Cake Idea: Church Fight

Decorating By mandi1613 Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 1:13am by ShortcakesSweets

mandi1613 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 17

We are having a play at my church to raise money for the scholarship fund and the name of the play is "The Church Fight". I was asked to make the cake for the event and have hit a road block in ideas. Does anyone have any ideas. I would greatly appreciate any help i can get.

Thank You icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
cocorum21 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 17

Well when I read the title I had a picture in my head with a bunch of old "church ladies" in big hats with "pocket books" fighting in the church icon_lol.gif I'm sure that wasn't much help huh? icon_razz.gif

Tweedie Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 17

What is the play it literally people in church fighting or something else? Knowing some details about the play would help with ideas.

mandi1613 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 17

i'm not quite sure. just have the title, but i am in the process of trying to find out what exactly the play is about.

tatetart Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 17

Sadly, my first thought was a church building split down the middle and falling apart with the inscription

A house divided against itself cannot stand...

Maybe you want a more fun theme than that!

ShortcakesSweets Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 17

The only thing I could find is that it is a comedy by Gaines-Shelton. It is a play that pokes fun at the follies of the Church. What I was reading also said it is a play for and about black people. I don't have any cake ideas, just thought that information might help.

chutzpah Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:00am
post #7 of 17

I imagined dressed up churchladies whomping on each other with oversized bibles.

Chef_Stef Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:05am
post #8 of 17

I think you might need to get more info from the church about exactly what they have in mind, unless they just want a sheet cake with the name of the scholarship fund on it...

stephaniescakenj Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #9 of 17

Yea, I'm envisioning little old church ladies with their hats and hand bags, bibles raised and hankerchiefs in the other hand, priest/pastor in the corner praying, maybe the husbands watching from the side lines. Ooooh... little choir kids singing. that would be funny. what could you possibly fight about at church though ?!?

Ruth0209 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:32am
post #10 of 17

What could you fight about in church!? Besides the fundamental meaning of life and all of that, maybe a seat in the front pew? Or sharing hymnals? Or who gets the most time with the pastor? Who gets the solo in the choir? Who knows?

Now, nobody flame me. I'm just being funny and I'm in no mood for another cake fight after that "cat ate my cake" thread!!

mandi1613 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:52am
post #11 of 17

I just found out that the play is about bickering in the church. But it is a comedy.

marknelliesmum Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:12am
post #12 of 17

what could you possibly fight about at church though ?!?

At my church there are lots of little old ladies ( it's always little old ladies for some reason eh? icon_lol.gif ) who look so pious and frail but when it comes to communion time they are like Olympic athletes careering down the aisle to claim the ultimate prize of being first in the queue for communion icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif they then meekly go back to their seats like butter wouldn't melt icon_eek.gif

Anyway... this reminded me about my aunt's wedding where my cousin and I were flower girls. Apparently ( i have no recollection coz I was 3 or 4yrs) as we walked behind the blushing bride we were punching lumps out of each other the whole way down the aisle! The bride was blissfully unaware! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Flower arranging causes monumental bickering at my mums friend's church - they are forever trying to get one over on each other...Christ at their centre? i think not icon_surprised.gif

julzs71 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:01pm
post #13 of 17

How about 2 old ladies each taking an arm of the pastor and pulling him?

costumeczar Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:27pm
post #14 of 17

You should talk to the person in charge of the event and ask them what would be appropriate...

Believe me, there's plenty of fighting and backbiting that goes on in church. The story of the old ladies knocking each other out to be first at communion is typical, but if you've ever spent any time working on the "business" end of any church, you won't have any illusions about there not being fighting behind the scenes! Churches are THE most political places...

julzs71 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:23pm
post #15 of 17

Just thought of another one. What if you had the biggest bible contest on the cake.

rhondab Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:53pm
post #16 of 17

Can you get a copy of the script? Usually there is a design there, or a suggestion for the play programs that you could copy. Otherwise, how about a replica of the sign outside your church with the play name displayed?

ShortcakesSweets Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:13am
post #17 of 17
Originally Posted by rhondab

how about a replica of the sign outside your church with the play name displayed?

Thats a cool idea. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%