Need To Freeze Cakes But Will Be Traveling 6 Hours

Decorating By chelsie1009 Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 6:29pm by CristinaB

chelsie1009 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 3

I have never frozen a cake before but I think it would be best. I will be making four small cakes and a barn cake. I would like to make the cakes the week before and freeze them. I will be traveling 6 hours with them on Thurs., but my cakes are not needed until Sunday. What would be the best way to do this? I dont have the time to bake all of them when I get there.

2 replies
deeb173 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 3

Are you going to decorate them once you get there? If so then freeze away. I tried once to freeze an already decorated cake and it sweated like crazy and the black outlining Pooh ran. I've frozen other cakes some separate and others I've torted and filled and both have turned out fine. Some even claim they are moister if frozen first. I double wrap with plastic wrap then cover with foil. When I need them I take off the foil and let them thaw in the plastic wrap. When thaw I take off the plastic wrap and let them air out until they aren't "wet" anymore then frost as normal.

CristinaB Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 3

I made a groom's cake about a month ago and ran into the same dilemma. I had to drive it to Maryland, about 8.5 hours away. I ended up just baking the cakes, making the frosting ahead of time and taking my tools with me. I did all of the construction and decoration there. It took a huge load off my mind about how to get it there in one piece! It didn't help that it was 90 degrees the whole weekend! It never would have been okay in the car if we'd even just stopped to go to the bathroom! The cake itself was fine and all of the icing, etc. was in a cooler w/ice so the heat wasn't a problem. I'd do it this way if you can and if you have a place you can work on it once you get there. Good luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%