"you Don't Use That Stuff That You'd Put On A 5Th Grade

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm by missmeg

mom2spunkynbug Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:57am
post #1 of 5

That is what someone said to me recently...

Let me tell you the whole story. I was invited to a "mock wedding" at a local (upscale) hotel. They want me to be one of their bakers that they refer people to! While talking on the phone with the lady I told her my price for buttercream covered cakes is $3.50/serving. Then she says "Is it buttercream or bettercreme? I always get those two mixed up. One is that kind of frosting that you'd put on a 5th grader's cupcake - the other one is nicer."

Ok, I don't even know what bettercreme is. I think that's what they use at the local grocery store cakes/cupcakes. But how do I know which one she prefers?! Isn't it really up to the individual ordering on what they prefer? What if what she's thinking of is buttercream?

4 replies
kansaswolf Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:07am
post #2 of 5

I *BELIEVE* bettercreme is more of a whipped cream flavor/texture. Lighter and fluffier than buttercream. I'd just describe both and ask her what she means. Not to mention that buttercream is kind of a STAPLE for wedding cakes... And yeah, it should be up to the individual ORDERING, but some people will just be pains to work with. Just tell her what you DO, and see what they have to say!

fondantfrenzy Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:12am
post #3 of 5

It's also a non dairy whipped topping, so if someone wants a non dairy or whipped topping icing this can be used i suppose.

cakedout Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 5

regardless of what the difference in the icings is....this woman doesn't sound very professional, or knowledgeable about the wedding industry that she is supposed to be representing!

sounds like YOU will need to be the 'professional' one! thumbs_up.gif

good luck!

missmeg Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 5

I'd tell that person that "bettercreme" is a brand-name of commercially available non-dairy topping http://www.richs.com/mx_e/toppings/better.html

"Buttercream" is your homemade icing recipe (be it American, IMBC, SMBC or other).

I personally don't like the taste of bettercream. I like my scratch bc better icon_smile.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%