when it comes to baking, I freak out and follow to a T, except for extracts. icon_wink.gif I'm more like 3 tbs more than what the recipe calls for. Other than that change, I'm afraid to deviate from the recipe. You guys are giving me the courage to tweek and experiment. It's just so scary!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%