Cupcake Bouquet Disaster

Baking By rudoo Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 1:26am by Michelle104

rudoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudoo Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 16

Well, I tried a cupcake bouquet and it was a disaster icon_sad.gif I thought I had it all planned out. So, tell me what went wrong.....I used craft picks instead of toothpicks to give better support, before I got first row done on the bottom, they started breaking off icon_cry.gif , cupcakes also started separating from liners. What went wrong? icon_confused.gif Jonna

15 replies
Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 16

i don;t know what went wrong, but i can tell you what i do. I make them all the time and (knock on wood) never had a problem.
I do not grease the liners. let the cupcakes cool completely, i always decorate the next day. I do all the cupcakes then i take kabob skewers and dip the tps in icing. then put the sticks in the pot with styrofoam block, then i add the cupcakes. The trick is to angle the cupcakes so when all the cakes are in you only see flowers not cupcakes.
i have found that dipping the skewers in icing helps them from falling.
good luck.

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 16

Im thinking that the icing was to heavy. Thats what happen to me. I also let the icing crust before I put them on the tooth pick. .. Dont let it defeat you. Show that darn buttercream, whos the boss.. thumbs_up.gif

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 16

I have never made a cupcake bouquet because of what happened to rudoo.
I am afraid on the tender cake tumbling onto the table. Is there a "how to" somewhere?
I did a search and came up with nothing. I thought there was one out there but maybe it died in the "crash".

Any help?

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 16

I also had a similar problem when I made one last week. Some of the cupcakes completely fell off out of the wrappers which I did not grease. The cupcakes did not want to stay on the toothpicks at all, I had to make some royal icing and put a dab on the bottoms of each cupcake and then place ont he toothpicks. Then once I got them all around I had to tie a string around the whole row so that it could dry and stay on. After the rows dried I cut the string and then iced them. Some still were trying to fall off, but some how it managed to hold long enough to be given.
I also tried to look for more specific directions but were unable to find them.

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 16

one of the biggest lessons I learned is that you can't use 'fresh' cupcakes..... you have to wait at least 24 hours to let them settle before you try to put them on the styrofoam. Also, don't ice until you have them already placed, then ice them all. I use a dap of either royal icing or piping gel on the bottom of the liners as well as skewers to help them stick.

Good luck and don't give up!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 16

I've been wanting to make one, but can not figure out how to do that. Do you put the cupcake through the skewer? Like stick the skewer into the bottom of the cupcake?

Christy718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy718 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 16

I use toothpicks for my bouquets and have not had a problem so far. I use 3 for each cupcake and angle them upwards. Also I icing my cupcakes before I put them on the styrofoam. I have had some trouble with the paper coming lose, but have found the the less I can handle them the better they do. Hope this helps!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 16

Here are a few of the things I do when I make cupcake bouquets. First of all I use a sturdy cake, 99% of the time I'll use an extender recipe (see recipe section here on CC) Then I remove them from the pan as soon as the come out of the oven, allow them to cool completley on a wire rack then put them into a large plastic container and freeze them for at least 24 hours.

When you insert the toothpics into the styrofoam you have to think "up" Don't put them in straight out or with the least amount of downward slant. I put mine in pointing up, and usually 3 of them per cupcake, spaced out like a triangle. Added emphasis: no matter how you want the cupcake to face, put those toothpics pointing UP! They don't have to be stabbed in the bottom, you can catch them on the side with one of the pics with no problem.

I put all the cupcakes on UN-frosted--and I'm not real gentle about it, I want them to be on those toothpics as deeply as they can--I usually do it with a quick push.

THEN....I pipe on the frosting and any leaves I might want to add.

~~The only reason I can think of that would cause the cupcake paper to seperate from the cake is if you allowed them to cool in the cupcake pan. A lot of moisture will form and loosen the paper if you allow them to cool that way.

I hope this helps!

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 16

advice from some pros....can't beat it. Thanks from me. I will try it soon!

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:54pm
post #11 of 16

There used to be a GREAT tutorial on the cupcake bouquet, but for some reason or another it was taken down. So sad! It would be wonderful <cough, cough> if someone would post another!

I am terrible at making these... and have given up a time or two, but all of your tips make it sound sooo easy! I have got to try again! I think my biggest problem is that the cake is too soft. I love the idea of freezing them overnight and then adding them. Thanks for your suggestions!!

cakediva01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva01 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 16

I'm with Chefperl. I use kabob skewers rather than toothpicks. I've done bouquets a couple of ways with great success. I've used iced cupcakes and I've also used my rosebud pan and made strawberry rosebuds, put cupcake wrappers on the back of them after they've cooled completed and before attaching them (so as not to directly touch the styrofoam) and then put the flowers in around them. I actually had someone chasing me around a bridal shower wanting to know why I didn't bring cake. They didn't realize that the cake was in the flower arrangement. Keep trying.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #13 of 16

I havent had to do one in a long while (miss them actually), but I used the floral card picks in the same manner as KansasLaura. I have them sticking upwards. I also freeze my cuppies and decorate after haveing them placed on the picks. This seemed to help me allot.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm
post #14 of 16

Oh how I would love to see the tutorial on the cupcakes. It would really help..

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:33pm
post #15 of 16

I tried these one day just to see if I could. Mine was a disaster as well. I baked the cupcakes a few days before and froze them. I let them thaw completely. I used a dense recipe. I tried toothpicks at first, which didn't work (the liners tore & cc fell off). Then tried skewers with the same results. I don't see how you could put the cc on first then ice them unless you are making a simple swirl. The one I wanted to make was the one resembling a flower & I have to turn the cc to add the petals.
I saw in one post that one solution was to use plastic soufflé cups. They suggested to glue the cups on the styrofoam then place the cc on site. I have yet found any though.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:26am
post #16 of 16

I could be wrong but I think the lady that had the tutorial on had to remove it as per her lawyer. She's in the process of getting a patent on a carrier or a holder or something like that. I think I vaguely remember reading that.... icon_confused.gif Although, I do sometimes dream things and then days later remember them as reality!!! icon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%