Kitchen Remodeling?

Lounge By KeltoKel Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 11:40am by ElectricCook

KeltoKel Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 13

Well, after being in our home for 4 years, I can no longer stand our kitchen. I am not kidding when I say that we have about 3 ft. of counter space - total. That isn't in one area either - we have a small space on each side of the sink and that is it.

To top it off, we don't have a dishwasher. Goodness, you would think our house is ancient, which it isn't. The previous owners took great care of our house, but they never updated the kitchen. It is time!

It isn't that our kitchen is all that small, it is just planned very poorly.

So, we are getting a quote from Sears this week and we also plan to call Home Depot or Lowes. I hope to also get a quote from a local (private) company.

Anyone remodel their kitchen on a budget? We are hoping we don't have to go over $10,000. We want new cabinets and counters. A little bit of rearranging is necessary for more counter space, but nothing major will have to be done. Am I a fool to think I can do this for $10,000 or less? We are keeping our old appliances but will be getting a dishwasher. No islands, no new lighting, no gigantic expenses, just the basics.

Any helpful advice is welcome!

12 replies
mkerton Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 13

I think its amazing that you are getting to remodel your kitchen, I WOULD LOVE to remodel mine (there is only so much you can do to improve 1970's cabinets! I have big plans so that when I can do it I will know what I want (undermounted sink and upgraded counter tops are at the top of the list)! You will have to share before and after pics when you get it done!

tracycakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 13

I haven't remodeled a kitchen yet, just 2 bathrooms. We did all of the work ourselves on both of them except in 1, we hired an electrician and they other, we needed a plumber. The bathrooms were completely gutted but they were small bathrooms and they cost $5000 in parts alone and would have been $10,000 if we had hired it done.

The cost depends on the size of your kitchen and cabinets are the most expensive part if a kithen remodel. I see on television (HGTV) where they will remodel a kitchen for $5000 or $10,000 and I don't know how they do it.

We've got the 70's cabinets also and are planning a kitchen remodel also but we are doing major work. I really dread it because it's going to be big and expensive icon_cry.gif but it really needs to be done.

Make sure you send us pics! thumbs_up.gif

rcs Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 13

I'm in the middle of cleaning out my cabinets now so we can begin to remodel our kitchen. My husband bought white cabinets, which I wasn't entirely happy with. He works at Lowes part time and would pick them up very reasonably when they were marked down for various reasons. However, recently, our Lowes decided to redo their kitchen cabinet area and were selling all of the kitchen displays! We were able to purchase one of the largest displays for about 80% off of the original price. We worked with the kitchen planner at Lowes and only have to purchase an additional 4 cabinets! It came with a Corian countertop and sink which we are trying to find someone to add on an additional piece to so we'll be able to use it. The neat thing is, these cabinets already have alot of the extra's in them, like slide out trash cans, cutlery trays, etc.
Sometimes, you can come across great deals. We didn't buy the display when they first started marking them down. It was still too expensive. They continued marking them down until they sold because they had to get rid of them. My husband did have to dismantle the cabinets at the store and transport them.
Now, I have alot of new white kitchen cabinets to get rid of, but I'll be getting Maple cabinets instead! Be patient, shop around and ask questions. Sometimes, the home improvement stores have mark downs and sometimes they can give you a better price on those items. Custom cabinet stores sometimes have a reduced priced area.
My biggest assest is my husband! He likes to shop!

KeltoKel Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 13

Wow, great advice. I will definitely show pics when we get it done, but that could be many months away yet.

I am pretty clueless when it comes to this. We don't have to gut anything, just remove old cabinets and put new ones in - slightly different rearrangement. We remodeled our downstairs bathroom ourselves so we are pretty handy. I will definitely look around for deals. Thanks again!

mkerton Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 13

I agree that you can get some great deals at Lowe's we have a friend who goes to all the local Lowe's a few times a month just to look at the clearance and scratch and dent stuff in every department, I just bought a 5 foot french door for my master bedroom (to replace an old ugly sliding glass door) for $50 with the little blinds built inside the glass panes!!! Anyway my cousin found an awesome front door for her house super cheap that way too!

funcakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:39am
post #7 of 13

I was able to get all new cabinets because my husband could trade work with the cabinet guy. My neighbor, who has a similar house just remodeled her kitchen. After lots of looking and quotes from Home Depot, Loews and private places she decided to go with a company that refaces cabinets. They changed all the doors, made a new corner piece to match. I was a little wary about this idea, but it came out beautiful and much, much cheaper that the cheapest cabinets she could have from the other places. It of course would depend on the cabinets you have now. Hers were solid, sturdy and ugly. If your cabinets are not sturdy you may not be able to do this.
Another place with very reasonably priced and good service is IKEA, I bought all my storage units and cabinets for my laundry room from them. I love that store.

taxnerd Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:48am
post #8 of 13

It depends what part of the country you're in and how big your kitchen is, but we remodeled our kitchen about 3 years ago. We have a small ranch house with an even smaller kitchen. Our cost didn't include any appliances and it was around $13,000. However, I did insist on Corian countertops and ceramic tile backsplash. I could have done it for around $9,000 if I had gone with Formica. Granite or marble would have costed more; good thing I don't like granite.

We actually had it done by a custom cabinetry place in our area, so all the plumbing and electrical were also included. Since you're installing a new dishwasher, you'll need at least some plumbing and electrical work. The custom places are often cheaper than the chain stores because they're used to building to fit your area. If a chain store runs into an area that they don't have a standard piece of cabinetry to fit, they end up having to order custom items which usually costs alot more than if you'd just gone with a custom kitchen company. Also watch out for bids from chain stores that do not include electrical and plumbing work and make you go find your own electrician or plumber.

peg818 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:37am
post #9 of 13

it really depends on what you want and if you are able to do alot of the work yourself. We started with just going to do some cabinets but after being in my uncompleted kitchen for 10 years, i said no we needed to do it right cause i never wanted to rip it out again, We of course went right down to the rafters and seeing as it was major work had to hirer out much of the work. We did do corian counter tops and solid wood cabinets then new flooring, new lighting, and of course new appliances. It was well over $20,000, but then again it was over five for the appliances alone.

Now i have a kitchen that i love and don't plan to ever redo again. We have been in our home for close to 20 years and never got to finish the kitchen properly cause we ran out of money when we were young and just ended up living with it. We of course will probably live in this house for another 20 years so thats money well spent. I think if we were to be moving on right away we would not have gone all out on the redo.

foxymomma521 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:38am
post #10 of 13

We just did our kitchen. We purchased the oak cabinets at an aution for 3k, and we got 18ft of granite for $600... the installation on the granite was $900. My father did most of the work, and we paid his friend $750 to help him for 4 days... We aren't done yet, but with a new oven, and new lighting it'll be about $8,000. What state are you in? I know the auction we go to travels through Ohio and Pa too...

foxymomma521 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:45am
post #11 of 13

I wanted to add that I buy coupons for Lowes on ebay that take 10% off your order. It's usually only a couple bucks and well worth it icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:39am
post #12 of 13

If your doing the work yourself 10,000 is a good # depending on how many cabinets you put in.

Mike

ElectricCook Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:40am
post #13 of 13

If you don't install it yourself it will be pretty pricey. Labor can be half to the full price of your cabinets. Go to the library and Barnes and Noble and read as many books as you can and take notes.

I redid my kitchen myself 2 yrs ago (yes I am a woman and an electrician). I have been on enough projects in 20 yrs to know what I did and did not want. Also I am a stickler for things being done right. If I had someone come into my home and did a half way job I would be angry because I could probably do it myself.

One thing not to do yourself, taping that is an art and you won't be able to telll if you made a mistake until it is dried. Tile work is ok if you kow how. Plumbing and electrical check with your building dept and see if any neccessary permits are required. You may be able to do it yourself. You may need to get an CO when you sell your home. Go to the websit and check.

That's all can think of for now. I am off to camp. I will check back later.

Good luck and take your time deciding unless a great deal comes your way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%