Does This Sound Too Snotty?

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm by AmyGonzalez

MikeRowesHunny Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 17

Long story short, I have been contracted to make a Fairytale Castle wedding cake for a Dutch couple in December. They signed their contract but had changed the delivery time from before 3.30pm, to 8pm because that's when they are having dinner and the cake will be the dessert - and to talk to thier wedding planner about it. Guests will start arriving at the venue at 3.30pm for a cocktail & nibbles reception before dinner. Cake will be all fondant and gumpaste, no perishable fillings. The traditional Dutch wedding cake is a fresh cream and fruit affair FYI.

Here's what I've written to them:

Just a quick note to say thank you for the contract and the deposit, both received safely!

I saw what you changed on the contract, so I wanted to just say a few words about it. Your wedding cake should be the centrepiece of your reception, and therefore be on display for as long as possible. The kind of cake you are having could sit for a few days at room temperature, so a few hours will do it no harm whatsoever - I am wondering if you have been told differently as traditional Dutch style wedding cakes do have to be refridgerated until shortly before serving, yours doesn't (in fact putting it in a fridge will ruin it!). I have many arguments with venue owners about this because they have no idea how to deal with my style of cakes, only Dutch ones! I had already spoken to Leny about this and told her that the cake should really be set up before the guests arrive, so before 15:30. This way you will get maximum value from the cake as people will have lots of time to look at and admire it. If you want to leave the delivery until later in the evening, then that's fine, but if it were my wedding, I would rather get the most 'bang for my buck' if I could!

It's up to you both what you want to do, just let me know.


THis cake isn't cheap and it seems such a waste to have it there for an hour or so before it gets hacked to pieces! Does the above sound too snotty, if so, what would you say instead?

TIA

16 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 17

IMHO this is nowhere near being snotty. Your giving them some good information to help them make their decision. I think you should send it as is.

I went to a wedding this past weekend and the cake was stunning; but no one saw it until it was brought out to be cut (around 10:30 PM). Such a shame as it was so fitting to their decor - too bad they didn't have you consulting them on the cake.

sweetcakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 17

your letter is good, not snotty at all. and i agree, they need to have this on show as long as possible.

indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 17

It's a well written letter ... informative with good information and not condenscending at all. Good job!

Mike1394 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 17

The kind of cake you are having could sit for a few days at room temperature, so a few hours will do it no harm whatsoever -

I would change that sentence. It just seems the whole it could sit for days just doesn't strike right.

Maybe something referring back to the traditional dutch cakes being so perishable.

Not snotty at all though.

Mike

sarahnichole975 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 17

I agree, not snotty. Not to mention I wouldn't want my wedding cake delivered DURING my reception.

taxnerd Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:31am
post #7 of 17

I think your explanation sounds excellent. I had a similar discussion with an events coordinator a few weeks ago. They thought the cake was more perishable than it actually is.

indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:35am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxnerd

I think your explanation sounds excellent. I had a similar discussion with an events coordinator a few weeks ago. They thought the cake was more perishable than it actually is.




Cake civilians! I recall a thread in which a CC'er shared the story of a lady who stared at the birthday cake and said she wouldn't eat any of it because she just KNEW it was "....more than 4 hours old!" icon_eek.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:03pm
post #9 of 17

[quote="indydebi
Cake civilians! I recall a thread in which a CC'er shared the story of a lady who stared at the birthday cake and said she wouldn't eat any of it because she just KNEW it was "....more than 4 hours old!" icon_eek.gif[/quote]

Incredible!

orianadalyyorkshire8656 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:20am
post #10 of 17

How is it possible to be snotty u are just helping them!! They should be thanking u for ur services!!!

shisharka Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:53am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

The kind of cake you are having could sit for a few days at room temperature, so a few hours will do it no harm whatsoever




The letter is very well written, except for the quoted line above... If I had ordered a cake, and got a note stating that it can sit for days, to me â as a customer - it would mean just one thing: trans fats, chemicals, preservatives = cancel order ASAP!!! ... Regardless that that may not actually be the case at all, and that I myself told someone on this forum that a SMBC and ganache leftover cake was perfectly fine after being out of the fridge for almost 3 days⦠Maybe re-word to just state it is not as perishable as the Dutch cakes and fondant will keep it fresh while guests enjoy the beauty of it.

kdbobo Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 17

I agree with everyone else--the spirit of the email isn't snotty, but perhaps a couple of things could be reworded for maximum effectiveness? Like this:

Quote:
Quote:

Your wedding cake should be the centrepiece of your reception, and therefore be on display for as long as possible. The kind of cake you are having could sit for a few days at room temperature, so a few hours will do it no harm whatsoever - I am wondering if you have been told differently as traditional Dutch style wedding cakes do have to be refridgerated until shortly before serving, yours doesn't (in fact putting it in a fridge will ruin it!). I have many arguments with venue owners about this because they have no idea how to deal with my style of cakes, only Dutch ones!




I would rework this to focus on the positive message (fondant cake does not need ot be hidden away in fridge), and keep my arguments with venue owners out of it (b/c it's kinda TMI).

Maybe something like: "The beauty of the kind of cake you are having is that, unlike traditional Dutch-style wedding cakes, it does not require constant refrigeration (in fact, putting it in a fridge will ruin it!). A fondant covered cake can really be the centerpiece of a reception.

Therefore, if you'd like, we can still set up the cake at the original time, so that your guests will all have a chance to see your design..."

Kristina
writing instructor and editor, who is not supposed to be doing this kind of stuff this summer, and who is slowly backing away from the keyboard now icon_biggrin.gif

[/quote]

xstitcher Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:33am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbobo

I agree with everyone else--the spirit of the email isn't snotty, but perhaps a couple of things could be reworded for maximum effectiveness? Like this:

Quote:
Quote:

Your wedding cake should be the centrepiece of your reception, and therefore be on display for as long as possible. The kind of cake you are having could sit for a few days at room temperature, so a few hours will do it no harm whatsoever - I am wondering if you have been told differently as traditional Dutch style wedding cakes do have to be refridgerated until shortly before serving, yours doesn't (in fact putting it in a fridge will ruin it!). I have many arguments with venue owners about this because they have no idea how to deal with my style of cakes, only Dutch ones!



I would rework this to focus on the positive message (fondant cake does not need ot be hidden away in fridge), and keep my arguments with venue owners out of it (b/c it's kinda TMI).

Maybe something like: "The beauty of the kind of cake you are having is that, unlike traditional Dutch-style wedding cakes, it does not require constant refrigeration (in fact, putting it in a fridge will ruin it!). A fondant covered cake can really be the centerpiece of a reception.

Therefore, if you'd like, we can still set up the cake at the original time, so that your guests will all have a chance to see your design..."

Kristina
writing instructor and editor, who is not supposed to be doing this kind of stuff this summer, and who is slowly backing away from the keyboard now icon_biggrin.gif


[/quote]


I think that is a great way to word the email Kristina! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cupsncakes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:53pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxnerd

I think your explanation sounds excellent. I had a similar discussion with an events coordinator a few weeks ago. They thought the cake was more perishable than it actually is.



Cake civilians! I recall a thread in which a CC'er shared the story of a lady who stared at the birthday cake and said she wouldn't eat any of it because she just KNEW it was "....more than 4 hours old!" icon_eek.gif




So if it takes me 6 hours to decorate a cake does that mean the cake is already spoiled? icon_confused.gif How long would this person think that the cakes in the store sit on the shelves?

MikeRowesHunny Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:48pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks for all your suggestions, unfortunately I had sent it long before the last few suggestions! I got a reply - talk to the wedding planner (who is about as useful as a f*rt in the wind). I'll talk to her again nearer the time (it's not until December), right now I have enough on my plate without worrying about those who don't want to listen to sense!

Jasmine33 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:03pm
post #16 of 17

I think the letter was great and now I want to see the cake when it is finished!

AmyGonzalez Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #17 of 17

Your reply was perfectly fine. The cake is one of the most important parts of the reception, maybe they don't know that. icon_confused.gif If it were my cake I would definitly want it there ahead of time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%