Cake Pricing Help?

Decorating By iluvjay829 Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 7:45pm by caccy

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 9

I need some pricing help. I have a request for a square wedding cake to serve 150. It is a pretty simple design, each layer covered in fondant with a simple scroll design and a satin ribbon border on each layer. My question is...what sizes do I need and how much do I charge? Thanks!

8 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 9

A 8, 10 & 12in will serve 154, which is about as close as I can get it. If you do a free anniversary tier for the couple then you can put a 6in on top of that. I charge a minimum of $5 per serving for fondant, so I would charge $750.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 9

My fondant is $3.50 per serving, plus an equipment charge and a delivery charge. I'd be arounf $609.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 9

I'd charge $5.50/serving for fondant.

An 8-10-12 will not serve 154 though.. even Wilton says 118.. I'd call it 105.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I'd charge $5.50/serving for fondant.

An 8-10-12 will not serve 154 though.. even Wilton says 118.. I'd call it 105.

I agree for round cakes, but the OP stated square tiers, and they will definitely serve 154 if you do the math on square tiers!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 9

Well duh then right? icon_lol.gif

*note to self.. make sure you read CAREFULLY*

Carry on.. pay no attention to the tired momma behind the curtain.. icon_wink.gif

jpcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpcs Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 9

I think you really need to research your local area on pricing. The easiest thing is to go online, such as Google, and search your area for cake decorators. It's amazing to me how many people have their prices online. That will give you an idea how much people are willing to pay in your area. Also, depending on the details and experience you have will determine the cost. My husband always makes a point to ask me how much time I spent on a cake and then he divides that out to an hourly rate. If you spent three days making a cake, make it worth your time.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 9

This is a little off track form the OP, but I am confused on some pricing issues. I understand the whole price per serving, but does that stay the same no matter the design? If not then how do you determine what to charge for certain details and extra supplies for those details (etc..fondant).

Any advice would be great.

caccy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caccy Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 9

Go through the order of making your cake and write down the price of everything you need to make it, including the small things required to use your equipment like a little icing sugar. The cost of your tools needed and any new ones for the specific design. Next take into account a trip to your cake supplier or delivery charge of goods, box, board and delivery which can be pricey. Next take into account the cost of baking, refrigeration, lighting etc. then look at the price you have. Now take into consideration the time it takes to make the cake, if this is your business, this is your hard work so be realistic. This is the price you charge....what it cost to produce your masterpiece.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%