How Do You Make Paint Out Of Luster Dust????

Decorating By sandtzmom75 Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm by Ironbaker

sandtzmom75 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:47am
post #1 of 6

I have tried vodka and vanilla extract and I always end up dry brushing my fondant with the luster dust. How do get that really good paint from that stuff like you see on the cake shows? Or can you buy it somewhere premade?? I know you can buy gold and silver spray paint but I want to be able to use a brush with it and have it look all shiny and metallic.. Thanks thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
sweetflowers Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:54am
post #2 of 6

I don't use Vanilla extract, the alcohol content isn't high enough. I use vodka, but not too much to get good coverage. Alot of the decoartors on food network use an airbrush. But I've seen Colette Peters do it and she uses lemon extract.

mjballinger Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:01am
post #3 of 6

I think a lot of people use lemon extract. I use almond extract, because I love the way it smells!

mjballinger Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:01am
post #4 of 6

I think a lot of people use lemon extract. I use almond extract, because I love the way it smells!

Chef_Stef Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 6

I've tried vanilla, vodka, and lemon extract, and I always go back to the lemon extract. The vanilla is too streaky, and vodka makes the cake too wet because the alcohol content is too low. Lemon extract has an "oil"-ness about it that just makes a very nice paint texture.

I've heard of people using Everclear too, but it's hard to find.

Ironbaker Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 6

Everclear or lemon extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%