How Do You Do It? I'm Exhausted....

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm by Julisa

tracycakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 8

Last week was my busiest cake week in a looooonnnnnggggg time. I work full time and cakes are a hobby. So, on Monday night I had Wilton fondant class, on Wed. I brought a cake to work for a co-workers birthday, on Saturday, I made and decorated 106 cupcakes to take to church for a Kidz Fair and Sunday, I made a cake and covered in fondant for my class tonight. (Final class!! Woo hoo!)

So, my house is a wreck (except the kitchen), my laundry is piled up, I haven't cooked dinner all week, I haven't exercised, I'm exhausted and my back hurts from bending over and decorating cupcakes. To all of you who work full-time and do cakes on the side, I don't know how you do it. I did it years ago and got burnt out and I remember why now. Kudos to you guys and I'm taking a break. This is hard on an old woman.

7 replies
Pookie59 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 8

I know, I know. Cakes are just a sideline for me too. I spent all day Saturday making royal icing flowers just so I would have some on hand for some upcoming cakes. Luckily my husband was working a double shift that day so I felt free to indulge myself. I didn't get around to cleaning house till dinner time and didn't get around to cooking dinner until about 8:30. Honestly, I don't know how I keep getting suckered back into this cake thing. I don't "advertise" and I'm not particularly good with the decorating thing (but learning), but people are willing to pay for a good homemade cake - those junky grocery store things just don't satisfy.

tracycakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 8

My hubby is super supportive and offers to go get anything I need and makes sure we don't make any other plans. He doesn't complain about sandwiches for dinner or a messy house. I made my final cake for class last night and didn't plan to do any more.

Then, one super-sweet young man that I work with hinted that his birthday is next week. I made him a cake last year and he was so excited and since I feel like a mom to him, yeah, I'll bring him a cake. One of our guards has seen the cakes I've been bringing in and this morning, she asked me if I ever take any orders, that she would love to have a carrot cake. She's never even tasted one of them, only seen me carrying them. icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif

I'm also trying to get started on my cakes of OSSAS. I really enjoy doing this but I'm not ready, on several levels, to think about starting a business but it's really hard to find a balance and have a life. KUDOS to all of you who work, do this on the side, have kids, an unsupportive hubby, etc. thumbs_up.gif You amaze me!

missmeg Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 8

I hear ya. I also work FT and do this as a paid hobby. My busiest recent period was graduation time back in June. Four massive cakes in 3 weekends icon_surprised.gif.

Doing housework isn't an issue...I never do it anyways icon_lol.gif. Well, not exactly true. Dh isn't always the most supportive of guys, but he likes knowing that I spend less out of the house budget when I have lots of cakes to do.

We have alot of "standard" meals when I'm doing serious caking. Spaghetti is frequent. So is grilled steak with baked potatos. Dh handles laundry duty with the promise from me that I do a top-to-bottom scrubbing of the kitchen when I'm done.

marybible Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 8

yep me too. Im a full time nurse and do cakes on the side. I have had a pretty busy week myself. It does get STRESSFUL. But I have to say. I love the "rush" I get when someone sees their cake and I get a big o'l smile from them. And of course I have a very supportive husband!!

AmyGonzalez Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, I can definitly agree with you! I work full time and do cakes every weekend, up until tomorrow! icon_biggrin.gif WooHoo! icon_biggrin.gif I'm taking a month off!!!!!!!! I am so excited! I had intended to take July off too, but of course it did not work out. I have turned down so many orders, I feel sad, but happy at the same time! icon_lol.gif I need a major break. I'm a nurse, work 12 hrs a day Mon-Thur. That's a killer in itself, I don't know how I've done it this long. I am so looking foward to my cake vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tootall Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 8

I'll second, third, whatever... I don't know how you do it, either! icon_lol.gif I work FT, leaving the house at 6:30 and getting home close to 6, and this week, I've been working on my mom's b-day cake. Hubby tells me last night, cause I'm all pooped out and about to go bake a cake: "Why don't you just quite making cakes? it's sooo much work!" icon_eek.gif Quit making cakes?! Then what would I do???? icon_lol.gif I need a creative outlet!!! He's such a good hubby, though *snuggles* I'll forgive him the blasphemy... this time... icon_evil.gif

icon_lol.gif

Julisa Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 8

Kudos to you who still feed your family when doing cakes. My daughter usually stays with my Mom and my poor hubby is SOL. All I offer him is the scraps that I have levled off and MAYBE some icing.

My busy month was end of May early June. I had surgery to remove a lump from under my arm/breast earlier this mont. So I have had a break. I am unable to clean, so I have sat back and enjoyed watchim my nails grow for the first time in two years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%