Sugar Cookie Flavors

Baking By Tashablueyes Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 10:08pm by Momkiksbutt

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:18am
post #1 of 52

So do any of you offer more than one flavor of iced and decorated sugar cookies? I have been thinking of maybe offering these:

1. Classic buttery sugar cookie
2. Lemon
3. Orange vanilla creamsicle
4. Almond
5. Chocolate
6. Peanut Butter
7. Key lime

What do you think? Do they sound good? Do you think some will work better than others? Also, do/would you charge more for the specially flavored "gourmet" cookies? How would you factor that in?

Thanks!

51 replies
JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:18am
post #2 of 52

I'd love to hear what more folks do with flavors!!!

what about gingerbread? I love gingerbread.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #3 of 52

I'm about to pass on a family recipe that no one has had but me since my grandmother passed away 6 years ago....use it in the fun spirit that we all loved!!

Grandma Esplins Pastel Cookies

1 large package of your favorite flavor Jello
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 2/3 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Cup Shortening
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs

Cream together the shortening, jello powder, and sugar, until fluffy. Add in baking soda, salt and eggs. Mix until creamy and smooth. Add in the flour.

Cover and let chill for about an hour.

Roll out and cut into your favorite shapes, and place on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, or until edges are just turning brown.

You can also bake them using this method(the way grandma did): roll a small ball in your hands and place on the cookie sheet. Dip a flat bottomed glass into sugar and then press the cookie to about 1/4 inch thick and bake.

I grew up eating these deliectable treats and now my kids love them too. I make them every year for the holidays too. People who have had them beg me for more.

I hope you enjoy them too.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:58am
post #4 of 52

Momkiksbutt, I love your name. lol. And thanks for the recipe. I'm always trying to treat recipes & my dh is about to ban me b/c "I'm making him fat".

As for flavors, I would go w/ basic. When I finally get my business underway I'm going to offer a chocolate, my recipe (I use coconut extract) & maybe a lemon or an almond (b/c people tend to love almond). But I cover w/ RBC & it's hard to get a complimentary flavor of cookie & RBC.

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 52

Thanks momkiksbutt! I will definitely be trying these this week, I'm all for a great sugar cookie made with shortening (so I'm cheap, alright?)

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 52

Strawberry, Raspberry & Lemon are the ones I use most. Lemon is the most requested. icon_smile.gif

cajundecoration Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cajundecoration Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 52

Does anyone have a favorite recipe that they wouldn't consider doing away with? I'd like to try a sure-fire recipe!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:40am
post #8 of 52

Refer to my above post.

If you mess these up you can cook...

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #9 of 52

Momkiksbutt..i love trying new recipes and those cookies sound sooo good..I think im going to give them a try this weekend...thanks for sharing your grandmoms recipe with us...

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #10 of 52

I do vanilla, almond, lemon, and coconut. I find that almond (my fav) and the coconut are my most popular. Right now i am trying to perfect a banana flavored cookie.

sunnigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnigirl Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:00pm
post #11 of 52

I decided this summer to experiment with a few flavors. I made my signature cookie - maple ( I know it doesn't sound that good but everyone loves it- they say"what is that flavor" ) (2 tsp for NFSC)
Then I made a batch of cookies with creme bouquet and a batch with Princess Cake and Cookie emulsion. (2 tsp)
On the creme bouquet I used one tsp vanilla and one teaspoon creme bouquet because it smelled pretty lemony and I didn't want it to be overpowering.
I baked about 30 or 40 cookies of each type and had all the office do a taste test with a scale of one to ten. Then I tested a few family members and a couple of best friends.
The Princess Cake and Cookie won with the Creme bouquet in second and maple third. All three scored really high.
It was fun and everyone volunteered to test anytime I wanted to try new flavors. icon_lol.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 52

I've wanted to try that PC&C, but it's so expensive & what if I don't like it? I've just not been a fan of CB. Now if I could get cookies to turn out like the maple cream ones I got in Canada I would be set. I had to restrain myself from eating them all.

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 52

I make:

plain
chocolate
strawberry
lemon
peanut butter
cinnamon spice

I want to experiment with chocolate cookies and mint icing, for a chocolate mint cookie.

cakekrayzie- what do you do for coconut flavor, if you don't mind sharing?

I am just starting out for selling cookies and I don't charge extra for different flavors. I figure the price per cookie is plenty to make up for the little bit of flavor that I would use. If I add an extra fee I don't think I would sell any. LOL

dandelion56602 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:39pm
post #14 of 52

For my coconut I just use coconut extract & it's soooo yummy & always get great compliments. I just replace all or 3/4 of the vanilla w/ the coconut extract

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:59am
post #15 of 52

So let me get this right.....you can use the NFSC recipe and just change the flavoring and you get all those delicious cookies you're talking about? icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif or you need a different recipe for each one of this flavors? icon_confused.gif

miny Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:03am
post #16 of 52

Ok, wait , I think I wasn't very clear, I know I can't get ALL the flavors from one batch but I meat: you just need to change the flavoring to the desired flavor?

dandelion56602 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:07am
post #17 of 52

I just change up the flavoring & you get an entirely new cookie

miny Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:36am
post #18 of 52

Thanks for your help dandelion icon_biggrin.gif

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:48pm
post #19 of 52

My dh loves the NFSC with raspberry extract. Same recipe miny, just use the raspberry instead of almond. (I use both vanilla and almond in my NfSC). So I still use the vanilla but add raspberry. They are yummy but most of my customers prefer plain ole vanilla sugar cookies.
I've tried orange also. Very good.

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:11am
post #20 of 52

momkiksbutt,
I tried your grandma's recipe this weekend with raspberry jello and it was a hit...my family loved it and it was so easy so to make...thanks again for sharing....I will be making them again... icon_lol.gif

miny Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:38am
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

just use the raspberry instead of almond. (I use both vanilla and almond in my NfSC). So I still use the vanilla but add raspberry.
I've tried orange also. Very good.

Mmmmmmm great idea toleshed, I don't really sell them so I can try a lot of different flavors, icon_smile.gif thanks a million for the tip. I just bought several different flavors of Lorann, can I use them or I need extracts or different oils? icon_confused.gif

toleshed Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 9:15am
post #22 of 52

I use McCormicks raspberry extract. I have tried several different brands but always come back to that one.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:34am
post #23 of 52

I always use NFSC, but found that using McCormick Vanilla ButterNut flavoring has gotten the best compliments. I want to use different extracts with NFSC this year and see what happens! Thinking of doing large cookie favors for my class reunion next year, so have to find the best flavor that most folks will like.

deb

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:24am
post #24 of 52

momkiksbutt, THANKS so much for the yummy recipe, I can't wait to try it.

This is a great thread, I always use almond in my NFSC recipe, can't wait to try the raspberry and the vanilla butternut!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Lisa2416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa2416 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:13pm
post #25 of 52

I LOVE this thread! I can't wait to get home from work so I can give some new flavors a try. My MIL brought me 2 boxes FULL of new cookie cutters last night. Yippee! Guess what I will be doing tonight? icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:09pm
post #26 of 52

Miny, if you use Lorann's concentrates (the ones that come in 1 dram bottles) you won't need near as much as you would of an extract.

toleshed Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:13am
post #27 of 52

Wow - what a great MIL Lisa2416. Lucky you.
momlittr - where do you find the vanilla butternut. That sounds awesome. I will try that one.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:42am
post #28 of 52

The McCormick vanilla butternut flavor is in the food stores, but not all of them. I cannot find it here in my neck of the woods in NJ, but found it in a food store in Florida and in PA where we go camping! Go figure! I know Lorann also makes a vanilla butternut flavoring, which is equally as good if not better. All this cookie talk, now I have to find time to make some!

deb

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:01am
post #29 of 52

Geez Ladies, you all just had to go and post all these different flavors, huh?? Now i'll be makin' cookies for the next two weeks!!!

miny Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:27am
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Miny, if you use Lorann's concentrates (the ones that come in 1 dram bottles) you won't need near as much as you would of an extract.

Thanks, I'll let you know my favorite flavor soon, (around 4 lbs from today) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%